Anyone have issues with high CG trailers off-road?

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I have a CDN M101 with a RTT mounted on a rack flush with the top. I have considered building a rack that raises tent two feet or so giving easier access into the trailer. I've also seen racks that telescope raising the tent three or four feet, but want to keep it simple. My concern lies in raising a 300lb RTT another couple of feet creating a high CG issue off-road as I've seen quite a few trailers on this forum with tents raised above the trailer.

Current setup:
IMG_1240.JPG

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Pretty sure that an adjustable platform for the tent is the way to go... that is my plan of action on my trailer build.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Keep the CG as low as possible, but wider trailers can handle a higher CG better.

A foot probably wouldn't be noticeable but go too high and you might run into issues depending on how much weight is on the bottom.

But yes, I've almost had my trailer tip. The only thing keeping it from doing so was the standard 2" ball.

The axle is a 42" and the box is around 52 inches tall with 3 deck boards on top and an elevated kayak bunk. On the bottom is a 4k generator, 7 gallons of water, class 27 deep cycle and a cooler with 50 pounds of ice... and I still get a wheel off the ground pulling up a steep, off camber embankment to get on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeepney

Johnnie Canuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

image.jpg My trailers pretty light unloaded, and i have a fixed rail for mounting my rtt. The floor of the tent sits about 6'-4" from the ground. I havnt had any tipping issues yet, though one time i was worried.
But an adjustable set-up is alot cooler!

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

I have a CDN M101 with a RTT mounted on a rack flush with the top. I have considered building a rack that raises tent two feet or so giving easier access into the trailer. I've also seen racks that telescope raising the tent three or four feet, but want to keep it simple. My concern lies in raising a 300lb RTT another couple of feet creating a high CG issue off-road as I've seen quite a few trailers on this forum with tents raised above the trailer.

Current setup:
View attachment 29378
Concern if you add an annex you're going to need about 66 inches to clear the ground at setup

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Depending on you use of a trailer and what type of road surface and angles your adventures will take you on CG is something you need to consider. Moabaz makes a very interesting RTT tent lift for their trailers. It keeps CG low while traveling.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Keeping a low CG was one of the main priorities when I searched for my trailer.

That 18" of height that serves no other purpose while traveling seems a waste.

I have had to do a quick lane change at freeway speed where a trailer that high (above pic) would be very concerning.
And some of the off-camber trails that I have run may also be a problem, not only the height, but the stuff that could run into trees, rocks, etc. if it were to stick up that high.

My box is low and my tent sits right on top of the lid, I feel like I've got it as low as I can.

Besides, I'm getting to the point where the lower the ladder is to climb into bed, the better!

Reactions: vegasjeepguy