Anyone using a small microwave when car camping

• HTML tutorial

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
If so, which one. Has anyone found a small microwave that will runoff the 400 W plug in a Toyota forerunner? The way I’ve been camping lately as a pre-cook a bunch of breakfast and dinner meals that need heating up and my jet boil stove is really only good for heating up water

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I thought about it. Smallest I could find was at Best Buy which was a 700w unit. I have a 1000w sine inverter but wouldn’t comfortable use a 700w microwave unless I had at least a 1500w inverter.

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
I thought about it. Smallest I could find was at Best Buy which was a 700w unit. I have a 1000w sine inverter but wouldn’t comfortable use a 700w microwave unless I had at least a 1500w inverter.
Why. It seems like you have a 300 W comfort zone

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Why. It seems like you have a 300 W comfort zone
From what I researched on microwaves and inverters I should have double the wattage to compensate for the initial start up and to sustain power for x time.

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
From what I researched on microwaves and inverters I should have double the wattage to compensate for the initial start up and to sustain power for x time.
fair enough,,, i am not sure if the battery can handl it,,,, i sorta thought i had my 4runner running, it would help but that could be wrong,,,, it may need a bigger deep cycle battery. sigh,,, I JUST WANT SOME HOT FOOD!

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
You can use any portable stove to have hot food. You want hot food fast by the sounds of it. Ha ha.
WELL,,, 4runners are kinda small and i carry a jet boil but it kinda sucks to heat stuff on it,,,even with the little pot adaptor. it just gets to hot so if you try to heat up some pre-cooked breaky or even beans and meat for a burrito,,, it just burns it and messes up the pot. so i just thought there might be a little micro out there but the all seem to be 700w for the smallest and like the gent above said,,, probably need a way bigger inverter. so it is not that i want it fast,, i just don't want to burn it and putting in the old coleman stove,, it's kind of big and takes up a lot of room so...just trying to think outside the box

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
WELL,,, 4runners are kinda small and i carry a jet boil but it kinda sucks to heat stuff on it,,,even with the little pot adaptor. it just gets to hot so if you try to heat up some pre-cooked breaky or even beans and meat for a burrito,,, it just burns it and messes up the pot. so i just thought there might be a little micro out there but the all seem to be 700w for the smallest and like the gent above said,,, probably need a way bigger inverter. so it is not that i want it fast,, i just don't want to burn it and putting in the old coleman stove,, it's kind of big and takes up a lot of room so...just trying to think outside the box
I'm kind of confused, you don't have room for a Coleman stove, but you have room for a microwave oven?

Heck, I'm in a FJ Cruiser and I carry 2 stoves. A Coleman 2 burner and a MSR Whisperlite Universal for sub freezing temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBroenkow and Downs

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
I'm kind of confused, you don't have room for a Coleman stove, but you have room for a microwave oven?

Heck, I'm in a FJ Cruiser and I carry 2 stoves.
i would suffer the indignity of a microwave in order to heat stuff up easilly,,,a coleman used to heat stuff up is a pita for me,,,,,i have the 2 burner. it would appear a microwave is unrealistic at this point so perhaps i will break out the coleman and try it. i will say,,, i am not really out there for the sake of overlanding or car camping,,, it just do it for another activity which takes up most of my time,,, camping is just a forced necessity more or less,,,,,which is fine

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
Not an electrician, but read the interwebs. 1000 watt microwave is output power, input will be a more.
I see some full time rvers use instapots that can run off battery, and can warm stuff. Not as fast and clean as a microwave. I have an instapot but I don't use it - its an 8 qt and I am one guy.

Reactions: MBroenkow

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Kind of sound like my friend who doesnt like to cook, why not just get the microwave you want and then just warm food up every time your out instead of cooking

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
If you want to use a very small microwave, then you would probably require 2000w inverter to run more than 30 seconds. Inverters are rated at peak output, that’s not constant run. As mentioned previous find the wattage for the appliance you intended to use and double the wattage for the intended inverter. Most 120v microwaves run in excess of 10a, I would say an average of 12a.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I remember before we had electricity at our cabin. We used a generator, and a small microwave. Our 3000w would drag down quite a bit with the microwave. Our 1400w would overload and shut off. Have you looked at one of those butane stoves. Small and work great. I have 2.

Reactions: MBroenkow

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
If you want to use a very small microwave, then you would probably require 2000w inverter to run more than 30 seconds. Inverters are rated at peak output, that’s not constant run. As mentioned previous find the wattage for the appliance you intended to use and double the wattage for the intended inverter. Most 120v microwaves run in excess of 10a, I would say an average of 12a.
thanks,,, good to know

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
I remember before we had electricity at our cabin. We used a generator, and a small microwave. Our 3000w would drag down quite a bit with the microwave. Our 1400w would overload and shut off. Have you looked at one of those butane stoves. Small and work great. I have 2.
i will check it out,,,,what brand?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
In a different direction, I used to wrap precooked stuff in foil and leave it on the engine block while driving. Even cooked some chicken if I started first thing in the morning. May not be feasible for breakfast. Depending on what you are doing it is possible to vacuum seal and boil it to reheat.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

You might consider getting a 12v cooler/warmer. I have a Wagan that I replaced my center console with. The cooling part doesn't get as cool as id like but the warmer part gets to 160 degrees and works good for warming up food as you drive.

Reactions: FishinCrzy