Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
SInce I have an AnyTone AT-5555N (10 meter all mode radio) installed in the Jeep, I was curious if anyone else uses HF for overland comms? I find that it works pretty good however not no many of us use those frequencies. I also have the Yaesu FTM-400 in there for VHF/UHF.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I'm going to swap my Yaesu FT-857D for the FT 2900 in my Willys when I have it up and running.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Probably not to many people will run a 10m rig for Overlanding since the majority of the band requires a General Class license, but true that be told, any band would work for coms... we just prefer 2m/70cm bands because a tech can use them, and they generally have repeaters on those bands.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
Probably not to many people will run a 10m rig for Overlanding since the majority of the band requires a General Class license, but true that be told, any band would work for coms... we just prefer 2m/70cm bands because a tech can use them, and they generally have repeaters on those bands.
I agree, 2m and 70cm is way more common however I was just curious. HF is nice to have in the jeep because when it opens its pretty fun to make those far away contacts.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I do on longer trips. I use either a radio shack htx-10 (10m only), or sometimes a Kenwood TS50 10-80 rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trad77

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
I do on longer trips. I use either a radio shack thx-10 (10m only), or sometimes a Kenwood TS50 10-80 rig.
Nice! One day I might get a Yaesu FT891 and a screwdriver antenna but for now I am really digging just 10 meters. Been getting quite of few contacts as of late.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We run a 450 at base camp when extended dispersed camping in the Smoky and Rocky Mts. Keys and Everglades. Also a Kenwood 2M in the cab.592DD929-21BF-4245-B8B8-777069C93233.jpeg

Last edited:

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
I run a Kenwood ts-480 mobile and have talked all over the world, not sure it would be useful in overlanding in a convoy scenario. Over longer distances sure but may require a NVIS antenna.
We run a 450 at base camp when extended dispersed camping in the Smoky and Rocky Mts. Keys and Everglades.View attachment 164254
The Yaesu FT450D was my first HF radio. I bought one brand new for $900 at Denver HRO in early 2013. I have since upgraded however the 450 has been one of my favorite HF rigs I have owned. I keep a tote in the Jeep that has a Yaesu FT818 and a Super Antenna MP1 for portable operations. I love to activate Parks On The Air. Overlanding and portable ops goes very well together.

K6ORJ

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Sanger, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Carpenter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ORJ
I operate moble on 160m - 15m, 6m, 2m, and 70cm. Yes all of these bands @ 70 mph

I don't think 10m is really a band band and Techs have a huge area on the band, but here are better alternatives. VHF and UHF offer smaller antennas, portability, and repeater use.

K6ORJ / Mark

Reactions: Flipper

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I ran a TS480SAT into a Model 75 Tarhell in my old Ford Escape. Loved the ability to hop on HF when no one was around on 2m. I will put HF (17,40 and 60 mostly) back into the new 4runner eventually. I do recommend spending time at K0BG.com and getting ideas about a good mobile HF install. I would also recommend getting a General Class (in the US) or equivalent license elsewhere to really apprecaite mobile HF. There are some daytime nets in the US on 40m for the mobile crowd. Look up ECARS and SouthCARS as I know they had web pages. Not sure if MidCARS had a page nor am I sure if there were mobile nets out west (all the aforementioned are east of the Mississippi River.)

Reactions: Trad77

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I operate moble on 160m - 15m, 6m, 2m, and 70cm. Yes all of these bands @ 70 mph

I don't think 10m is really a band band and Techs have a huge area on the band, but here are better alternatives. VHF and UHF offer smaller antennas, portability, and repeater use.

K6ORJ / Mark
Agreed. 10m has its uses and don't forget, there is 10m FM up high. There is quite a bit of activity when the band is open. When closed, it might just turn out to be the best for the environment you are in. Forrest Service uses 36-40MHz for their operations if I recall.

Last edited:

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
Agreed. 10m has its uses and don't forget, there is 10m FM up high. There is quite a bit of activity when the band is open. When closed, it might just turn out to be the best for the environment you are in. Forrest Service uses 36-40MHz for their operations if I recall.
dont throw out 6M in any mode it works really well
ground wave for fm etc is amazing, I worked 30 miles on 1watt once

Reactions: Frdmskr

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Hey Folks, relatively new here. Also relatively new to the ham scene. I got my general license last year and still don't even own a radio yet. I'm looking for a decent mobile rig that will get me on the HF band. Last year, I had picked out the Yaesu FT-857D but now it seems like they are nowhere to be found. Are there any recommendations from you guys for a first radio? It would mostly be used in my 4Runner. I'd like to use on GMRS frequencies when out on the trail with others but also have the flexibility to try and make contacts on HF when at camp.

I appreciate any suggestions and thanks for your time,
AJ

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hey Folks, relatively new here. Also relatively new to the ham scene. I got my general license last year and still don't even own a radio yet. I'm looking for a decent mobile rig that will get me on the HF band. Last year, I had picked out the Yaesu FT-857D but now it seems like they are nowhere to be found. Are there any recommendations from you guys for a first radio? It would mostly be used in my 4Runner. I'd like to use on GMRS frequencies when out on the trail with others but also have the flexibility to try and make contacts on HF when at camp.

AJ
HF and GMRS are two very different animals, so two radios. You might look for a good used HF rig. I found a kenwood ts50 for $300 at a hamfest last year.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

AJ
It looks like the only HF/VHF/UHF mobile ham radio offered new would be the ICOM IC-7100 or for HF+6m would be the Yaesu FT-891.
Though it is possible to mod the 7100 to use on GMRS, it is illegal and discussion of illegal activities is frowned upon on OB. So let your conscience guide you.
For what it's worth, with an all band (HF/VHF/UHF) radio you are limited to one frequency, I prefer to monitor multiple frequencies but my use case is likely different than yours and mounting space can play a part as well.
If you might be interested in APRS you could look at getting a Kenwood D710G or V71a, or Yaesu FTM-400 and then you could open your search to any mobile HF radio that may not include VHF/UHF.

Reactions: M Rose

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Thanks for the advice guys. I figured it would be a tall order to have an all in one and still be happy. Might make better sense to go with a handheld UHF/VHF for local comms and then find a more dedicated mobile HF rig down the road when camping.

Reactions: Sparksalot

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

AJ
The Icom IC-7100 with a MARS MOD can do what you’re asking. It’s a great little radio. Watch for it to come on sale through HRO and spend the extra 35 for the MARs MOD.

Reactions: AJ Nealey