Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

I don't understand how or why but once in a while the planets, moons, and stars align to a specific focal point.

The honest comment by @Wellspring was the start of the trajectory from the focal point: "East of the Mississippi has as many interesting places to travel to, and explore, it's just that nobody really covers the topics of places to travel to in the eastern part of the US as much as the publicity and number of published stories and YouTube exposure of the places to go to and visit west of the Mississippi West."

Hence, the reason for this "thread", created to be one of several ways to "showcase" the "overland experiences" in the "Appalachian Mountains and Valley" found within the U.S. East ("... covers the topics of places to travel to in the eastern part of the US ...").

Personally, soon after becoming member 29853 I found posts by @DevilDodge and @Xplorr313. I learned a lot from their posts about a few overland experiences available within a day's drive from home. The posts were also the catalyst for an appetite to begin a deeper and comprehensive inquiry into the overland opportunities available east of the Mississippi.

Hindsight? The "Appalachian Mountains and Valley" is only one of several topographical regions available east of the Mississippi River. Numerous square miles ready to explore :smirk:.

GreatAppalachianValley-map.jpg

Last edited:

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
I was just out in the GWNF this weekend (Ridge and Valley Appalachian mountains) and frankly I was quite impressed with how much dispersed camping/fun trails there were. I know you can't go for 150 miles on trail on the east coast but I think there are plenty of good opportunities for adventure. I'll check out these vids for inspiration, I have been looking at doing a 2ish week trip through VA, NC, TN and back up through WV. I think the biggest downside is due to the freeze/thaw cycle here, they do close a lot (but not all!) of the good FS roads for a few months in the winter.

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

I was just out in the GWNF this weekend (Ridge and Valley Appalachian mountains) and frankly I was quite impressed with how much dispersed camping/fun trails there were. I know you can't go for 150 miles on trail on the east coast but I think there are plenty of good opportunities for adventure. I'll check out these vids for inspiration, I have been looking at doing a 2ish week trip through VA, NC, TN and back up through WV. I think the biggest downside is due to the freeze/thaw cycle here, they do close a lot (but not all!) of the good FS roads for a few months in the winter.
Sounds like a good time!

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I never knew PA lacked for wilderness or off pavement travel until I started reading these type forums.

I have never wanted to travel out west, Do want to see Wyoming, so maybe I am jaded. But there is so much to offer in PA. Plenty of off pavement travel and free dispersed camping. After spending 40+ years just driving around...i finally started plotting out routes and campsites...i could be gone for months if I wanted to.

So here are some screen shots of PA wilderness and popular out west areas. Same zoom level.

They look pretty similar to me...except here in PA...people live in these areas too. So you may see a bit more civilization. And with our rolling hills...you do not get the wide open feel...but some of our vistas give it.Screenshot_20211208-204602.pngScreenshot_20211208-204915.png

Www.uncoveringPA.com

Www.pabucketlist.com

Thanks for putting this together @NJCoastal

Last edited:

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I've been able to do some exploring of the GW/ Jefferson and Monongahala Forests over the last year and a half. Have absolutely loved it! My goal this year is to get deeper west and south into WV. There is so much to see in this state. I do, however find it frustrating and a bit annoying of how many forest service roads are closed until the start of October hunting seasons.
Being born and raised in western PA, I do want to get up to the Allegheny NF and do some exploring. Never did that as a kid. I think my dad had enough of the outdoors in the south Pacific in WWII.

It is a bucket list item to get out west and do some exploring, but until such time that I can take the required time off from work to make it worthwhile, I'll have to visit vicariously through ewetube videos.

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
I've been able to do some exploring of the GW/ Jefferson and Monongahala Forests over the last year and a half. Have absolutely loved it! My goal this year is to get deeper west and south into WV. There is so much to see in this state. I do, however find it frustrating and a bit annoying of how many forest service roads are closed until the start of October hunting seasons.
Being born and raised in western PA, I do want to get up to the Allegheny NF and do some exploring. Never did that as a kid. I think my dad had enough of the outdoors in the south Pacific in WWII.

It is a bucket list item to get out west and do some exploring, but until such time that I can take the required time off from work to make it worthwhile, I'll have to visit vicariously through ewetube videos.
LMK if you need company :grinning:

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I came across this guy's channel awhile ago. He does his exploring via sportbike.

From what I've seen of his WV based explorations, he likes to run and explore abandoned state and county roads. I have mixed feelings about doing that after an experience I had a few years ago while out with a group. Most of the landowners along these abandoned roads have come to the mindset that the right of way is now part of their property. While legally not so, I'm not one to want to get into a p!$$ing match with some one over that. I really don't want to be potentially shot at. This is WV, after all. lol

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I came across this guy's channel awhile ago. He does his exploring via sportbike.

From what I've seen of his WV based explorations, he likes to run and explore abandoned state and county roads. I have mixed feelings about doing that after an experience I had a few years ago while out with a group. Most of the landowners along these abandoned roads have come to the mindset that the right of way is now part of their property. While legally not so, I'm not one to want to get into a p!$$ing match with some one over that. I really don't want to be potentially shot at. This is WV, after all. lol
That is why I like the Purple Lizard Maps. They meet with all of the different land owner types. If a road isnt on their map...you know not to go.

If a road is...and you have a current release...you know you are allowed to be there

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
Most of the landowners along these abandoned roads have come to the mindset that the right of way is now part of their property. While legally not so, I'm not one to want to get into a p!$$ing match with some one over that. I really don't want to be potentially shot at. This is WV, after all. lol
Hell, I've experienced similar with maintained, state owned gravel roads in Loudoun Co VA while gravel biking.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Unfortunately, and understandably, PL so far only has maps of the more popular areas in WV.
I don't remember if this guy is here on this forum, but he has some nice looking maps that I keep procrastinating to buy.

Reactions: Dusther210

Stormglove

Rank 0

Contributor I

Montgomery, AL, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Storm
Does anyone know the guy that used to have the appalachian byway maps? I keep seeing links to it but it appears the site is no more.

I'm trying to go from AL to DC sometime next month and would love to start planning it, but having difficulty finding trail .Gpx outside of the GA traverse that would help. Seems like the byway is what I want but can't find it anywhere. I will say it is my first time trying to do a long haul so a bit overwhelmed on the best place to find info and put it all together. Been researching onx and gaia so far.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@Stormglove I paid for the Appalachian Byway routes and my wife and I did all sections in PA,NJ and NY. It was almost ALL highway/ populated areas. In fact the route through NJ and NY was the same route we took when we used google maps from the PA/NJ border to Peekskill, NY. I think whoever made the Appalachian Byway is charging people for routes from google maps. To date it’s the only route I was disappointed with (and also the only one I paid for).

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@Stormglove I paid for the Appalachian Byway routes and my wife and I did all sections in PA,NJ and NY. It was almost ALL highway/ populated areas. In fact the route through NJ and NY was the same route we took when we used google maps from the PA/NJ border to Peekskill, NY. I think whoever made the Appalachian Byway is charging people for routes from google maps. To date it’s the only route I was disappointed with (and also the only one I paid for).
I have not found any of the pay to play routes to be worthwhile. So far I have not paid for any. My favorite part of this hobby is making a route and scouting it. The MABDR is another of those disappointing routes. They missed so much off pavement routes in the area.