ARB awning, please HELP

• HTML tutorial

Hefty Smurf

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I’ve searched the forums before posting, I promise. I’m leaving for WY in 2 weeks and want to add an ARB 2500 awning. I have Yakima round bars and am looking for mounting solutions. Does anyone know if the Yakima Slim Shady mounting hardware will work with the ARB awning? Are the ARB mounting brackets worth the extra $ ($23 each on amazon)? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. If I’m over thinking this please say so.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

The yakima ones dont look like theyll work with the ARB. Looks like they mount to the bottom of the slim shady. ARB mounts are in back of the awning.
On our last rig we had the oval yakima bars and we just drilled thru them and bolted on L brackets. Not sure how that would work with round bars.
Yakima is bad about making stuff that only works with their own stuff. We took off the tent mount brackets from our Yakima tent when we got a real bedrack cuz they wouldnt fit on the new bars. We just bolted the tent down right onto the bars.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I figured as much. Thanks

Any thoughts on 2 vs 3 mounting points?
2 should be fine. I have never had 3 so hard to tell what difference it would make.

Hefty Smurf

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Figured it out. I had an Inno surf board rack I swiped the mounting brackets off of and bolted them up to the ARB brackets. I don’t care what ARB says those brackets are not meant to be used with Yakima round bars. I had hoped to use Ubolts, as so many others seem to do, but just wasn’t comfortable with the clearance. This setup is solid but not permanent. Thank heavens my Dad’s a welder and can fabricate me a new bracket. Now i just have to wait for him to finish them...

Attachments

alx_alx_69

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hope Mills, NC USA
Member #

If you find yourself still running in to issues, hit up Greg at Gzila Designs, I have all my stuff on my roof rack using his mounting hardware...check them out at this link-Mods

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

Just wanted to review the cheapo Ebay awnings. I bought one. The frames are decently made and i like the telescopic legs, but...... the awning material is VERY thin. I punctured it first day with one of the screws on the frame. You get what you pay for.

MDV Hank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Islamorada, FL, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Stark
Member #

I purchased the ARB 2000 Touring awning (6.5ft x 8ft) and deluxe room for my 2015 JKU but also for my small enclosed trailer. I have the Yakima round bars with gutter mounts. I purchased the ARB awning mounting brackets but like everyone else had to come up with a way to mount on the round bars. I used a piece of 1/4 " thick aluminum plate (4x7), 4 U bolts and 4 bolts to mount bracket. As you can see in the photos the plate is extended outward from the round bars to give a greater spread for the mounting brackets to the awning. I was limited by the rain gutters on the JKU. I made a 2500 mile trip with this set-up and no issues at all. I also liked having the awning tucked closer to the roofline. IMG_4733 2.jpegIMG_4737.jpegIMG_4738.jpegIMG_4729.jpegIMG_4732.jpegIMG_4766.jpeg

Alan S

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

windsor ca
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

I purchased the ARB 2000 Touring awning (6.5ft x 8ft) and deluxe room for my 2015 JKU but also for my small enclosed trailer. I have the Yakima round bars with gutter mounts. I purchased the ARB awning mounting brackets but like everyone else had to come up with a way to mount on the round bars. I used a piece of 1/4 " thick aluminum plate (4x7), 4 U bolts and 4 bolts to mount bracket. As you can see in the photos the plate is extended outward from the round bars to give a greater spread for the mounting brackets to the awning. I was limited by the rain gutters on the JKU. I made a 2500 mile trip with this set-up and no issues at all. I also liked having the awning tucked closer to the roofline. View attachment 119431View attachment 119432View attachment 119433View attachment 119434View attachment 119435View attachment 119436
Nice simple solution, I have Yakima round bars on my rig and will try this method to attach awning to it. Thanks!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I’ve searched the forums before posting, I promise. I’m leaving for WY in 2 weeks and want to add an ARB 2500 awning. I have Yakima round bars and am looking for mounting solutions. Does anyone know if the Yakima Slim Shady mounting hardware will work with the ARB awning? Are the ARB mounting brackets worth the extra $ ($23 each on amazon)? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. If I’m over thinking this please say so.
Are the round bars just the cross rails or are you referring to a basket? I have an ARB awning mounted to my Yakima basket using FourTreks mounts. These mounts are very pretty and stout. Probably overkill but they are super nice and offer a bit of adjustment. FourTreks makes some bomb mounts.