Anyone on here, order or receive a Go Fast Camper?

• HTML tutorial

simplyanadventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

CNY
First Name
Simply
Last Name
AnAdventure
Member #

I am having a hard time finding real world reviews on the GFC products. I am more interested in the tent portion as I have a 5th gen 4runner.
The mounting kit they have is genius but I need to know how the rest of the tent is?
How is the fabric and how does it stand up to weather? Wind? Rain? Snow?
Does the fabric seem to be durable?
How is the slim 2" mattress? Comfy or not?
Can your sleeping gear be stowed in the tent packed down?
Can you have a mattress topper with your sleeping gear with it packed down?
What is this tent like to live with on a daily basis?

Thanks a head of time to all replies and insights.
Ok, let’s see if I can answer some or all of your questions. First off the tent portion (I have the complete GFC) is absolutely bombproof and incredibly well made. It’s by far the highest quality piece of gear I’ve ever seen for this purpose.

Secondly the mattress is incredibly comfortable. The first night my wife and I slept in it we slept an honest 10 hours... as far as tents go it’s top notch.

Now for the bad news... in my opinion there is NO WAY that you’re going to store bedding or a Mattress pad in there, the downside to being the absolute lowest profile tent made is there is no extra room. If that’s your goal I’d get a hard shell RTT like a Baroud or similar just understand that it’s going to be 6-12” higher off your roof.

To me the GFC is the ideal product but personally I think that’s because of the livable area below it (truck bed) I can stand up, make coffee, get dressed, work on my laptop, really whatever I want with the floor removed. I think you loose a bit of the design when you don’t put it on a truck. The other side of that is you have a light weight and low profile tent...

Totally up to you but don’t count on storing your bedding up there... no way.

Reactions: Wallygator

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Yota, thanks for your reply. I'm surprised they didn't design it to atleast allow a sleeping bag to be stored there. So that means all bedding will have to unloaded/loaded from the 4 each time. Definitely not a deal breaker as it will still be quick but not as convenient as the others and takes up room for other things in the 4. Geez there just is no perfect solution with these roof top tents. But the low profile, seemingly high quality, and the way the GFC mounts is very nice.

A different roof top tent will require a roof rack so the price is a wash either way. I guess I will just wait some more and keep saving and thinking cuz this decision is difficult. Thanks again!

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
So I do now see after looking closer that the camper has a 3" mattress and the roof top tent has a 2" mattress. Maybe there is room for a nice down comforter?

simplyanadventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

CNY
First Name
Simply
Last Name
AnAdventure
Member #

So I do now see after looking closer that the camper has a 3" mattress and the roof top tent has a 2" mattress. Maybe there is room for a nice down comforter?
Interesting. Maybe because the bottom panels in mine are removable? Therefore they have a composite panel taking up space? I believe there are only 10 tents that’s got “pre sold” so not many people to ask. I have a direct line to the owners, and they frequent a different forum. I’ll ask over there and see what they say and let you know.

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
I ordered a Go Fast Camper a couple of days ago. Order # in the 1300's and an estimated build date of Nov. 2019. I like the simplicity of the design, that I can still use the truck as a truck (with lockable storage) and I'm expecting it to be a huge upgrade over my current ground tent/hammock setup.

I'm not in a huge rush, so the year-long wait list isn't an issue. I'm actually kind of excited to see what accessories/options they come up with in the mean time.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

I have GFC#2. Actually that is no longer true. I had the first GFC on the east coast and it was shipped to me in May. It got damaged in freight but fortunately not enough to prevent me from using it. At first, GFC said they would replace the damaged parts on an east coast delivery. Then they decided there had been enough upgrades and improvements that the best solution was to replace the entire camper! So, at Expo East I met with Ross and we swapped GFC#2 for a totally new one. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper. No longer sure what number I have :).

@Wallygator, several users have solved the bedding storage issue by hanging a cargo net under the fixed panel at the front of the interior. This is space that is unused otherwise. It is easy and fast to pull your bedding down and stuff it into the net and the same when going back in.

