Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for the advice guys. I figured it would be a tall order to have an all in one and still be happy. Might make better sense to go with a handheld UHF/VHF for local comms and then find a more dedicated mobile HF rig down the road when camping.
I’m not knocking HTs they have their uses, but I hate listening to them in the repeaters. Using a HT for trails coms on simplex very doable...

I’m running into a problem of not enough radios. I use my 7100 for everything right now. HF, UHF/VHF, Phone, Digital, and CW. Recently I was elected the Director for Oregon for a club running on the Oregon/Washington borders. Now my HT is being used as my local monitor for listening, while my IC7100 is pulling duties digitally and CW. What I’m finding out is I can’t relay over to the club information as it’s being put out. So I’m looking to get another Dual Band VHF/UHF radio. I’m leaning towards an Icom ID-5100A Deluxe.

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
The Icom IC-7100 with a MARS MOD can do what you’re asking. It’s a great little radio. Watch for it to come on sale through HRO and spend the extra 35 for the MARs MOD.
Looks like they have a $100 manufacturer rebate through 9/30 on top of the sale price on HRO

Reactions: M Rose

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
The Icom IC-7100 with a MARS MOD can do what you’re asking. It’s a great little radio. Watch for it to come on sale through HRO and spend the extra 35 for the MARs MOD.
Doing some research on this MARS MOD that you're referring too. I've never heard of it before. What would be the main benefit? It sounds like it would allow me access to the MARS and CAP radio frequencies. Is this just to be able to "listen in" on those frequencies, or use to hail in an emergency situation? Again, I'm still very green to this game. Thanks!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Doing some research on this MARS MOD that you're referring too. I've never heard of it before. What would be the main benefit? It sounds like it would allow me access to the MARS and CAP radio frequencies. Is this just to be able to "listen in" on those frequencies, or use to hail in an emergency situation? Again, I'm still very green to this game. Thanks!
Biggest advantage of the MARs/CAP mod as it pertains to you the ability to use gmrs and MURS frequencies. And yes you can use the frequencies in an emergency.

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Biggest advantage of the MARs/CAP mod as it pertains to you the ability to use gmrs and MURS frequencies. And yes you can use the frequencies in an emergency.
And again, forgive my ignorance, but looking at the GMRS frequency chart which uses VHF frequencies in the 462-467 MHz range and MURS in the 151-154 Mhz. Does the stock Icom not transmit/receive those frequencies? Or is it a matter of it doesn't transmit at the proper wattage? Again, thanks for bearing with me!
AJ

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

And again, forgive my ignorance, but looking at the GMRS frequency chart which uses VHF frequencies in the 462-467 MHz range and MURS in the 151-154 Mhz. Does the stock Icom not transmit/receive those frequencies? Or is it a matter of it doesn't transmit at the proper wattage? Again, thanks for bearing with me!
AJ
It's a ham radio and those are not ham frequencies so they are blocked for transmitting, though they should be able to receive them. It's common for ham radios to have a wide receive.
Ham radios are not approved by the FCC to be used for any other radio service.

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Ah ha! Now I get it. Would the MARS/CAPS mod also open up FRS, Marine VHF, CB as well as GMRS frequencies? I assume I would still have to program those frequencies into the radio if the mod was completed by someone like Gigaparts. Thanks again from the great info!
AJ

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Ah ha! Now I get it. Would the MARS/CAPS mod also open up FRS, Marine VHF, CB as well as GMRS frequencies? I assume I would still have to program those frequencies into the radio if the mod was completed by someone like Gigaparts. Thanks again from the great info!
AJ
Yes it would open up all of those but you would probably want to program those frequencies with channel names so it's easier to know what you are on.

Reactions: AJ Nealey

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Yes it would open up all of those but you would probably want to program those frequencies with channel names so it's easier to know what you are on.
Awesome, well that Icom sounds like the one for me, thanks again you all for the info.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Awesome, well that Icom sounds like the one for me, thanks again you all for the info.
If you get the accessory GPS dongle the IC-7100 can do APRS as well. The IC-7100 is a very good radio it does almost everything, it just doesn’t do everything well.

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
If you get the accessory GPS dongle the IC-7100 can do APRS as well. The IC-7100 is a very good radio it does almost everything, it just doesn’t do everything well.
Yup, and I think it's a great starter radio for me that can get me on HF/UHF/VHF bands.

I guess next question would be an antennae for this mobile application. The other item I had on my wishlist last year was the Yaesu ATAS-120A with the Comet CF-706 Duplexer. Any opinions on that paired with this radio?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yup, and I think it's a great starter radio for me that can get me on HF/UHF/VHF bands.

I guess next question would be an antennae for this mobile application. The other item I had on my wishlist last year was the Yaesu ATAS-120A with the Comet CF-706 Duplexer. Any opinions on that paired with this radio?
The IC-7100 has two PL-259 connectors for coax, ANT1 is for HF and ANT2 is for UHF/VHF capabilities. So for UHF/VHF a simple diamond UHF/VHF mobile antenna would suffice. For the Hf bands I am using Shark Ham Sticks for 160m-6m. Now this comes with a compromise, it’s one antenna per band, so you have to change antennas to change bands The upside is no need for an external antenna tuner as each stick is tuned to 1.2:1 SWR. The other option is the IC-AH2B antenna You are being redirected...

And the IC-Ah4 antenna tuner

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

HamCuredSmoke does an excellent coverage of the IC-7100 features and functions... of your seriously considering this rig I suggest to watch his series.

K6ORJ

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Sanger, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Carpenter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ORJ
I run the IC-7100 in my rig, and IMO It is the best mobile HF radio on the market.

IC-7100
ALS-500
DX Engineering MM1 UN-UN (For 60~160m)
HI-Q Parana (160m version)
2/0 wire from the battery to the radios.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I run the IC-7100 in my rig, and IMO It is the best mobile HF radio on the market.

IC-7100
ALS-500
I love my Icom IC-7100. Do you have the GPS puck for yours? I’m thinking about getting it for mine.

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX

IC-7100
ALS-500
Can you share any photos of your setup?

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
For the Hf bands I am using Shark Ham Sticks for 160m-6m.
How have these been working for you overall? I'm thinking of picking up a few (or the 10-75 set if I can still find it for sale) to mount with a K400 on a square drop we're looking to buy to use as a base camp setup with my TS-480 that is my QTH base station. Also maybe on the 4R too from time to time if we don't take the trailer with us. Just curious if you've had any issues or found any drawbacks with them other than having to change the stick to change the band. I'm all about KISS, so getting off my butt for a minute or two for an antenna swap is no big deal.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
75/80m is very narrow banded... I change frequencies by 200 hertz and I have to physically retune, 40 is a little better, 20-6m is pretty decent and can tune the whole bands with the AOD of an external tuner. So on my rig, driving down the road, not to bad of a deal... base camp if I’m not band hopping or scanning they are ok at best...

For camp I would look into a ended random wire antenna. I have real good luck with mine... takes only 5 minutes to set up and take down, packs vet small, and I have made contacts into Europe on 20-6m 160-40 I haven’t really messed with other than the local 80m ARES net.

Reactions: ru108

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
For longer trips when I want more than 10m, I use a Hustler vertical with interchangeable resonators. I’ve got 10-80, but often hang on 17.

i Mount this on my trailer hitch.

Reactions: ru108