Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Seems like I have one of the more simple setups. My Yaesu FTM-400XDR has a built-in GPS and TNC with full APRS support, the only trick has been initial testing with sending and receiving SMS messages, everything else was straight forward. About the only thing I've done with APRS outside of my radio is check aprs.fi to make sure my beacons are working. It's also handy to allow friends/family to follow our progress on trips.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
That's one of the reasons I got my Kenwood TM-D710GA. I showed how to follow my route on aprs.fi so when I'm out people can see where I am. And when I get to my campsite or if something goes wrong being able to send a quick message is nice.

I also have a Icom ID-51 that I recently figured out has a TNC. I knew it had GPS but it's easy to get my location transmitting on it.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Found my son's old Android and got it charged but found APRSDroid costs money. Not worried about the $5 to pay for it but not about to give the play store my credit card since we are all Apple users... Wonder if I could pay the creator directly and get a "redemption code" that is good on the play store???
As for not giving Google your creditcard. A quick trip to the local supermarket and you can pick up a $10 Google Play gift card. Pay cash and load that to your account.

In my research you can sideload the APRSDroid APK directly from the creator I agree that I would rather an option to donate on his site. Here is what I saw on the site:
"If you really like APRSdroid, you can support the author by buying the Google Play version. You will get automatic updates and a good feeling.​
You can also get the sources and follow the compilation instructions.​
It is also possible to download the APK for manual installation."​
Sideloading is a bit different on each phone but usually means finding an option under the phone's settings to allow installation from "Unknown sources" usually buried in the settings/Security menus.
One bonus of sideloading over the Google Play option is that you can choose the OfflineMaps Build then obtain and install a map for your area and not need constant net connection.

Boort

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I have something like Disk Commander on my droid and I load the apk on the external sd card and then through Disk Commander (or what ever it's called) I click on the program and it asks if I want to install it.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I have had good luck running DireWolf on a ras pi for TNC goodness when using an SDR for RX only. What cable(s) are you using to connect your Android to your HT/baofeng? I have a mobilinkd that works well with my baofeng but all of that has been on loan to a friend since minutes before the zombie apocolypse which is going on a year now. Played with mobilinkd a time or two before loaning it out and it seemed to work well; bought it mostly to see what it was all about and to loan to my friend to egg him on. I'm not a big fan of cables so tend towards radios with inbuilt TNC.

Found my son's old Android and got it charged but found APRSDroid costs money. Not worried about the $5 to pay for it but not about to give the play store my credit card since we are all Apple users... Wonder if I could pay the creator directly and get a "redemption code" that is good on the play store???
I just noticed that you asked me a question I never ordered. The cable I use is this one: It's the Btech APRS-K1 cable. It plugs into the headphone jack of my Android.

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety