Anza Borrego for the first time, carry extra fuel?

• HTML tutorial

SkyZero

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

El Monte, CA, USA
First Name
Freddy
Last Name
Burgos
Member #

Hey folks,

We are planning to hit up Anza Borrego for the first time with a some friends and I'm curious about the fuel capacity. Would you recommend carrying extra fuel? We have the least fuel efficient vehicle in our group (Jeep YJ/4.0). I've been looking at the area in google maps and I can see where there are gas stations, but having never been there I can't really gauge how easy it would be to fill up if needed. Planning on going there for a long weekend (fri-sun) and dispersed camping. We don't plan on doing anything crazy, just more sightseeing with some lightly moderate trails (rated 4 or lesser) thrown in. Right now, it's looking like fish creek, grapevine

Sorry for the silly question, but figured it would be safer to ask you guys and get an idea of what we are dealing with.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Hey folks,

We are planning to hit up Anza Borrego for the first time with a some friends and I'm curious about the fuel capacity. Would you recommend carrying extra fuel? We have the least fuel efficient vehicle in our group (Jeep YJ/4.0). I've been looking at the area in google maps and I can see where there are gas stations, but having never been there I can't really gauge how easy it would be to fill up if needed. Planning on going there for a long weekend (fri-sun) and dispersed camping. We don't plan on doing anything crazy, just more sightseeing with some lightly moderate trails (rated 4 or lesser) thrown in. Right now, it's looking like fish creek, grapevine

Sorry for the silly question, but figured it would be safer to ask you guys and get an idea of what we are dealing with.
My experience is that you’re never too far from gas. I usually carry an extra 5 gallons and have never come close to needing to use it. Good luck and have fun!!

SkyZero

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

El Monte, CA, USA
First Name
Freddy
Last Name
Burgos
Member #

My experience is that you’re never too far from gas. I usually carry an extra 5 gallons and have never come close to needing to use it. Good luck and have fun!!
Great, thanks for the info! I think I'll do the same as you and bring a can just in case, but not worry too much about it.

Reactions: Narbob

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hey folks,

I would never go anywhere boon docking without an extra 5 gallons of gas on board. Even with a rig that gets 10 mpg, 5 gallons of extra gas will keep you from walking at least 50 miles for help ! Measure twice, cut once is my motto for everything.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I used to carry 5 gallons with me out there. Never once used it for it's purpose. Usually when setting up camp that night I'd dump it in my tank just to move the weight in there instead of in my cargo area. Fill up at on of the many gas stations surrounding the area before you go in and you'll be good.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I wouldn't ever argue bringing a little extra gas if you've got the room. It's something we've gotten accustomed to down in Baja and I almost can't help bringing extra water and extra gas on all my trips.

A couple years ago I took a 4 day 4x4 class taught by Bill Burke. It was out in Anza Borrego. The class was awesome & we were all over the place. I have a 30 gal tank & get 10 mpg and even after quite a bit of "playing" in the soft sand, I had plenty of fuel for the 4 days. Looking back at the GAIA tracks, we were never actually that far from civilization, even though it seemed like we were.

If you have time, be sure to check out the mud tubes. It's a fairly easy drive and if you've got kids, they will have a blast.

Safe Travels...

SkyZero

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

El Monte, CA, USA
First Name
Freddy
Last Name
Burgos
Member #

Thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated!

Another quick question, from what I've read it doesn't seem that Anza Borrego closes so there shouldn't be any problem if friends showed up late (after dark), right?

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I usually fill up when I get out there. Usually in Borrego Springs or at the Blu- In. I can then Jeep all weekend without carrying extra fuel. Double up on the amount of drinking water you carry though. Jeep LJ with 4.0 and 19 gal tank (although it has never taken more than 17 gal I think)

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated!

Another quick question, from what I've read it doesn't seem that Anza Borrego closes so there shouldn't be any problem if friends showed up late (after dark), right?
Wont' be a problem. It's a state park but there's no gates or anything to go though. In fact going from the BLM land north of I10 into the Anza Borrego the only sign you've went from BLM land to state land is a small road type sign. Which end are you coming in from, North or South?

Reactions: SkyZero

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
As others have said. If it is easy for you to carry some by all means do it. Not required for that area though.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Hey folks,

I'm out there quite often.
I leave San Diego (in my 14.5 MPG 2001 4Runner) and I hit Golden Acorn to fill up. It's about $1 per gallon less than the Chevron in Ocotillo.
I only carry extra fuel if I'm planning to hit Fish Creek Wash because it's on the far side for me.. but I've never had to use it.
I usually have at least 3/4 tank when I bail home. There really aren't any super long roads out there.
I see that you are coming from the north..

Have fun!!

Make sure you check out the Wind Caves and the Mud Caves.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I'm hitting up anzo tomorrow morning.

I started a thread on my fuel can leaking, but I'm not too worried. I get about 300+ range on the road and maybe more than half that offroading. 150 miles is plenty.

I'm sticking around fish creek mostly, just to start. Got a few other places in mind, but will play everything by ear.

I believe there are gas stations within 50+ miles of any spot I've looked at and will watch my gas.