ARB awning, please HELP

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Hefty Smurf

Rank I

Contributor I

I’ve searched the forums before posting, I promise. I’m leaving for WY in 2 weeks and want to add an ARB 2500 awning. I have Yakima round bars and am looking for mounting solutions. Does anyone know if the Yakima Slim Shady mounting hardware will work with the ARB awning? Are the ARB mounting brackets worth the extra $ ($23 each on amazon)? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. If I’m over thinking this please say so.

chuckoverland

Rank VI

Advocate I

Spokane, WA
Member #

The yakima ones dont look like theyll work with the ARB. Looks like they mount to the bottom of the slim shady. ARB mounts are in back of the awning.
On our last rig we had the oval yakima bars and we just drilled thru them and bolted on L brackets. Not sure how that would work with round bars.
Yakima is bad about making stuff that only works with their own stuff. We took off the tent mount brackets from our Yakima tent when we got a real bedrack cuz they wouldnt fit on the new bars. We just bolted the tent down right onto the bars.

Hefty Smurf

Rank I

Contributor I

Figured it out. I had an Inno surf board rack I swiped the mounting brackets off of and bolted them up to the ARB brackets. I don’t care what ARB says those brackets are not meant to be used with Yakima round bars. I had hoped to use Ubolts, as so many others seem to do, but just wasn’t comfortable with the clearance. This setup is solid but not permanent. Thank heavens my Dad’s a welder and can fabricate me a new bracket. Now i just have to wait for him to finish them...

Attachments

alx_alx_69

Rank II

Traveler I

Hope Mills, NC USA
Member #

If you find yourself still running in to issues, hit up Greg at Gzila Designs, I have all my stuff on my roof rack using his mounting hardware...check them out at this link-Mods

Edy Coyote

Rank V

Traveler I

Denver CO
Member #

Just wanted to review the cheapo Ebay awnings. I bought one. The frames are decently made and i like the telescopic legs, but...... the awning material is VERY thin. I punctured it first day with one of the screws on the frame. You get what you pay for.