Are my wheels and tires big enough to off-road!?

• HTML tutorial

Tacodrew22

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Michigan, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Haight
Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum and frankly new to off-road and “Overlanding” in general. I have a 2022 Tacoma Trd-off-road with a 2” suspension lift. I drove around with the stock wheels and tires for awhile but, this past week I upgraded. I really wanted to keep the stock driving characteristic of the truck. I drove most of my time on road. But I wanted to make my truck able to handle off-roading and trails on the weekend camping trips. I live in Michigan and most of the trails aren’t too bad as I did them stock but would like to make a trip out west to ride some of the harder trails. I ended up going with method mr701 16x8 0 offset wrapped in 265/70R16 cooper discover rugged trek tires. But now after looking into it I feel maybe these won’t be quite big enough. Looking for some knowledge from some veteran off-roaders. Will I be able to tackle off-roading and Overlanding with this setup. Thanks in advance. Happy Labor Day!!C7E4ACD2-3E10-4D45-8CAC-CF59F8F00491.jpeg2166F884-C55C-4F94-9417-E75C36685F03.jpeg76B60896-2657-44A4-B9E7-B4F2F603F929.jpeg836D6116-D326-4091-85B7-0DFA9513E14C.jpeg

Last edited:

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Nice rig. That Tacoma is a very useable, capable vehicle even with the tires you have. Never underestimate a stock Tacoma. I know, I just sold my 2019 so I could haul a big trailer.
Go out and have some fun with a few friends and you'll figure out where your stopping point is. Then build from there.
Zim
truck snow1.JPG

Patman

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Hollister, Ca
First Name
Patrik
Last Name
Hultin
Member #

Here's the secret that no current marketing department wants you to know......

YES

I don't even need to know what size tire you have, the answer is still yes.

There may be places your tire size may limit you, but don't let that stop you.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

It really all depends on your comfort level. but I will say that you should take it slow and get to know what you are doing before diving head first into more challenging trails. This was my bone stock jeep compass on a trail that most would think it had no business on, or would never make it through. I have a lot of years of rock crawling, trail running, and back country camping under my belt, which makes me a little more cofortable than most when out doing things like this.
282225882_2667317790078614_7941699413898305238_n.jpg
there are a few things to keep in mind when you go out and start trying new trails of a higher caliber.
1. pick your battles. you need to drive it home after the trail and repairs can be expensive. leave your pride at home and thing carefully about obstacles before you run in head first.
2. tread lightly. slow speeds and minimal wheel spin is always preferred. there may be time when you need the skinny pedal a little more than others but make sure that its necessary because this could bring you back to point #1. and more wheel speed can equal higher chance of breaking something.
3. knowing how to fix things will increase confidence. if you know how everything works and know how to get yourself back to civilization if something goes wrong, it can really help you make better decisions and know at what point you are pushing your vehicle too far.
4. assess the best line. If need be, get out and walk ahead, measure water depth, generally just try to take the path of least resistance. while you are learning you may think a line looks good and it may end up not being the right way, but that's the learning part. don't get discouraged, but also keep in mind that you don't want to tear up the trail trying. If it doesn't work after a few tries, re assess and maybe you can see where the pros and cons of certain lines are, and how the vehicle will react over certain terrain.
5. when at all possible go with others who know the area. others that know the trail will know the best lines, whether a water crossing its too deep, or deeper on one side. this also gives you someone to lean on for recoveries and trail repairs a little more if needed.
6. carry recovery gear. this can help in many ways from trail clearing to general recovery. I usually carry straps, shackles, tools, a few spare parts, fuses, grease, and some rags. every kit will be different and need to be catered to specific needs. traction boards can be used in light stuck situations but if you are hung up on a rock they aren't going to do any good, hi-lift jacks cam tug you a few feet but if its a long pull to get out of mud they wont do you much good... or at least not quickly.
7. go prepared. almost every seasoned off roader has a story of a time when they were out alone and got a little too comfortable. I decided to leave a trail at night once, not super comfortable with the trail as it had a lot of trails leading off it. found myself in the middle of a bog, no trees close enough to winch from and hung up on a log in what was referred to by my friends a day later during a recovery as "loon shit" .... pretty accurate. description. I walked 10km out to the road to get cell signal after sleeping in the Jeep all night with a pack of wolves outside, broke both rear shocks, tore the rear locker wiring apart and tore apart a front wheel and brakes from spinning in mud against a log for a few hours while trying to recover it before a called for help.
125557219_821788651933092_4187826988476977736_n.jpg
even with any bad scenario, unless the engine blows, there is a good chance it can always drive home ... if you know how to patch is together with zip ties and duct tape ( which i dont recomend unless worst case scenario).

I hope this helps. everyone has questions starting out. don't be afraid to ask questions along the way.

Attachments

Tacodrew22

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Michigan, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Haight
Love the off-roading in the compass! I had a lifted Outback with a manual for a little bit and that actually got me started with the off-road stuff. When I got the Tacoma it made every trail feel like a walk in the park in comparison. But then as I started to do some more research it seems like everyone is pushing for the biggest size wheel and tire they can crame on their vehicle. Thanks for the peace of mind I appreciate all the helpful reply’s. I look forward to making some more post about my future adventures!BC34DE6F-01A5-47AD-B916-E8AA3354E9D6.jpeg

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Automatic short answer, yes.

After I looked at what you have, I'm staying with that. Go out and run the wheels off it, tire size isn't going to stop you.

Any significant change in tire size will necessitate other changes (and costs) like lift, gears, better brakes, etc.

