ARB JACK vs. Hi-Lift Jack

• HTML tutorial

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Last month I went out with Harry Wagner and Bradd Davidsonto test and shoot photos and video of the new ARB Hydraulic Jack for off road vehicles. I did a test of each lifting Harry’s Jeep LJ. My conclusions are that the ARB JACKis a far better and safer tool for lifting a vehicle than a Hi-Lift JackIf you can afford one. Most of us can’t because we’ve already spend 3 months salary on Yeti coolers and drink cups.
You can see how the JACK works and how a Hi-Lift Jack barely works, in the video. Below are excerpts from Harry’s articles about the ARB JACKand Hi-Lift Jacks on The Dirt.

The ARB JACK Review: Is This The Best Jack For The Trail? by Harry Wagner
ARB-JACK-DETAIL.jpg
For decades the handyman jack has been a staple on the trail, but now ARB has built a better mousetrap. Handyman jacks, or trail jacks, are relatively inexpensive, tough as nails, and simple. So is the ARB JACK (while confusing, it is actually called JACK) a product looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist? We don’t think so, as it addresses many of the issues that have plagued handyman jacks since their inception. These include instability when lifting, pins that stick when they are exposed to the elements, and difficulty in lifting heavy vehicles. Oh, and they can also break your jaw if your hands happen to slip off the handle when you are raising your vehicle. So there is that. [Photo by Harry Wagner]
READ MORE

How To Use A Hi-Lift Jack: The Best And Safest Ways To Use An Essential Off-Road Tool by Harry Wagner
Using-A-Hi-Lift-Jack.jpg
There are few tools for your 4x4 that are as tough, versatile, and inexpensive as the ubiquitous Hi-Lift jack. The basic design by Bloomfield Manufacturing dates back over 100 years. Cast steel construction and a 7,000-lb. capacity means that the Hi-Lift you buy could last you the next 100 years. They can lift your vehicle, clamp together broken parts, spread bent cage tubes, and even winch you out of situations that would otherwise leave you stranded. Hi-Lift jacks can also be dangerous with the potential to cause smashed fingers, missing teeth, and concussions. That doesn’t mean that you need to be afraid of these tools. You just need to have a healthy respect for them and learn how to use them properly. The trick is to learn the easy way and not the hard way. [Photo by Harry Wagner]
READ MORE

My own personal conclusions?

Well, the ARB JACK is clearly easier, safer and faster to use. The Hi-Lift is more versitile, and as we all know, very durable. We've all had a H-Lift bouncing around for many years that "works" when we need it. How well the ARB follows suit remains to be seen. If you're the kind of person who has a Yeti Cooler and upgraded headlights, the I'm guessing you'll get the ARB JACK. If you're like me and you have a Coleman Extreme and whatever headlights the previous owner installed, then you're with me in the Hi-Lift camp.

Whatever you do, I think we all need to recognize the hazards of a mechanical jack and be vigilant each and every time we use one.

-Mike

Paris0514

Local Expert Kansas City MO
Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
I would agree the safety of the hydraulic jack from ARB is inherently more safe.

The mechanical jack has to have a lot of respect when using. There are multiple pinch points and possible mechanical failures that can occur with the Hi-lift.

The ARB hydraulic jack operates more smoothly and is more controlled in my opinion.

The problems for ARB right now are: COST, COST, and lack of versatility.

I think the Jack will become cheaper. I also think ARB will eventually get the versatility there.

For now though, I’ll stick to the Hi-Lift.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Whatever you do, I think we all need to recognize the hazards of a mechanical jack and be vigilant each and every time we use one.
History shows no matter how diligent you are a highlift will eventually hurt you.
Most government vehicles no longer have them due to the workers comp claims.
I'll trust the Insurance Industry and keep my highlift here.
IMG_0267.jpeg
Even the auto industry quit using them 40 years ago.
But they are great post pullers.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Born, raised and live in farm country. Havn't known anyone yet injured using a farm jack that can't be taken care of with a bandaid or a lot of cussing. If you "trust" the insurance industry there are a ton of items one mustn't use.

However - if someone is dead set against using these, and must have a hydraulic one, why not go with something like the Blackhawk Automotive 8-Ton Long Ram Air/Manual Hydraulic Jack? At least with this one you have the choice of how you want to jack it up. It's also 1/3 the cost.

The base on the BA jack appears to be more substantial and safer than the ARB one - of course, ARB has a separate base you have to buy. If I were an insurance person I'd be all over that.

Reactions: Paris0514

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

In my research i did find this: KAIWOE Hydraulic Toe Jack 10ton Capacity From Toolots

Also the Safe Jack is less than $300 and is a bottle jack kit with a base plate and extensions. Safe Jack - 4WD, Outdoor,Off road, 4X4 accessories and products.

-M
The closer I get to having Grover back on the road the more I've been looking at this type of stuff. I ran across the Safe Jack a couple years ago and have it on the list.

My brother did point something out - most of these jacks go with the assumption there will be enough clearance to use them. Being a 1st responder he's seen many instances when a jack was needed but there wasn't enough clearance. They will use a balloon jack in these cases. He suggested having a small one of these on hand as well.

Reactions: Wolfy

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
The closer I get to having Grover back on the road the more I've been looking at this type of stuff. I ran across the Safe Jack a couple years ago and have it on the list.

