Are you a day tripper, Weekender, Weeker, Full Timer?

• HTML tutorial

I am mostly...

• Total voters

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

We started out day hiking at our local national forest. We have now branched out visiting other national forest which require a over night stay. So we have started camping and overlanding on hopefully at least once a month

Sent from my SM-T713 using OB Talk mobile app

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Do to work we are mostly weekenders - but we do go out for longer trips when we can get the time off to do so. Actually when Kathy can get the time off as I am currently unemployed but working hard at down sizing and working towards moving to a smaller out of California spot.

We are also 50% of the time towing our trailer out to boon docking areas the other 50% we truck camp and get further off the beaten paths.

GrayGhost

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oysterville, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG4PT
Mostly a day tripper, as we have lots of critters that require twice daily love and attention. But we occasionally get away for a few day trip.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Due to the lack of off roading in my area, my fiance and I are weekend warriors. If we make the drive out to somewhere with decent campable trails, we're not going to want to make the drive back the same day!

36degreesNorth

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sabens
Right now my wife and I are mostly day trippers taking time to go places that are not that far away and using back road routes to get there. We are in the middle/end part of building a new house so are get away time and funds have been limited. We have said that we want to make better use of our vehicles this fall and explore some more.

Wabbit

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Somewhere out yonder
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Bru
Member #

Being active duty military, in a country that doesn't embrace off-roading in any sort of sense of the word and having 18 month olds twins to top it off....I mostly live vicariously through you all.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
When I hit the road for adventuring, camping, and exploring America, I'm usually gone for extended lengths of time and include as much off-grid and primitive camping as I can, but also have no problem exploring cities and small towns. To me, that's what vehicle-dependent exploring and adventuring is and what people started doing as soon as there were vehicles to do it with. Hell, they did that before vehicles, with camel trains, on horseback, or strings of elephants.

I don't really care if I fit into someone else's mold of what's expected or not. I'm going to keep on doing things the way I have for decades; long trips in my vehicle of choice exploring whenever and wherever I can and is allowed.

Early vehicle-dependent explorers didn't stick to just undeveloped dirt roads or rugged back-country, and many of them took along the finest of things like "spats, linen tablecloths, crystal glassware," etc. If their exploring took them through villages, cultural spots, and urban centers, they used it to their advantage and greater knowledge, traded with locals, partied a little bit, then got on their way again, usually all the better for all parties involved.

This last adventure I was on started end of August as a 3-4 week gear gathering trip in which I wanted to test and experiment with new gear, including a new off-road trailer, a bunch of used gear, an awning, a ground tent, a roof-top tent, kitchen set-ups, just a whole shitload of stuff I plan to use in different ways for family camping, small group workshops, potential off-grid construction projects, and extended base-camping. The trip ended up being just over sixteen weeks and 12,500 miles, and I got back to one of the places where I keep things just before the holidays.

Was the best, most-relaxing, self-fulfilling and regenerative time I've had in years. I can't wait to get back out there and have been researching and planning my next adventure.

See you all out there somewhere, someday. . .

Road

View attachment 44635

View attachment 44634

View attachment 44636
That is one fine basecamp, now I know how to spot you when we are out and about. !!

Reactions: Road

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Previous to my retirement I had accumulated 25 days of vacation per year. So we found ourselves going out in the spring or fall for at least a 3 week tour. In addition to that we'd go local more than a few times a year for long weekends, usually late fall through early spring.

Retirement has changed the game. We now explore for long distance for 6 to 8 weeks at a time and go local/regionally more than a few times a year, however we still plan/have planned all of our long tours during the off-season, ie, Mid Sept, through middle May. Traveling way ^ north will change that schedule 180 degrees and we plan to begin going north by 2020.

2018 has been a no gamer so far. I do have an 4 night Expo run coming up with the TLCA in July locally. We may or may not take the grandkids to upstate NY or Vermont in August. However, we are planning a tour to arrive in N. California for Christmas, then after New Years weedle our way south and take in all the great deserts of California. Make way over to Grand Staircase, Moab, Painted Desert, and last, but certainly not least, Big Bend. Health problems suck. Especially when your entire life you have done everything right. My wife snapped her neck nearly 30 years ago, going over the top of her road bicycle. I was directly behind her, I'll never forget it. The doctors told us that she'd be having trouble when near her mid 50's. Trouble? =s pain...... Surgery last Feb was partially successful. ( for any medical folks, C2 bi-lateral ganglionectomy ) She still has C3 pain. RFA's are in order next month and the pain will be relieved as the RFA procedure administered annually has done just that for several years. Forgive me, I carry on.

I've made good use of our time at home and been working on my rig with anal retentive PMs and buttoning up all the Cruzer's oil leaks. I've also devoted some time to organizing, lightening, and compacting our gear. Today I'm ordering a chainsaw carry case.

2019 will kick major butt. 2020? through trip, Canadien Rockies, north then left to Alaska

RedPreRunner4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Covington, Ga
Member #

Here in Georgia I work around the weather. Since I have two loves, the mountains and the lake I split my weekends between the two based on temperatures. From May to September I spend any free weekend at the lake wakeboarding and riding jet skis. Between mid-September and early May is when I go on overland trips to the North Georgia mountains and surrounding areas. I typically try to leave work early on Friday and come back late Sunday afternoon/evening but once a month I am required to work a Saturday so in that case I will take the prior Monday off, giving myself a nice long weekend that week.

I only have two buddies that overland with me right now and one just sold his Tacoma after it was having some transmission issues. I am no stranger to solo trips and even though my family and friends think I am nuts for doing so, they are great chances to escape life and keep things really simple for a couple days.

J&J Offroad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Soulsbyville, CA 95372, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kramer
Member #

[QUOTE="What are you? How often do you hit the trail?[/QUOTE]
My wife and I average about 50 nights year. Sometimes it's just for the weekend. Other times its spring break, Thanksgiving break or several long weeks in the summertime. We get away with this because she is a teacher and I work for a company that thinks we should work so that we can go play.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Well before overlanding it was called boondocking. If your driving your vehicle across non paved roads or trails to do dispersed camping then your overlanding. Just camping out of your vehicle on pavement would be boondocking.

Reactions: Tray

Tray

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB5TRA
Trying to work hard this summer and hopefully beyond to incorporate more time away from work and spend as much of that as possible with the family outside and camping. So we’ll see where this will take us and try and enjoy the trip(s).

COREadventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Burch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6WGG
Weekends mostly, with a few week plus long trips. Would love to get out for longer trips but I have to pay the bills.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

I retired in 2017 and my wife in 2018. So far this year we've been on two trips totalling about 55 days. We have one more planned for after Labor Day which will be in the 3-4 week range so we're making up for lost time :). At this point, we're thinking the northern Rockies up to Alaska in 2020.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

BROFESSOR,

I'm with you, up until recently I had not heard of the term "overlanding". It really just seems to be all the outdoor activities I love rolled into one! Maybe its something I've done my whole life...I just never labeled it as overlanding.

Interesting thread,

- Tyler
Funny I just had that same conversation with another member.