Nice truck!

05EXCURSION

Rank VI

Influencer I

Renton, King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lujan
Member #

Tire size don't matter that much it's your driving skill that will take you places. Sure some off road parks give guidelines for trails, but you see stock vehicles out there with modified vehicles with no issues. Take it slow and see what your limitations are and what modifications will help over come them

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
What is wrong which everyone? You need at least a 42” tire in order to have any fun whatsoever. 18” lift, portal axles, twin stick, rear steer, 6.56 gearing and bob that rear end. Oh! I just looked at your photo, it’s a Toyota, never mind, you won’t need any of the above.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Yes. If you ever have the desire to start stepping up the difficulty in terrain it's smarter to pick-up and build out an off-road mostly rig and keep your current truck comfortable. Most use their rig as their daily driver so 95% of the miles are on pavement for daily life. While that could limit you regarding a specific trail there are thousands of others you can do instead. As you get out more your style will become more obvious and then you can start planning the upgrades or next vehicle. Right now, save the coin and get out more.

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

I currently run tires that are just under 32". I've run 37" on my jeep before this truck.

With the exception of large ledge/step obstacles, I have no real troubles that are tire related. Knowing that the tire choice was going to keep my rig lower to the ground I run real rock rails and full skid plates. I have drug the trucks belly over stuff.

Pros:
Can find the smaller sizes easier when traveling.

Cost less.

Fuel mileage between trails is drastically better.

Cons:

Overall ground clearance is reduced.

Some obstacles are just a no-go.

Doesn't look near as "cool".

Cost way more per tire.

Matching spare can require more mods to carry.

Attachments

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
What is wrong which everyone? You need at least a 42” tire in order to have any fun whatsoever. 18” lift, portal axles, twin stick, rear steer, 6.56 gearing and bob that rear end. Oh! I just looked at your photo, it’s a Toyota, never mind, you won’t need any of the above.
Baller. LMAO
Zim

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Drove a stock ‘17 TRDOR (did install RCI Rock Sliders before the trip) around the Canyonlands Maze District and the Needles Colorado River Overlook trail, no issues (except when slipped off a rock next to a wall rock but the rock sliders paid for themselves preventing body damage!). Earlier this year, upgraded the diff ratio to 4.88s (auto trans on 265/75r16 Cooper Discoverer ATPs), huge improvement with drive ability driving on hilly & mountain roads.

I’ve driven my TJ Rubicon 5sd manual with only a 2” lift on 265/75r16 Cooper ATPs on a lot of the CANY NP red trails (Maze & Needle Districts) without issue.

Like others have said, you don’t need to chase the hype unless that is your desire. I’ve actually reversed direction and have reduced my “oohh ahhh” gear to save weight and still have fun (still more than backpacking). My TJ rear springs actually suspend the Jeep on rocky trails instead of testing bump stop durability.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

It really depends on what you want to do off-roading. I'm completely fine with a stock Rubicon, as I don't do any crazy rock hopping. I find the stock Rubicon, with sway bar disconnect and front and rear lockers more than capabable to get where I want to go pulling my Turtleback.

One thing to consider that I learned in field repair at PNW Overland Expo. Your stock vehicle is precisely engineered for exactly the tires that you have on it stock. Bigger tires are heavier, and put additional strain on the u-joints, axles, suspension, etc. Bigger tires required consideration of changing gear ratios, and beefing up all components of the axles and drive train to manage the increased weight and load.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

At first, tires are never big enough and a rig is never capable enough...

You will always find something that you can not get through or over no matter what you do.
So of course your tires are big enough, your Tacoma was probably capable enough when it was completely stock!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

As always, OB can be counted on to deliver excellent advice.

I'm mostly echoing what's been said already, but absolutely yes you can. To give you even more confidence, my first 4wd was this:
Ganbaru.jpg
1999 Honda CR-V. This pic was before I even put bigger 235 tires on it. Those are 205/75/15's. I drove this thing to the top of many a mountain, across creeks, through door sill deep flooded trails, and generally all over the place, and it doesn't even have low range, just an extra low first gear. The most fun thing about driving it was watching the jeeper's jaws drop when they saw it at the top of the mountain lol

So yes, you absolutely can off road your truck. Driver skill and knowledge is the number one most critical mod, followed by tires and good recovery gear. As mentioned, OB is a fantastic resource to have access to.

Have at 'er and enjoy the wild places! :)

ps. I agree about cutting off the steps, assuming they're proper sliders, otherwise maybe just replace with proper rock sliders.

Last edited:

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
You must've been stalking my Jeep Gladiator forum. lol

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum and frankly new to off-road and “Overlanding” in general. I have a 2022 Tacoma Trd-off-road with a 2” suspension lift. I drove around with the stock wheels and tires for awhile but, this past week I upgraded. I really wanted to keep the stock driving characteristic of the truck. I drove most of my time on road. But I wanted to make my truck able to handle off-roading and trails on the weekend camping trips. I live in Michigan and most of the trails aren’t too bad as I did them stock but would like to make a trip out west to ride some of the harder trails. I ended up going with method mr701 16x8 0 offset wrapped in 265/70R16 cooper discover rugged trek tires. But now after looking into it I feel maybe these won’t be quite big enough. Looking for some knowledge from some veteran off-roaders. Will I be able to tackle off-roading and Overlanding with this setup. Thanks in advance. Happy Labor Day!!View attachment 239932View attachment 239934View attachment 239933View attachment 239936
I had a stock '98 Tacoma for 20 years that took me to all sorts of fun spots. You'll be fine.