Anyone Canceling an adventure (namely in CA)?

• HTML tutorial

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Trip planned for April 5th in Anza Borrego.... I'm still planning on going on the adventure, even though it sounds like the California State Parks (namely designated campgrounds and visitor centers, which we will not be stopping at either) may be closed during the time.

Have you had to cancel a camping trip, or are you planning to? Or are you going for it?
#adventure(eveninquarantine)isnecessary

M

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I have the same question. Was planning to head to that same area next week. Joshua Tree says the visitor centers are closed. Does that mean you can't get into the park?

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Unless there is a gate, I think you technically can drive in, just not use the campgrounds, visitor centers or perhaps the bathrooms too. I don't actually think there is a gate to block the entrance to Joshua, or Death Valley, Anza Borrego etc for that matter. I've never seen one.

Reactions: Hoss2500

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Folks, check the official sites for places where you plan to go. The sites will let you know if you can still go through the park, camp or not, and if facilities will be open or not.

Guessing, or depending on just what someone else on a forum thinks might be happening, can get you in trouble.

- During shutdowns and closures there may not be park personnel for safety, first-aid, and rescue assistance if you get hurt, stranded, or stuck.

- During the govt shutdown last year, people were straying off trails, driving around barriers and camping, and got fined or arrested, not to mention caused a lot of bad publicity for campers, 'overlanders' and off-road enthusiasts.

Here's the state park page notice for Anza-Borrego SP:

Here's the official page for Joshua Tree:

Most NP sites have an alerts page, too:

Whether the virus scare tightens or lightens, continue to check the pages before you go anywhere. They may say something completely different in two days then they do now.

*** IMPORTANT: The population in many towns near recreation areas are nervous about folks visiting during the pandemic and have asked folks to stay away. Don't be part of making them more nervous.

Communities and parks in some states are worried about visitors, their local supplies getting used up, too much trash being left behind, and having a higher incidence of infection because of visitors.

If you have plans to vacation, think how many others have plans too, as well as how many have decided to take advantage of sudden time off to go. Just because where you're going is out in the willow-wacks does not mean you can get there and back safely or not cause undue worries for others.

Even if you take everything you need, folks will be worried visitors are part of their shelves being empty or using/infecting their public bathrooms.

*** Best advice out there to slow transmission of Covid-19 is to behave like you have it and stay home.

Large parts of California have told the population to shelter in place. That means everyone in those areas. It means be responsible, don't go, and don't risk infecting others or becoming infected.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive.

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
SoCalFest for NAXJA (Jeep XJ Association) is supposed to take place at Calico this year, but as a regional park it is currently closed. No idea if it will reopen in time for the event or not, but my bet would be not.

Hoss2500

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Tustin, southern california
First Name
MATT
Last Name
HURTADO
Member #

Folks, check the official sites for places where you plan to go. The sites will let you know if you can still go through the park, camp or not, and if facilities will be open or not.

Guessing, or depending on just what someone else on a forum thinks might be happening, can get you in trouble.

- During shutdowns and closures there may not be park personnel for safety, first-aid, and rescue assistance if you get hurt, stranded, or stuck.

- During the govt shutdown last year, people were straying off trails, driving around barriers and camping, and got fined or arrested, not to mention caused a lot of bad publicity for campers, 'overlanders' and off-road enthusiasts.

Here's the state park page notice for Anza-Borrego SP:

Here's the official page for Joshua Tree:

Most NP sites have an alerts page, too:

Whether the virus scare tightens or lightens, continue to check the pages before you go anywhere. They may say something completely different in two days then they do now.

*** IMPORTANT: The population in many towns near recreation areas are nervous about folks visiting during the pandemic and have asked folks to stay away. Don't be part of making them more nervous.

Communities and parks in some states are worried about visitors, their local supplies getting used up, too much trash being left behind, and having a higher incidence of infection because of visitors.

If you have plans to vacation, think how many others have plans too, as well as how many have decided to take advantage of sudden time off to go. Just because where you're going is out in the willow-wacks does not mean you can get there and back safely or not cause undue worries for others.

Even if you take everything you need, folks will be worried visitors are part of their shelves being empty or using/infecting their public bathrooms.

*** Best advice out there to slow transmission of Covid-19 is to behave like you have it and stay home.

Large parts of California have told the population to shelter in place. That means everyone in those areas. It means be responsible, don't go, and don't risk infecting others or becoming infected.

