Anyone have knowledge or experience with leveling kits for 2014 Ram Trucks?

• HTML tutorial

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

So I went off the information I saw on the inter webs and moved to purchase BFG 34x11.5's for my 2014 Ram Power Wagon. After telling the shop, they ordered 34x12.5 R17 BFG's. Partly my fault in that I didn't double check them coming off the lot. Thinking I had the 11.5's it turns out that I have the 12.5's which ultimately rub on the control arm. Im looking for a solution to keep the tire from rubbing. Im thinking leveling kit for the front end... ultimately I think a lift would work but that is a lot more money than I prefer to spend. I have yet to get in touch with the shop that did the install (holidays and such have prevented me from doing so)

Any experienced knowledge would be greatly appreciated

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I could be wrong but I don't think a leveling kit isnt going to help the rubbing issue. I believe you need a different offset on your wheels to move them out away from the control arms. Do they contact at full lock?

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

A leveling kit will stop tire rub to the fender at lock but not the rubbing on the control arm. For that you'll either need Hub spacers or wheels with a different back spacing.

Hub spacers will be cheaper but I'll always believe they're dangerous no matter how popular they are. They also put extra stress on wheel bearings but that may be inconsequential if you only get them wide enough to fit the tires.

The other option you have is more fun but more expensive. New Wheels.

I'd be riding on stock wheels right now if my 35's fit better on them. I never wanted to get aftermarket wheels because I didn't really want a "Pretty truck" but I accepted it and did it. The only real down side is now I take more pictures in Parking lots. lol

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

My buddy runs spacers, he has lost a wheel going down the road TWICEY

Yes TWICEY... google spooby < again...yes i said spooby.

Anyways... you need wheels with some back space cheif...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I also agree that wheel spacers are not ideal. That being said, I have them on my jeep right now. They weren't in the the plans, but became necessary because of rear tire/shock issues. After a lot of research I decided that they can be safe. I retorque my spacers every 3000 miles when I change the oil and I use thread lock on them. The lug nuts on spacers are no more likely to come loose than those on your wheels, the difference is you can see the lit nuts on the spacers so they are harder to check. I also think that some of the bad rep that spacers have comes from the style of spacers that are basically just big washers. If you get the style of spacer that bolts to your hubs, then have a new set of studs coming out of them they are safer. But I still think that wheels with better back spacing is the way to go.

Reactions: IronPercheron

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I also agree that wheel spacers are not ideal. That being said, I have them on my jeep right now. They weren't in the the plans, but became necessary because of rear tire/shock issues. After a lot of research I decided that they can be safe. I retorque my spacers every 3000 miles when I change the oil and I use thread lock on them. The lug nuts on spacers are no more likely to come loose than those on your wheels, the difference is you can see the lit nuts on the spacers so they are harder to check. I also think that some of the bad rep that spacers have comes from the style of spacers that are basically just big washers. If you get the style of spacer that bolts to your hubs, then have a new set of studs coming out of them they are safer. But I still think that wheels with better back spacing is the way to go.
Thats hitting the nail on the head.

^^^^

Because knowing the guy i mentioned... they are not being checked

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Iv'e used wheel spacers before, hated them myself. So i went and bought a set of Cragar Soft 8s and never looked back!

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I would go back and raise a slight bit of hell because that is danger and expensive. More importantly, dangerous, in the worst case of a blowout.