Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Nice! - I'm a recent transplant from the mitten. Is there anywhere nearby to go wheeling? I'd love to go explore some 2-tracks or maybe find some primitive camping away from RVs and/or generators?
In rockland? There’s absolutely nothing that’s legal. There quiet a few dirt roads in port jervis area which is about an hour west from us. Two hours south is the pine barrens which is in Wharton state forest. There’s lots of double track through mostly pine trees. There some sand, some water holes that are deceivingly deep. But there are a bunch of camp sites scattered around. I went last in July and it was pretty quiet. I don’t see how an rv could get to some of the sites. But that’s about the best I got.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Daver90s

Rank 0

Traveler I

Cool - That's good to know. I've driven out west of here a bit. Warwick and Goshen. Nice roads that make me want to come back and grab my bike. I've seen some video of folks wheeling through the Pine Barrens. The Tracker by Tom Brown references that area. I've alway been curious about it. In upper MI you can just get an ORV sticker and go pretty much anywhere...
Not looking for anything tooooo gnarly but the 4wd needs to been utilized. Also this is beautiful country - I want to see more of it.

Alas, I'm not on FB. It's too bad that even though a sweet forum like this exists, we still have to return to FB to connect. ( sometimes at least) -

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Cool - That's good to know. I've driven out west of here a bit. Warwick and Goshen. Nice roads that make me want to come back and grab my bike. I've seen some video of folks wheeling through the Pine Barrens. The Tracker by Tom Brown references that area. I've alway been curious about it. In upper MI you can just get an ORV sticker and go pretty much anywhere...
Not looking for anything tooooo gnarly but the 4wd needs to been utilized. Also this is beautiful country - I want to see more of it.
Yea. Unfortunately the north east is not like other places. There is no orv sticker or anything like that which kinda sucks. But it doesn’t make it that much more rewarding when you find a nice little spot that no one knows about.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

@theorangekl and @Daver90s, I am right by you both over in Putnam. There are only a few dirt roads in the area so we are out of luck on that. @Daver90s I see you ride a motorcycle and there are some legit dirt bike trails in CT for those by Thomaston Dam. I have lived in this area my whole life and don't know of any areas to go to.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
@theorangekl and @Daver90s, I am right by you both over in Putnam. There are only a few dirt roads in the area so we are out of luck on that. @Daver90s I see you ride a motorcycle and there are some legit dirt bike trails in CT for those by Thomaston Dam. I have lived in this area my whole life and don't know of any areas to go to.
I was just working for a couple months in the mahopac stop and shop. There’s some dirt roads near high point state park area which is really close to the delegate water gap area. But As far as I know there’s almost nothing more than dirt roads until you get into New Hampshire. Wharton State forest in central New Jersey has loads of miles to explore sandy/dirt roads to explore. But will destroy your vehicle in the winters. Lots of water and mud holes that turn into thick ice.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

I was just working for a couple months in the mahopac stop and shop. There’s some dirt roads near high point state park area which is really close to the delegate water gap area. But As far as I know there’s almost nothing more than dirt roads until you get into New Hampshire. Wharton State forest in central New Jersey has loads of miles to explore sandy/dirt roads to explore. But will destroy your vehicle in the winters. Lots of water and mud holes that turn into thick ice.
I was just looking more closely at your avatar. I remember seeing it over there. You have all the trail badges on the side right? It's a cool rig. I am over there often.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I was just looking more closely at your avatar. I remember seeing it over there. You have all the trail badges on the side right? It's a cool rig. I am over there often.
Yep. Two jeep badges of honor and the overland bound badge thing on the driver side. Thank you!