Anyone in the Atlanta, GA Area?

• HTML tutorial

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I wanna go explore Johns Mountain WMA one of the weekends coming up. If anyone is interested we can caravan out together and do a day of driving/exploring?
Love that area. I'm in Marietta (East of Town Center) so if you ever want to go, give me a shout. We went to Coopers Creek yesterday (posted in the Tenn. Ala. Ga. thread the details earlier today) and plan on going back to check out Duncan Ridge.

If you like, anyone interested in a meet up to discuss/scheme some trips, count me in.

Reactions: Ichibahn

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Hey guys, (midtown) Im down for meet ups and trips. What if we looked into putting together a monthly meet up (ex. 3rd Thursday of every month)? This way there is some kind of frequency to the madness.
I work nights so anything during the week I can't make. Not expecting everything on the weekends but if you could throw me a bone every once in a while would be nice.

Esteban

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chattanooga, TN 37406
Member #

Understandable, good news is most trips take place on weekends. Speaking of which, we've got a single nighter planned for this weekend. Northwestern section of the GT and possibly Houston Valley UHV.

Reactions: Keith McAlister

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Understandable, good news is most trips take place on weekends. Speaking of which, we've got a single nighter planned for this weekend. Northwestern section of the GT and possibly Houston Valley UHV.
Leaving out 4 am Saturday morning to move my daughter to Clearwater. Coming back Monday or Tuesday. August 21st is my wife's 59th b'day and we are off and out early that day to head North to chase the darkness ie total eclipse. Thinking around Turtletown or Reliant Tenn just south of Telico Plains which we think will be off the beaten path. Anyone is welcome to join us if you like.

One other item. Thought I read that Houston Valley is mostly a motorcycle and 4 wheeler playground with 4 wheel drive rigs very limited to anything at all. I may be wrong but just wanted to mention in case I heard right.

Last edited:

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Anybody going to Expo East? Because of other commitments we are only going up for 1 day on Saturday. I understand the OB will have a display there so any interest in meeting there at a specific time for those going? As we approach leaf watching season, a trip into Cataloochee and Cades Cove might be an idea. I'm on vacation for 2 weeks mid October so if anyone interested in some weekday fun when the trails are less occupied, hit me up. BTW heard Parson Rd. out of Cades Cove is closed. Anyone with any Intel on that?

Esteban

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chattanooga, TN 37406
Member #

Anybody going to Expo East? Because of other commitments we are only going up for 1 day on Saturday. I understand the OB will have a display there so any interest in meeting there at a specific time for those going? As we approach leaf watching season, a trip into Cataloochee and Cades Cove might be an idea. I'm on vacation for 2 weeks mid October so if anyone interested in some weekday fun when the trails are less occupied, hit me up. BTW heard Parson Rd. out of Cades Cove is closed. Anyone with any Intel on that?
I'll be volunteering fri - sun at expo. not sure of my schedule yet. Intel on Parsons Rd and others. https://www.smokiesadventure.com/alerts.htm and for details https://www.smokiesadventure.com/smokymountains/explorations/parsons_branch_road.htm

Reactions: Keith McAlister

J R

Rank 0

Traveler I

Earth
Member #

Just arrived in GA for a few-month work gig, and I'm curious about the GA Traverse for some easy trail driving and mountain scenery... If anyone has completed it, I'm curious how many days it took. While not ideal, any concerns with running it solo?

Esteban

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chattanooga, TN 37406
Member #

Just arrived in GA for a few-month work gig, and I'm curious about the GA Traverse for some easy trail driving and mountain scenery... If anyone has completed it, I'm curious how many days it took. While not ideal, any concerns with running it solo?
Welcome. While I haven't done it a single trip. I've done about 70% and I have estimated it can be done in or around 5-6 days (going at a leisurely pace). Keep in mind its roughly 400 miles of travel, and i'm sure you'll want to relax and enjoy some of that time out of your rig. With a properly working 4x4 and a dry week, this can absolutely be done solo. The only "rough" section is located on Tray Mountain right outside of Helen. This road gets heavy use from all off road groups in Georgia, so if you did run into trouble it wouldn't be long until help came around. Hope this helps.

J R

Rank 0

Traveler I

Earth
Member #

Much appreciated. Just ran Tray last weekend... Not like the southwest rocks that I'm accustomed to (slipping and sliding in the GA soup) but fun and no problems. Thanks again.

Reactions: Esteban

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Few months ago I attended a local 4x club meeting where a science report was discussed on various surfaces and their friction. According to this report, wet Georgia clay has less friction than black ice.

To say we all howled in laughter yet at the same time in full agreement would be an understatement.

Just thought I'd throw that out for a humorous side note as we discuss North Georgia 4 wheeling. There are also several YouTube videos on the Georgia Traverse that one might find useful and don't ignore some of the 2 wheel videos as some of those YouTube's have some good details vids of certain trails. I've exchanged messages with a few and they were a valuable resource.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

One other quick question. Any of you North Atlanta/Cobb County Overlanders out today (7/27) on Barrett Parkway in black 4 Runner with rooftop tent around the noonish hour? Looks like they were coming from the Barrett Home Depot direction turning onto Barrett.

I saw a nice rig that looked like a fairly serious Overlander rig and was just curious if it was anyone here.

If it was and interested in a free cup of coffee sometime, shout out as this Tundra owner will buy. For that matter, anyone else in the North Cobb area or greater environs, same offer applies.

Anyone going to the Jeep and Truck fest at the Galleria next weekend? I'm going Saturday August 5th if anyone is interested. Hit me up for more details or see 4 Wheel Drive Parts website or their store in Marietta or Norcross.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I wanna go explore Johns Mountain WMA one of the weekends coming up. If anyone is interested we can caravan out together and do a day of driving/exploring?
I'm game for going to Johns Mountain WMA. Hit me up. Another local OB member may likely join us as well as we met up this past weekend at the Jeep and Truck Fest and talked about trips and organizing a local meet up. Reply here or PM, works either way.

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

I'm game for going to Johns Mountain WMA. Hit me up. Another local OB member may likely join us as well as we met up this past weekend at the Jeep and Truck Fest and talked about trips and organizing a local meet up. Reply here or PM, works either way.
I'm in. Never been up there.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I'm in. Never been up there.
Nice place, laid back. You'll enjoy. My wife and I have been there, in fact I picked my Tundra up on a Saturday and the next morning we were up and out for a trip to Johns Mountain. People could not believe I was going off road with a new truck but that was exactly what I got it for, The Forest Service Roads are easy if you will and the Overlook at the top of the mountain in nice. I hear the sunsets are spectacular so a late afternoon/night op is on our list.

John Yoder

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Woodstock, GA
Member #

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to GA (been living here for 7 months), I'd like to get to know some folks here who have a passion for off road adventure and travel like me.
Hey WillRunner, I live in Woodstock, I too am new to Overland and would like to meet up with some new people to find some new trails. Unfortunately I am working in Afghanistan till December and than I will be back at home full time. Hit me up than if you are still interested and maybe will can plan a trip!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: WillRunner