Anyone itching to get off the road? Planning a trek, 6/10 - 6/13. SD to Northern AZ, then 150 mile off-highway course plotted.

• HTML tutorial

Xploremore

Rank IV

Steward I

Williams, Coconino County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Morris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9IHQ
HI all,

In pixel form exists the large online world of overlanding and off-road exploration and adventure. In reality though, I hardly anyone who even knows what that means, much less has the interest, resource or will to join.

So I figured I'd reach out to that online world by means of posting my plan on this forum in the case that any like minded people catch it and find interest in joining me.

The thrill of adventure and exploration by means of journeying through unseen places and camping under the night sky beckons me often, if not always.
This time, the satiation comes by a Northen Arizona trail traversing off-road trek that I've recently read about. I spent a couple hours yesterday studying charts, maps and journels and ended up plotting a course that's just over 150 miles long from dirt-begin to dirt-end. It primarily runs North through the Prescott and Kalibab National Forests, and ultimately ends at the south rim of the Grand Canyon. My course runs over much wooded lands and grasslands, climbing from 3500' to over 7500' and then back down again. The trail passes 3 small towns along the way to restock/refuel etc as needed.

I'm planning on spending 3 nights on the trail overall, so a total of 4 days should return me back home again. I'm loosely planing to leave early Monday morning 6/10 from San Diego, travel the 450 miles (6.5 hrs roughly) to the start of my trail and head right into the wild. I figure make 15-30 miles off-road and then find suitable camping spot for the night. Day 2 (Tues) wake early and put 60 or so miles behind us while making time to visit Jerome ghost town, stop at abandoned mines along the way, grab a bite at a town and resupply if need be, and then hit the hills for another camp location. Day 3 (Wed) will be the last 40-60 miles and one more night of camping. I'm hoping to find a suitiable water source along the way to do some fishing in, but we'll see. The Day 4 (Thurs 6/13) is an early morning Grand Canyon stop n view, and then back west to southern Cali. Attached is a screenshot from my phone of the course I plotted with the way points removed for clarity. It's the yellow line that the blue arrows are pointing to. Gives you an idea of the general area.

I know it's short notice, but if there's someone else out there who wants to get out and off the road and is ready to do so, this will be a fun trip through some beautiful country. I don't know the road conditions precisely, but from what I've been reading it's nothing technical or very challenging. This is about the journey, and not about how big of a rock we can climb over or who's tires are bigger. A high-clearance 4x4 vehicle should be able to manage the roads. I plan on shooting alot of photos while I'm out, as I always do. Camp gear will be needed, as there are 3 nights of camping. You'll also want to bring a cooler for food that we can pick up before and on the way. I typically cook/eat breakfast and dinner at camp, and eat lunch while on the trail.

I will be heading out of San Diego, but we can rally at the AZ/Cali Border or Prescott AZ before heading out. Feel free to message me with any questions that you have. I hope this post catches the eye of the right person who has been looking for a reason to pull the trigger and get off the pavement.

Cheers-

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

I am still trying to figure out an get use to this site. I am heading to Moab from Ohio in September wish sn hope there will be more like this I can find as i really would like to meet up to do

Vanlanding

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lebanon, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I live in the Lebanon Ohio area and am looking to join some possible short trips in OH/KY/IN. Any ideas or interest?

Reactions: Gecko792

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

I live in the Lebanon Ohio area and am looking to join some possible short trips in OH/KY/IN. Any ideas or interest?
same here if I here of anything or you do please advise I am east of Columbus

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm new to this online thing as well. But not new to overlanding. So was hoping to meet some people to adventure with rather than just by myself, as per usual.
I am slowly finding out how to make contact with others but no real luck yet so I hope to maybe find a group an someone can advise me better how to make contacts even for trips not in my area as I want to do Maine, baja ,Alaska an more. I I can be a pretty good asset. since I will do even on my own looking to get the new garmin or GIA

Vanlanding

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lebanon, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I am slowly finding out how to make contact with others but no real luck yet so I hope to maybe find a group an someone can advise me better how to make contacts even for trips not in my area as I want to do Maine, baja ,Alaska an more. I I can be a pretty good asset. since I will do even on my own looking to get the new garmin or GIA
same here if I here of anything or you do please advise I am east of Columbus
Perhaps we can look at someone in KY. I see on YouTube that some folks like the Daniel Boone forest area. My vehicle would be fine with forest and service roads but no rock climbing. How about yours?

Xploremore

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Morris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9IHQ
I did Alaska 9 months ago, it was epic. 10,000 miles, 40 days/40 nights. Primitive camping the entire route. Epic is actually an understatement. Baja is my next big venture I've been planning. I'm working on plotting a loose course, and have been upgrading a few things on my truck as well. Thinking 2-3 weeks from San Diego to Cabo and back again.

Vanlanding

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lebanon, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Smith
Member #

A trip to Baja is on my bucket list for sure but I need to decide to finish out the Nissan Xterra Pro-4X build with a tent and kitchen first. I am also considering changing over to a small van with 4x4 and a high or pop up top so I can haul the grandkids out on some local adventures.