My brother did point something out - most of these jacks go with the assumption there will be enough clearance to use them. Being a 1st responder he's seen many instances when a jack was needed but there wasn't enough clearance. They will use a balloon jack in these cases. He suggested having a small one of these on hand as well.
Yeah, That's where a toe jack somes into play. The ARB and Hi-Lift will do that, but a Bottle Jack won't unless you use a bumper.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Well, nothing works with no clearance. But you can get a hi lift or ARB in if there's a few inches of clearance.
The wife has a small sports car that has been in storage at her parents' place for several years. She recently decided to move it to a different location in preparation for restoration. When we went to do so all 4 tires were flat. There wasn't enough clearance for any of the toe jacks at our disposal. My brother brought over the balloon jack he has in his recovery setup. Worked great.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Reactions: 64Trvlr and bmwguru

Paris0514

Local Expert Kansas City MO
Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
History shows no matter how diligent you are a highlift will eventually hurt you.
Most government vehicles no longer have them due to the workers comp claims.
I'll trust the Insurance Industry and keep my highlift here.
View attachment 113686
Even the auto industry quit using them 40 years ago.
But they are great post pullers.
Fire Department still use and train on the Hi-Lift for manual extractions. Just because insurance denounces it doesn’t mean there is not an appropriate use for it.

The hi-lift is a tool. Like most tools it should be used as designed and maintained to insure you are not injured by inappropriate actions or neglect of the tool.

If we went by the insurance you’d never use a grinder.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Fire Department still use and train on the Hi-Lift for manual extractions. Just because insurance denounces it doesn’t mean there is not an appropriate use for it.

The hi-lift is a tool. Like most tools it should be used as designed and maintained to insure you are not injured by inappropriate actions or neglect of the tool.

If we went by the insurance you’d never use a grinder.
My wife is in upper management with an industrial insurance company - things like sports teams, airlines, cargo shipping companies, heavy industry and such. Her company was 1 of the 3 primary insurers for the World Trade Center complex. She got her start in workmans comp claims adjustment. I told her about this. She checked the database for the clients her branch deals with - not a single jack claim of this type. The only ones she found involved jacks you use to jack up buildings and trains. However, claims dealing with saws, grinders and drills - especially drills - are very common.

Also, she and looked at the design aspect from an insurance and legal aspect. I have a legal background in re industrial tort law; part of my job was finding "foreseeability" issues that could cost the company. Most jacks sold out there, for uses such as ours, have stability issues and manufacturers create was around it. The ARB jack is one of the worse base designs. Yes, they make a bad for it, at an extra cost, yet it basically tells the legal world there's a flaw. Even if they have warnings all over it, the wife even said the company she's with would be all over it in litigation if they had a major payout due to that little foot pad that moves.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Tractor Supply has a bottle jack/stand 11-21" range, very stable for lifting at the axle or frame if your low enough. This is a $55 jack.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Last month I went out with Harry Wagner and Bradd Davidsonto test and shoot photos and video of the new ARB Hydraulic Jack for off road vehicles. I did a test of each lifting Harry’s Jeep LJ. My conclusions are that the ARB JACKis a far better and safer tool for lifting a vehicle than a Hi-Lift JackIf you can afford one. Most of us can’t because we’ve already spend 3 months salary on Yeti coolers and drink cups.
You can see how the JACK works and how a Hi-Lift Jack barely works, in the video. Below are excerpts from Harry’s articles about the ARB JACKand Hi-Lift Jacks on The Dirt.

The ARB JACK Review: Is This The Best Jack For The Trail? by Harry Wagner
View attachment 113608
For decades the handyman jack has been a staple on the trail, but now ARB has built a better mousetrap. Handyman jacks, or trail jacks, are relatively inexpensive, tough as nails, and simple. So is the ARB JACK (while confusing, it is actually called JACK) a product looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist? We don’t think so, as it addresses many of the issues that have plagued handyman jacks since their inception. These include instability when lifting, pins that stick when they are exposed to the elements, and difficulty in lifting heavy vehicles. Oh, and they can also break your jaw if your hands happen to slip off the handle when you are raising your vehicle. So there is that. [Photo by Harry Wagner]
READ MORE

How To Use A Hi-Lift Jack: The Best And Safest Ways To Use An Essential Off-Road Tool by Harry Wagner
View attachment 113609
There are few tools for your 4x4 that are as tough, versatile, and inexpensive as the ubiquitous Hi-Lift jack. The basic design by Bloomfield Manufacturing dates back over 100 years. Cast steel construction and a 7,000-lb. capacity means that the Hi-Lift you buy could last you the next 100 years. They can lift your vehicle, clamp together broken parts, spread bent cage tubes, and even winch you out of situations that would otherwise leave you stranded. Hi-Lift jacks can also be dangerous with the potential to cause smashed fingers, missing teeth, and concussions. That doesn’t mean that you need to be afraid of these tools. You just need to have a healthy respect for them and learn how to use them properly. The trick is to learn the easy way and not the hard way. [Photo by Harry Wagner]
READ MORE

My own personal conclusions?

Well, the ARB JACK is clearly easier, safer and faster to use. The Hi-Lift is more versitile, and as we all know, very durable. We've all had a H-Lift bouncing around for many years that "works" when we need it. How well the ARB follows suit remains to be seen. If you're the kind of person who has a Yeti Cooler and upgraded headlights, the I'm guessing you'll get the ARB JACK. If you're like me and you have a Coleman Extreme and whatever headlights the previous owner installed, then you're with me in the Hi-Lift camp.

-Mike
Off topic... Or is it?

Less than 30 seconds in and already admiring Mike’s cap from Draplin Design. Envious...

Will regain my composure and watch the rest of the video.