Well said!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
exactly. the wife and i have cancelled a couple trips so far, but whatever we were going to see will still be there after this mess clears.
i'm using all this time to handle my laundry list of maintenance items and all those small things that i keep blowing off....caulk that leaky window, fix the dripping faucet, change oil and filters on vehicles and equipment, clean out the closet. now is the perfect time for all that and then when the smoke clears, we can take off on long trips and i won't have that list on the back of my mind anymore. :grinning:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

exactly. the wife and i have cancelled a couple trips so far, but whatever we were going to see will still be there after this mess clears.
i'm using all this time to handle my laundry list of maintenance items and all those small things that i keep blowing off....caulk that leaky window, fix the dripping faucet, change oil and filters on vehicles and equipment, clean out the closet. now is the perfect time for all that and then when the smoke clears, we can take off on long trips and i won't have that list on the back of my mind anymore. :grinning:

Great attitude, man. Glad the SpamMeistro approves!

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
@Road I get the info, but don't know if I validate that myself and the rest of the group stopping in for gas or cheetos will be a catalyst for humanities demise. :grin: And the group that we are going with will not cut fences, leave trash, or create mayhem. That I am sure of.

I was on IG yesterday and was in a discussion with Death Valley NP, and they were still promoting the park is open, except for designated campgrounds and the visitor center. Some were saying they were going to the park and/or already there and the DV NP Instagram representative was happy they were there.

Reactions: SashaLee and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road I get the info, but don't know if I validate that myself and the rest of the group stopping in for gas or cheetos will be a catalyst for humanities demise. :grin: And the group that we are going with will not cut fences, leave trash, or create mayhem. That I am sure of.

I was on IG yesterday and was in a discussion with Death Valley NP, and they were still promoting the park is open, except for designated campgrounds and the visitor center. Some were saying they were going to the park and/or already there and the DV NP Instagram representative was happy they were there.

Yeah, I agree, none of us think of ourselves as contributors to spreading the virus, and we all still want to go on our planned adventures, as well as take advantage of sudden time off to get out there if we had no plans.

The larger point I'm making, to those who peek in on this thread too, is:

- other folks may not see us that way in some of the places we're going to or through, and may be worried and cautious. It's human nature to want to find someone to blame, even if we were not responsible for whatever they think we did.

- to stay informed of closures and limiting details, as they are changing daily

There are already stories of folks not being able to get back to their home towns, retrieve vehicles from delivery points, etc.

Hell, I'm getting looks of anger just from folks around here if I go for fuel, because though I'm healthy as a 35 yr old, I'm old AF. Like "what the fuck are you doing out, old man, you're gonna get us all sick!"

Good luck out there.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Reactions: Hoss2500

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I disagree with staying at home and being squeeky clean all the time unless your real old or feeble. The fact is if you dont have it yet you probably will soon and there is no real way around it, we arent allowed by law to wear masks in public in the usa aside from halloween . After youve had it if it dont kill you you will have built an immune response to the new sars virus and the next time flares up you will be less likely to contract it or it will be much weaker.

We cant save everyone and folks need to come to terms with that. They know almost zero about this strain of corona or sars virus other than they think it originated in a bat where most corona virus comes from then transfered to a pangulan that possibly sneezed or pooped on someone at the wuhan wet market.

It amazes me how much people fight nature, shes gonna have her way with you. Even flu vaccines dont always work. Went from chicken pox parties in the 80s( remember if you didnt get pox bad enough they could come back again, then later in life cause shingles) to quarantining over represtory illness. All we can do at this point is let the virus run its course, each generation of the virus will get weaker and weaker the virus wants to survive too so it will evolve so as not to kill all the hosts its living off of.

Reactions: Stomper4x4

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
@Road I totally understand.

We aren't going till April 5th, which at this point is after the 15 day Self-Quarantine period...at least at this time.

