Anyone use a ShiftPod?

• HTML tutorial

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

Hey All - has anyone used a Shiftpod? Any thoughts. I recently picked up a Gazelle T4 - but have yet to open the box. The Shiftpod is more expensive, but not massively. I’m interested as it seems like it could be a good emergency shelter with the extra insulation. I guess the Gazelle could also... Interested to see what others think...

B^2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I have friends that have used it at burning man. If it's not covered under a shade structure, its really not going to be that much cooler than a standard backpacking tent.

Gotoverit

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ceres ca.
Member #

Hey All - has anyone used a Shiftpod? Any thoughts. I recently picked up a Gazelle T4 - but have yet to open the box. The Shiftpod is more expensive, but not massively. I’m interested as it seems like it could be a good emergency shelter with the extra insulation. I guess the Gazelle could also... Interested to see what others think...
I have one and I love it. We used it in 40deg weather put a small heater in an it kept it at 70deg all night didn't need blankets lol. My grandkids love it use it at the lake with a portable ac nice place to get cooled off. Screenshot_20181009-170210_Facebook.jpeg20180929_121103.jpeg

Reactions: BCJohn

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Looks to be almost three times the price and smaller than a T4. I saw them at Expo east last fall. Looks almost identical to a Gazelle in construction but with a different fabric.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Looks to be almost three times the price and smaller than a T4. I saw them at Expo east last fall. Looks almost identical to a Gazelle in construction but with a different fabric.
The fabric is a big part of what makes it different. The fame is very similar. Her is a video showing how it holds up. I’d be interested to see how the Gazelle or Oz tents do in similar testing.

I really like the gazelles and the oz tents but I love my shiftpod.

Reactions: BCJohn

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

The fabric is a big part of what makes it different. The fame is very similar. Her is a video showing how it holds up. I’d be interested to see how the Gazelle or Oz tents do in similar testing.

I really like the gazelles and the oz tents but I love my shiftpod.

Ok nice product demo. For me if the wind gets anywhere near 75mph or more I' m out of my tent and into my vehicle. That's hurricane winds and I have no business being in a tent at that point personally. These tents are too bulky and weigh too much for me to be very far from my vehicle in what I typically due so it would be a very rare occasion that my vehicle would be very far away.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Reactions: Dairyland Overland

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

OK - so one year in. The shiftpod is amazing for a base camp, but hard to overland with. Mainly due to the size (I have the 8 person one) and weight. I camped all over Utah and California with it last year and this. For basecamp, it's awesome. It withstood high winds and rain. Is warm in the winter (with a buddy heater). But - I also just picked up a Gazelle for overloading and times where space is an issue. The shiftpod doubles as an emergency shelter for me, so I still think it was a good deal.

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I have a Shiftpod Mini that I purchased this spring and I love it! I have camped in the snow with it (-15C) and it held the heat very well. I have camped in the blazing sun with it and it was noticeably cooler. I love how easy it is to set up. Trading my RTT for it was a very good move for me.Spring 2020.jpeg

Reactions: PA Chuck D

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

OK - a year and a half in. Sold the shiftpod. Got a lot of my money back. It's an amazing tent for a base camp, but not doable for Overlanding, IMO. Mainly because of the size and weight. In hindsight I wish I bought a mini - it would have done better. I now have a gazelle and a truck bed tent (Kodiak) for when I'm alone.