Anyone have expertise in importing vehicles into the US?

• HTML tutorial

k9sar

Local Expert, Georgia USA

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
Greeting OB family,

I am looking to buy a truck from a fellow OB member from Canada to the US. It's a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ75. It has the original motor, matching numbers on body and frame VIN plates. Is there anyone here who is in the import business who can give me some advice or direction to go? I would prefer to do business with a fellow member if they would be interested. It would be imported from Vancouver BC to North Georgia, USA. I've attached a picture of the truck for attention.

Thank you for your time and any assistance,

Tim

Attachments

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Call Vancouver Customs Brokers, They handle general freight & Auto's I believe, Tell them what your doing and they will get you Straight & Narrow PH#604 733 8881

Reactions: k9sar

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I do General freight Into & Out of Canada - You need a customs Broker to Clear Customs and Handle Tax & fee's, He may be able to suggest an Auto Carrier also Not sure of a Good one

k9sar

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
Call Vancouver Customs Brokers, They handle general freight & Auto's I believe, Tell them what your doing and they will get you Straight & Narrow PH#604 733 8881

I was passed off to Canadian border control. :-\

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I know Auto's are Different - Good News is That dealing with them direct You might be able to drive across the Border after you pay Duties

k9sar

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
I know Auto's are Different - Good News is That dealing with them direct You might be able to drive across the Border after you pay Duties

I was never able to talk with a real human.

df150

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canada
First Name
Denis
Last Name
G
Member #

Try to find importer of RHD vehicles in Vancouver area (perhaps seller knows someone, ask him how did he imported this vehicle), they import these all the time from Japan to Canada and should be able to help you out. There is one like that here in Ontario that imported my Skyline for me from Japan, painless process and they know what needs to be done.

WestieTRD

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

6108 NW Snowlily Dr, Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Blurton
Member #

I'm sure this won't be helpful :) but here's 2 cents. I haven't tried a RHD diesel, but it is on my todo list! I want this one if it doesn't work out for you!

We moved from Canada to the US and imported a Jeep, and a Mazda - built in Japan.

Jeep was easy, it was just coming home. Luckily the Mazda was just a Ford Probe that met emissions - proved with a letter we had faxed at the last minute from Mazda US. We also had paperwork proving we owned it. They cared more that it wasn't stolen and we had a title.

Pick a border you are going to want to bring it across at. Call a Customs Broker on the US side (not Canadian - they don't care) in that Port Town. Sumas for Vancouver? Pick a smaller crossing where will answer the phone.

Keep posting what you learn!