Well, back to the garage to organize and work on the Jeep for the 15th time this week. LOL

Reactions: Road

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I came home early from Baja. I wasn't going to caught in Baja without away home.(Closed borders) I am the only family in So. Cal. If he gets sick and I am stuck in Baja, I couldn't forgive myself.
It's apparent that many here don't understand what is going on now. This isn't the flu we all know, this is the flu meets the native population without any antibodies. More natives died because of disease than guns. Please show me where the government has ever done anything like it is now.
This virus is very contagious, It starts in the sinus move to the lungs, while in the lungs many people get pneumonia, with the pneumonia and the virus people go into pulmonary failure, then they need a respirator. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH RESPIRATORS. WE CAN'T GET ENOUGH TO SUPPORT THOSE THAT ARE SICK. You may feel fine and carry the virus. You leave the virus someplace, somebody picks it up and feels fine. that person goes home and hugs grandma. Grandma dies.
I understand that getting out is a strong call to all of us. The middle of nowhere should be safe, getting there isn't. Gas pumps, keypads. stores, all can holding the virus. I hope to spend a few more years with my Pops.

Last edited:

Contributor I

All long plans are cancelled. I might (maybe, depending on how the situation evolves where I'm at) go for a drive for a few hours this weekend to get out and away. But that's looking less and less every hour. I may just end up fiddling with my vehicle this weekend, clean out the garage, get things set up for when it really is safe to leave. Not just safe for me, but also safe for people I may come in contact with, cause I don't know if I am or am not sick. People are asymptomatic with COVID-19. I wish that all of you really did pay attention to the recommendations to get some medical training. Michael has touted this and pushed this for quite some time, before I signed onto the forums and was a lurker the need for training was being put out there.

Everyone should consider their actions as a whole. You should not go anywhere. This isn’t for our own sake. It’s an urgent request to slow the spread of the disease, saving the lives of elderly people and those with compromised immune systems, and lessening the burden on our healthcare system. It’s the only proven strategy for decreasing the death toll. And yet in a corner of the world where the disease is not yet definitively present, social distancing can feel over-reactive. Here in the US, we can't even come to a consensus on how, who, or when people should be tested. We really do not have an idea of who is or is not infected. We don't have the infrastructure in place to handle this at the moment. We're having difficulty defining what a hotzone is, let alone where they are in the US at the moment.

The only thing shown to stop the spread of the virus is to not travel. To social distance. To self-quarantine. It’s the only proven strategy for decreasing the death toll. I write this from my desk at work. A place that I get to be at because I'm deemed essential for the operation of our government. I get to interact with people that I don't know; I don't know where they've been; I don't know who they've interacted with. Though I'm not in healthcare, I do have medical training, and I am genuinely concerned about people's selfishness. I'm tracking mountain and desert communities being overran by people social distancing. Increasing the probability of bringing the virus to a town or community that doesn't have the infrastructure to deal with this medical crisis (Bishop, Lone Pine, Moab, Springdale... to name a few) Right now is a serious time in the world. Get that through your heads please. You may feel "fine", you may not. You may not necessarily be in the targeted "danger age", but you can transmit COVID-19 to someone who might be compromised; and they will die. Let that sink in. They will die.

Stay home. Please.

* I know that the majority of people are going to outright skim past this post, some are going to read it and say to themselves that this doesn't apply. I'm just one little voice on a forum, but hopefully some of you 'get it' and can get others to do the same.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If your gonna just sit at home fiddling around with your rig or whatever to pass the time until it blows over you may not be leaving the house for what is being said 18 months till it dies off. But and this is a big ole but there arent sure how long it will take. thats just the last number i heard on local news.

Loved ones aside this is likely a good thing for the world to have less people.
the same thing respritory illness happens in commercial chicken barns and pig barns when they get overpopulated. Im suprised something like this or worse hasnt taken off earlier in major citys.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

If your gonna just sit at home fiddling around with your rig or whatever to pass the time until it blows over you may not be leaving the house for what is being said 18 months till it dies off. But and this is a big ole but there arent sure how long it will take. thats just the last number i heard on local news.

Loved ones aside this is likely a good thing for the world to have less people.
the same thing respritory illness happens in commercial chicken barns and pig barns when they get overpopulated. Im suprised something like this or worse hasnt taken off earlier in major citys.
This sounds like words from a person that hasn’t lost many loved ones. I most likely have more friends in the danger zone. I sounded like you at one time.

Reactions: JayOtheMountains

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

This sounds like words from a person that hasn’t lost many loved ones. I most likely have more friends in the danger zone. I sounded like you at one time.
Ive lost all the old people in my family to old age and many of the younger ones to wrecks. Ive been clinicaly dead twice so i think i know a little something about death.