Anyone itching to get off the road? Planning a trek, 6/10 - 6/13. SD to Northern AZ, then 150 mile off-highway course plotted.

• HTML tutorial

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

Are you a HAM? We could potentially hook up along the trail somewhere.

I have tons of maps for Baja if you’re interested. It’s getting really hot now so advise the weather if heading down.
Do. It know if that was for me but. No radio yet have been looking an ready to pull the trigger an get something was looking at rugged radio hand held with the kit to mount an plug into lighter an also the release of the new Garmin

Xploremore

Rank IV

Steward I

Williams, Coconino County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Morris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9IHQ
Are you a HAM? We could potentially hook up along the trail somewhere.

I have tons of maps for Baja if you’re interested. It’s getting really hot now so advise the weather if heading down.
Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in your Baja maps/insight! I have a HAM, but I'm not yet a licensed operator.

Reactions: SashaLee

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

Do. It know if that was for me but. No radio yet have been looking an ready to pull the trigger an get something was looking at rugged radio hand held with the kit to mount an plug into lighter an also the release of the new Garmin
I will what for a group or persons so I will hope to find more people after I take my Jeep out for the first time in September but I will keep you in mind thanks you for responses

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
@Paul Morris
I just saw this. It was a bit too short of notice for me. I'm always down for a 2-4 day trip. Hard for me to do more than 3 days without some advance notice. Your not far from me, we should hook up some time.

Xploremore

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Morris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9IHQ
@Paul Morris
I just saw this. It was a bit too short of notice for me. I'm always down for a 2-4 day trip. Hard for me to do more than 3 days without some advance notice. Your not far from me, we should hook up some time.
I had a couple things come up, so I've pushed it back a couple weeks. Now planning to depart on the 24th. But yeah, I've been down in Carlsbad area for the last few months now. Always looking for some company on the trail!

SashaLee

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA 90815, USA
First Name
Sasha
Last Name
Kanno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BZX
Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in your Baja maps/insight! I have a HAM, but I'm not yet a licensed operator.
Sure. If your on instagram my friends @dirtdays are doing Baja runs. Might go back on July 4th wknd but not sure yet.

You should get your Tech license. I studied with Wave Talkers and it was so helpful.

SashaLee

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sasha
Last Name
Kanno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BZX
@Paul Morris
We are headed up to Mammoth the wknd of the 13th for a quick run.

Are you on OC Overland? Seems pretty active with ppl doing day and weekend runs.

Xploremore

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Morris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9IHQ
Sure. If your on instagram my friends @dirtdays are doing Baja runs. Might go back on July 4th wknd but not sure yet.

You should get your Tech license. I studied with Wave Talkers and it was so helpful.
I'm registered for a tech license class for next month, it's something I've always wanted to learn. I'll def check out your friends, thanks for the recommendation!

gvb40

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Anselmo Ca
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Vonbuchau
A trip to Baja is on my bucket list for sure but I need to decide to finish out the Nissan Xterra Pro-4X build with a tent and kitchen first. I am also considering changing over to a small van with 4x4 and a high or pop up top so I can haul the grandkids out on some local adventures.

Attachments

Reactions: Gecko792

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

Thanks for the invite.
They changed my shift at work this week. That killed any quick trips for a few weeks.
well if it gets pushed back till middle to end of September count me in. sorry about shift an trip cancel.

SashaLee

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sasha
Last Name
Kanno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BZX
I'm registered for a tech license class for next month, it's something I've always wanted to learn. I'll def check out your friends, thanks for the recommendation!
Awesome! I had great success studying using Wave Talkers. Good luck with your test. I had to take it twice to pass, was hard for me to learn.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
well if it gets pushed back till middle to end of September count me in. sorry about shift an trip cancel.
If you get just a few days of free time, you might want to check out Arkansas. Hot Springs area is a little over 600 miles from you, but a lot closer than southwest areas. We just went last week and really enjoyed it. Did some kayaking and paddle boarding along with some great camping along rivers and lakes. That state is full of rivers and lakes and the northern part was even better AND a lot less people with some fairly secluded areas right on the water. That would be even closer for you. We bought our camp trailer in Columbus OH a few months back and then went to Gatlinberg and north Georgia. That wasn't too far a drive from Columbus and north Georgia was pretty impressive.

Reactions: Gecko792

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

If you get just a few days of free time, you might want to check out Arkansas. Hot Springs area is a little over 600 miles from you, but a lot closer than southwest areas. We just went last week and really enjoyed it. Did some kayaking and paddle boarding along with some great camping along rivers and lakes. That state is full of rivers and lakes and the northern part was even better AND a lot less people with some fairly secluded areas right on the water. That would be even closer for you. We bought our camp trailer in Columbus OH a few months back and then went to Gatlinberg and north Georgia. That wasn't too far a drive from Columbus and north Georgia was pretty impressive.
Thanks yes I live just east of Columbus, if you know of a place in Arkansas let me know I will make the time an stop there on the way there or on the way back, I do appreciate any places people already know is good.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Thanks yes I live just east of Columbus, if you know of a place in Arkansas let me know I will make the time an stop there on the way there or on the way back, I do appreciate any places people already know is good.
This is the Mulberry River just south of Fayetteville and it is very scenic and has great kayaking with camping right on the river...the spots were $15 a night and had a bath house/restrooms and few people. I heard from a park ranger that its even better up around Fayetteville with waterfalls and nice hiking trails. Its pretty much on the way if you are going southwest. Prob about 12 hrs from you, so it could be a good place to spend the night and explore a day...help break up the trip.

P1000164.JPG

Reactions: smritte

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

Happy 4th too all be safe and enjoy your and our freedoms outdoors and in our wonderful GREAT COUNTRY