Anyone in Boise/West Central Idaho?

• HTML tutorial

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Like the title says. We have our home base in Boise, Idaho. Just curious if anyone else is in the area.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

We moved here back in September as we needed a place to settle down for awhile so our youngest could see a speech therapist. I've been over on NWOL site but it didn't seem to active for our area.

Hey Weave

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meridian, ID
Member #

We moved here back in September as we needed a place to settle down for awhile so our youngest could see a speech therapist. I've been over on NWOL site but it didn't seem to active for our area.
I never seem to find anything that helps me plan a trip that fits our schedule, vehicle, or interests. Usually just end up planning our own trips based on something we read or something someone tells us about.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

I never seem to find anything that helps me plan a trip that fits our schedule, vehicle, or interests.

That happens with us too. I hear a lot of people say "never overland by yourself," but then we'd nearly never go anywhere. So we prep to support ourselves and recognize the hazards of that choice. We're also not foolish in our travels.

Reactions: NetDep

Hey Weave

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meridian, ID
Member #

That happens with us too. I hear a lot of people say "never overland by yourself," but then we'd nearly never go anywhere. So we prep to support ourselves and recognize the hazards of that choice. We're also not foolish in our travels.

...and I'm kinda leaving town to get away from people. LOL.

I'm in transition with vehicles, from the Discovery to my new four door F150, so although it may not be as nimble and capable, we are liking the extra room for people and cargo, and the added reliability to get out further. We are taking it to NWOR, taking an entire week on the road. Should get some good ideas and flush out some bugs.

Reactions: escadventure

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

We end up doing a lot by ourselves too. But we have a lot of years of experience and generally like you, always travel prepared for the trip at hand.

I'm in transition with vehicles, from the Discovery to my new four door F150, so although it may not be as nimble and capable, we are liking the extra room for people and cargo, and the added reliability to get out further. We are taking it to NWOR, taking an entire week on the road. Should get some good ideas and flush out some bugs.
Full sizes are becoming more popular. You'll enjoy it. We started out with a much smaller overland rig. When we had kids and decided to travel fulltime in the Airstream it necessitied a truck by default. We've never been limited by it's size yet. And in a lot of cases, it's more stable than the shorter wheelbase.

Sure, multi point turns are a thing, but roll over hazard has significantly decreased. And the comfort and room, especially with kids, very much welcomed.

Hey Weave

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meridian, ID
Member #

Not my first full-sized but definitely have a couple more kids, dogs, and stuff this time around. We had the camper, too. I tried to simplify things and get off the pavement but I found that I couldn't simplify enough and still make the smaller rig work. I'm just trying to figure out the bed storage dilemma, that's something I'll be looking at during NWOR this year.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

escadventure

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ruidoso, NM, USA
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Howes
Service Branch
USAF vet

Keep us posted on how you like the change to full size. We went from FJC to F150 a few years ago and love it. With a few mods it has proven to be very capable and comfortable.

Hey Weave

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meridian, ID
Member #

We are in the process of moving but we'd be interested in something mid-October if there's a chance.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I'd be game for something around that time. Might start getting a little chilly heading into the mountains, but there are some cool things to do.

One fun run I did was up Railroad Ridge, which is the highest dirt mountain road in Idaho. Nothing technical about it. Just a nice drive.

Also, a lot to explore over on the eastern side of Oregon near Liesle Gulch area.

Reactions: Reichling

Hey Weave

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meridian, ID
Member #

I'm also down to meet up for a frosty beverage somewhere and put some dates on a calendar so we can put the word on the street about a few trips. Never too early, and sometimes if it isn't on the calendar ahead of time it doesn't happen.

Reactions: Reichling

Reichling

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise County, ID, USA
Member #

I'm also down to meet up for a frosty beverage somewhere and put some dates on a calendar so we can put the word on the street about a few trips. Never too early, and sometimes if it isn't on the calendar ahead of time it doesn't happen.

Sounds good to me! I am out of town through the 15th but my schedule should be fairly open after that.

Will be good to set a date that way we can use that new Rally Point feature. It alerts members in the area about the trip. Some people in the area may not browse this specific sub forum.

Reactions: Hey Weave

Hey Weave

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meridian, ID
Member #

Maybe some of the fires will calm down and the smoke will blow out by then.