Reactions: gvb40

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

Perhaps we can look at someone in KY. I see on YouTube that some folks like the Daniel Boone forest area. My vehicle would be fine with forest and service roads but no rock climbing. How about yours?
Mind would also be fine, I am putting my Jeep together to overland so it would be fine I would have no issues going there just let me know an we can make contact over the phone.
I did Alaska 9 months ago, it was epic. 10,000 miles, 40 days/40 nights. Primitive camping the entire route. Epic is actually an understatement. Baja is my next big venture I've been planning. I'm working on plotting a loose course, and have been upgrading a few things on my truck as well. Thinking 2-3 weeks from San Diego to Cabo and back again.
Just advise me on a date you may think is good I am thinking on purchasing the new Garmin

Reactions: SashaLee

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

Your rig is coming along much better but I should have my goose gear platform in about a. Month my first big trip will be Moab in September, And then maybe some other places close around there

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

HI all,

In pixel form exists the large online world of overlanding and off-road exploration and adventure. In reality though, I hardly anyone who even knows what that means, much less has the interest, resource or will to join.

So I figured I'd reach out to that online world by means of posting my plan on this forum in the case that any like minded people catch it and find interest in joining me.

The thrill of adventure and exploration by means of journeying through unseen places and camping under the night sky beckons me often, if not always.
This time, the satiation comes by a Northen Arizona trail traversing off-road trek that I've recently read about. I spent a couple hours yesterday studying charts, maps and journels and ended up plotting a course that's just over 150 miles long from dirt-begin to dirt-end. It primarily runs North through the Prescott and Kalibab National Forests, and ultimately ends at the south rim of the Grand Canyon. My course runs over much wooded lands and grasslands, climbing from 3500' to over 7500' and then back down again. The trail passes 3 small towns along the way to restock/refuel etc as needed.

I'm planning on spending 3 nights on the trail overall, so a total of 4 days should return me back home again. I'm loosely planing to leave early Monday morning 6/10 from San Diego, travel the 450 miles (6.5 hrs roughly) to the start of my trail and head right into the wild. I figure make 15-30 miles off-road and then find suitable camping spot for the night. Day 2 (Tues) wake early and put 60 or so miles behind us while making time to visit Jerome ghost town, stop at abandoned mines along the way, grab a bite at a town and resupply if need be, and then hit the hills for another camp location. Day 3 (Wed) will be the last 40-60 miles and one more night of camping. I'm hoping to find a suitiable water source along the way to do some fishing in, but we'll see. The Day 4 (Thurs 6/13) is an early morning Grand Canyon stop n view, and then back west to southern Cali. Attached is a screenshot from my phone of the course I plotted with the way points removed for clarity. It's the yellow line that the blue arrows are pointing to. Gives you an idea of the general area.

I know it's short notice, but if there's someone else out there who wants to get out and off the road and is ready to do so, this will be a fun trip through some beautiful country. I don't know the road conditions precisely, but from what I've been reading it's nothing technical or very challenging. This is about the journey, and not about how big of a rock we can climb over or who's tires are bigger. A high-clearance 4x4 vehicle should be able to manage the roads. I plan on shooting alot of photos while I'm out, as I always do. Camp gear will be needed, as there are 3 nights of camping. You'll also want to bring a cooler for food that we can pick up before and on the way. I typically cook/eat breakfast and dinner at camp, and eat lunch while on the trail.

I will be heading out of San Diego, but we can rally at the AZ/Cali Border or Prescott AZ before heading out. Feel free to message me with any questions that you have. I hope this post catches the eye of the right person who has been looking for a reason to pull the trigger and get off the pavement.

Cheers-

View attachment 102056
I really do like the way you did this I am hoping when I head west things will become easier to figure out an get familiar but like I keep saying gotta start somewhere

Xploremore

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Morris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9IHQ
A trip to Baja is on my bucket list for sure but I need to decide to finish out the Nissan Xterra Pro-4X build with a tent and kitchen first. I am also considering changing over to a small van with 4x4 and a high or pop up top so I can haul the grandkids out on some local adventures.
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Good luck with the build!

SashaLee

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA 90815, USA
First Name
Sasha
Last Name
Kanno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BZX
Doing a similar trip but we can’t leave until June 25th. Headed to the North Rim for a few days and then back.

Baja is awesome, you should go!

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

Doing a similar trip but we can’t leave until June 25th. Headed to the North Rim for a few days and then back.

advise me as it woukd be great

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

I hit send before finishing. would be great to have anyone else. I am heading to Moab but will go anywere ic someone has something planned. just advise an let's make contact

Gecko792

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Callander
Member #

ok I figured since coming from Ohio I should at least have my platform on to make the best I it woukd br st least August before I would head out be safe have fun

SashaLee

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA 90815, USA
First Name
Sasha
Last Name
Kanno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BZX
That's good news! I've pushed back my dates till the 24th.
Are you a HAM? We could potentially hook up along the trail somewhere.

I have tons of maps for Baja if you’re interested. It’s getting really hot now so advise the weather if heading down.

Reactions: Gecko792