Here's a shot showing mine stuffed with 2 sleeping bags, fleece blanket, 2 inflatable pillows, etc.net.jpg

Wandering Yeti

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Kieliszewski
Member #

I am really interested in the GFC. Does anyone have real world experience with how the side seals hold up to water and dust off road? Also, how does it work to close the back while you are in it? Does it latch, and if so is it easy to open? How is the heat retention in cold environments? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

simplyanadventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

CNY
First Name
Simply
Last Name
AnAdventure
Member #

I am really interested in the GFC. Does anyone have real world experience with how the side seals hold up to water and dust off road? Also, how does it work to close the back while you are in it? Does it latch, and if so is it easy to open? How is the heat retention in cold environments? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hey Yeti,

There doesn’t seem to be too many GFC owners here on OB. That said there are a few of us.

I’ve had mine now since early Sept, and I’m truth i have been 100% satisfied with it. The fully operable sides are one of my favorite things about it. There is a ton of discussion about water intrusion on a few campers. I guess I can’t say mine is 100% dry, but it’s 99.999% dry which is way more than satisfactory to me.

The tent has been 100% waterproof. In torrential rain while driving I have seen a few droplets of water enter (this seems to be corrected now but it doesn’t bother me at all). Truth be told the tailgate and truck bed let in more water than the GFC ever could.

Again this is only droplets and only into the truck bed portion. I have DECKED drawers in mine which are 100% waterproof so IF any water got in it’d never touch my gear anyway. This is a hot topic on some of the VS. threads on Tacoma World as the Drifter claims no leaks ever...

Bottom line it’s a tent/ truck cap. I’ve NEVER seen a truck cap that keeps a bed 100% dry but the few droplets are certainly not an issue.

As far as cold weather. I had mine at ExpoEast and it was 20 degrees one night. I left one floor panel removed and ran a buddy heater, my wife and I were super comfortable, and she’s always cold. There are guys insulating and using them in winter. Personally mine is a 3 season rig and stays in the garage all winter.

I can close and latch mine from inside no problem, i just reach down in the AM and pop the latch. Other guys use a flat blade screw driver to pop it from inside.

If you have the time there are almost 8000 posts on Tacoma World https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/hondo-garages-new-thing.516490/

That’s really a thread worth visiting.

Feel free to ask anything else you may need.

Attachments

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

I'm curious if anyone on here has received a Go Fast Camper, https://www.gofastcampers.com/ , yet? I "Pre-Ordered" one back in March and it's finished as of last week, I'm just waiting on it to be delivered out here to me from Montana. I am very active on Tacoma World and there's a HUGE fallowing/ thread for them on there but being as it's really a RTT/ Camper Shell designed around Overlanding I'm wondering if any members on here have one? I was really hoping to have mine installed by Mid-Atlantic Overland fest so I could show it off if anyone was interested but it looks like i'll be sleeping on the ground one more time.

Anyway I'd love to here any feedback from the Overland Bound community and I'll definitely be at ExpoEast with mine installed if anyone wants to check it out. I'll attach a picture (not my truck) so you get an idea of what I'm talking about if you haven't seen one yet.

-YOTA

View attachment 64116
View attachment 64119
View attachment 64117 View attachment 64118

photos courtesy of @_jim_bob
I have been to their facility twice , both times spending some quality time. 2 of my friends have ordered them. Here is all I can say about them, they are unbelievable well made. The guys that work there are super nice and talented. Some of the better metal work I have seen in awhile. They reallly thought through every detail. The only reason I have not committed to one is , I use the bed of my truck to much.

simplyanadventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

CNY
First Name
Simply
Last Name
AnAdventure
Member #

I have been to their facility twice , both times spending some quality time. 2 of my friends have ordered them. Here is all I can say about them, they are unbelievable well made. The guys that work there are super nice and talented. Some of the better metal work I have seen in awhile. They reallly thought through every detail. The only reason I have not committed to one is , I use the bed of my truck to much.
Thanks for the Reply, I started out this thread when GFC was just a concept. I pre-ordered mine 11 months ago now. I’ve had it since Sept. and yes. It’s freaking awesome! I’ll admit though it’s on my Tacoma which I only use for camping so losing the bed is no biggie. I have really enjoyed mine though the wait was looooooong, it was so worth it. Couldn’t be happier.

