Anyone in the Atlanta, GA Area?

• HTML tutorial

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

Hey Willrunner, I am also in the Woodstock/Roswell area. Looking to start planning some spring weekend trips if anyone wants to join.
Alright!
Things are starting to get momentum... A group of us (OB) members ran parts of the GA Traverse yesterday, it was a great run with 10 Rigs so we will be getting together for future trips!!!

Reactions: Brandon Moebs

Brandon Moebs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Woodstock, GA
Member #

Hey Moebs,
I live in Woodstock area too! I just got back from Afghanistan, and would love to do a trip! What did you have in mind?
Hey Yoder,

First off thank you for you service. But I am thinking of taking some just camping trips mid march. Just got a smittybilt RTT that I wanna try out. Thinking either Fort Mountain, Amicalola Falls, or Ellijay. Simple leave saturday, come back sunday night type since I have Saturday Classes. would love to hit some of the the GA traverse too eventually

Reactions: WillRunner

John Yoder

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Woodstock, GA
Member #

Hey Yoder,

First off thank you for you service. But I am thinking of taking some just camping trips mid march. Just got a smittybilt RTT that I wanna try out. Thinking either Fort Mountain, Amicalola Falls, or Ellijay. Simple leave saturday, come back sunday night type since I have Saturday Classes. would love to hit some of the the GA traverse too eventually
Sounds great! If you would like a tag a long, just let me know the dates! I know of some pretty good places up around Blue Ridge if that is not to far for you!

Reactions: WillRunner

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

I wish I had the time for camping, I have so much stuff going on these next few weeks... I may try to squeeze a day trip in to Tray Mountain though. I'll keep you guys posted if I can make a little time.

Reactions: Brandon Moebs

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I wish I had the time for camping, I have so much stuff going on these next few weeks... I may try to squeeze a day trip in to Tray Mountain though. I'll keep you guys posted if I can make a little time.
Check conditions before you go. As of last evening the FS has shutdown a lot of the trails as a result of recent rains. I spoke directly to a FS Ranger last night who was putting out the word and all of Tray is shutdown except to residents who live on the mountain. Unclear how long this applies but I would check before you go. Several trails have washed out and may be closed for some time. Popcorn Rd. is said to be one and Helton Creek is flooded out. Also Dick's Creek is locked out. As much water as you saw at High Shoals, even worse now. 3 days of sun but then the rains return. It might even get worse before it gets better.

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

I live between Rome and Cartersville. Me and the copilot are up for a rally some time. Any time the wheels are off the pavement is a good time for me. Even better if one is off the ground. James my copilot is delighted if it involves an overnight camp.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I live between Rome and Cartersville. Me and the copilot are up for a rally some time. Any time the wheels are off the pavement is a good time for me. Even better if one is off the ground. James my copilot is delighted if it involves an overnight camp.
Down in Marietta. Stay tuned as we tend to have meet ups every couple of months. Our last meet up couple of weeks ago was to run some of the eastern portion of the Georgia Traverse. Working on the next meet up but not ready to release details other than. Do you have an off road trailer you want to show off? Are you interested in an off road trailer and want to look at and talk with trailer owners?

Stay tuned! :grinning:

John Yoder

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Woodstock, GA
Member #

E863D712-DB3E-48BF-81D1-774A82A12EB9.jpeg B1C89409-23C9-4653-A64F-5B5768506A29.jpeg
Down in Marietta. Stay tuned as we tend to have meet ups every couple of months. Our last meet up couple of weeks ago was to run some of the eastern portion of the Georgia Traverse. Working on the next meet up but not ready to release details other than. Do you have an off road trailer you want to show off? Are you interested in an off road trailer and want to look at and talk with trailer owners?

Stay tuned! :grinning:
I have a Offroad trailer that I have just finished up! Here are some pictures! Let me know what you think!

Attachments

Brandon Moebs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Woodstock, GA
Member #

Love the Trailer John! I started converting an old utility trailer to a camper but lost focus and drive for it months ago, still just sitting under a tarp in Augusta collecting mold. I'll find something to do with it eventually. Just put my smittbilt RTT on this week and can't wait to get out and use it.

Attachments

Brandon Moebs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Woodstock, GA
Member #

Check conditions before you go. As of last evening the FS has shutdown a lot of the trails as a result of recent rains. I spoke directly to a FS Ranger last night who was putting out the word and all of Tray is shutdown except to residents who live on the mountain. Unclear how long this applies but I would check before you go. Several trails have washed out and may be closed for some time. Popcorn Rd. is said to be one and Helton Creek is flooded out. Also Dick's Creek is locked out. As much water as you saw at High Shoals, even worse now. 3 days of sun but then the rains return. It might even get worse before it gets better.

Thanks for the great info! Thinking about going up to Blue ridge and doing the Cohutta wilderness driving tour #2. Its 60 miles round trip and about half is gravel/dirt roads. link attached is the map and description.

blueridgemountains.com > self guided tours and maps > surrounded by scenic drives map > a ride to the cohutta wilderness > PDF file

Attachments

Reactions: Keith McAlister

John Yoder

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Woodstock, GA
Member #

Love the Trailer John! I started converting an old utility trailer to a camper but lost focus and drive for it months ago, still just sitting under a tarp in Augusta collecting mold. I'll find something to do with it eventually. Just put my smittbilt RTT on this week and can't wait to get out and use it.
If you ever want to start building it up, let me know! I love doing that kind of stuff! I have two teenaged daughters, that is why I went with the pop-up version! I do have an old utility trader too that I would like to build up! Is the smittybuilt better than the CVT tents?

Brandon Moebs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Woodstock, GA
Member #

If you ever want to start building it up, let me know! I love doing that kind of stuff! I have two teenaged daughters, that is why I went with the pop-up version! I do have an old utility trader too that I would like to build up! Is the smittybuilt better than the CVT tents?
Love the pop up version, makes it more compact and nimble vs full size utility trailer. I am not sure if smittybilt is better than CVT. Ive watched endless videos and read pages of reviews on both and did not notice any major differences. CVT offers different styles though which I've heard are better. Summit version is better for colder weather, CVT also offers more size options. but the basic entry CVT compared to the smittybilt are almost identical. except in price. got my smittbilt for $700 from 4wd.com with a coupon where cheapest CVT is $1300. the smittybilt is now on version 2.0 or 3.0 which had made many durably improvements that i plan on reviewing throughout continued usage.