Reactions: jolagues

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
I ordered one (pickup next November) because I won't be losing my bed. I'll have the same space as a regular topper would offer, but way more function.

Plus now I have an excuse to drive to Montana, although November doesn't seem like the ideal time to go.

Wandering Yeti

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Kieliszewski
Member #

Hey Yeti,

There doesn’t seem to be too many GFC owners here on OB. That said there are a few of us.

I’ve had mine now since early Sept, and I’m truth i have been 100% satisfied with it. The fully operable sides are one of my favorite things about it. There is a ton of discussion about water intrusion on a few campers. I guess I can’t say mine is 100% dry, but it’s 99.999% dry which is way more than satisfactory to me.

The tent has been 100% waterproof. In torrential rain while driving I have seen a few droplets of water enter (this seems to be corrected now but it doesn’t bother me at all). Truth be told the tailgate and truck bed let in more water than the GFC ever could.

Again this is only droplets and only into the truck bed portion. I have DECKED drawers in mine which are 100% waterproof so IF any water got in it’d never touch my gear anyway. This is a hot topic on some of the VS. threads on Tacoma World as the Drifter claims no leaks ever...

Bottom line it’s a tent/ truck cap. I’ve NEVER seen a truck cap that keeps a bed 100% dry but the few droplets are certainly not an issue.

As far as cold weather. I had mine at ExpoEast and it was 20 degrees one night. I left one floor panel removed and ran a buddy heater, my wife and I were super comfortable, and she’s always cold. There are guys insulating and using them in winter. Personally mine is a 3 season rig and stays in the garage all winter.

I can close and latch mine from inside no problem, i just reach down in the AM and pop the latch. Other guys use a flat blade screw driver to pop it from inside.

If you have the time there are almost 8000 posts on Tacoma World https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/hondo-garages-new-thing.516490/

That’s really a thread worth visiting.

Feel free to ask anything else you may need.
Thanks for the great write up. The opening sides are also something that interests me about the GFC. It sounds like any water intrusion is negligible. How much acrobatics does it take to get in with the raised DECKED system (also something I was thinking about adding)?

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I am about to pull the trigger on my deposit. NOV 2020 build date:flushed: I have a few questions my last few trips have been out west AZ NM CO UT the whole beg end to end was dust 1/4 inch 1. so how does well does this topper keep out the dust. don't really care about the dust in the bed just don't want it blowing up into the tent area. 2. which brings me to the floor panels, do they install in the down position when you close it up can't tell in any of the pic or videos Thanks

Reactions: jolagues

jolagues

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Carmichael, California, United States
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Olagues
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QXA
I am debating between the GFC the Vagabound drifter and the AluCab canopy camper. there are pros and cons to all of them. but I am hoping to put a deposit down on something in the next month or so

Billincamo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
WILLIAM
Last Name
PELLEGRINO
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Billincamo
I have one question for anyone with a GFC. How are you shutiing the tailgate and shell door once your inside? Are you hooking up straps to pull them shut?

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
I have one question for anyone with a GFC. How are you shutiing the tailgate and shell door once your inside? Are you hooking up straps to pull them shut?
That’s what I’ve done. My RAM 1500 has a removable panel in the tailgate. I cut sections out of an old nylon dog leash and used the two bolts on each bed of the panel to secure it.

Stays flat enough to not get in the way and makes it easier to pull up the tailgate.

Also installed a DeeZee tailgate dampener so it doesn’t crash down when I open it.

Last edited:

Billincamo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
WILLIAM
Last Name
PELLEGRINO
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Billincamo
That’s what I’ve done. My RAM 1509 has a removable panel in the tailgate. I cut sections out of an old nylon dog leash and used the two bolts on each bed of the panel to secure it.

Stays flat enough to not get in the way and makes it easier to pull up the tailgate.

Also installed a DeeZee tailgate dampener so it doesn’t crash down when I open it.
Thanks!