Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

Ok, before I had an inkling that I was going to turn my rig into an overland vehicle (about a month ago or so) we had bought a Camp Chef, big gas grill. It a rather large 3 burner stove with a grill attachment. I know I can sell it for a loss and get a more compact one... but. I am in a full size pickup and honestly, I think I can use it and still be able to set up a modular Galley around it. However, I'm not sure that I want to. It just feels like overkill.

I am curious to know if any of you use a full size stove such as this, and if so, how is yours set up? I would love to see your galley set up if you'd like to share.

Last edited:

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I've considered larger setups but only on temp basis, rig is as light weight as possible so I was considering something hitch mounted so it was easy to remove. Something like this...

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Ok, before I had an inkling that I was going to turn my rig into an overland vehicle (about a month ago or so) we had bought a Camp Chef, big gas grill. It a rather large 3 burner stove with a grill attachment. I know I can sell it for a loss and get a more compact one... but. I am in a full size pickup and honestly, I think I can use it and still be able to set up a modular Galley around it. However, I'm not sure that I want to. It just feels like overkill.

I am curious to know if any of you use a full size stove such as this, and if so, how is yours set up? I would love to see your galley set up if you'd like to share.
I know this was posted several months ago but if you still have it, keep it. I've got a small 2 burner but also a big Camp Chef Explorer. Sometimes it is fun to find a spot and spend several days kicked back and if with a group, one large kitchen for all can be a real advantage. A big stove then fits the bill.

That may not be your style but if it is or might be, something to consider. Also in an emergency situation like mass power outage, such a stove could prove handy. Years ago we had something like that and between a large camp style stove and gas grills, we became a bit of a life line for a couple of neighbors and being able to do that means a lot after the fact.

And if you like a fish fry, such is perfect without smelling up the house.

Reactions: Jube

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I got a two burner camp chef for ten bucks at a yard sale, use it for canning all the time, thought about it in our littke truck but besides weight and space, we rarely camp with other people. Stuck with my coleman but its all we need.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I use a Coleman Fyrecadet on the trail but we use the Explorer a lot during college football season as our neighborhood loves watching the games and cooking.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

A few years ago my wife got me the Camp Chef 3 burner stove with the intention of using it for camping. It is big, but it is awesome when preparing food for a fairly large group. Since we generally go in a small group, we rarely take it with us, instead using a two burner Coleman stove. However, it does get used every year on this day to fry the turkey.

With a full sized pickup, I’d hold on to it because space isn’t as much a premium for you. It is a great unit and it’s simplicuty makes it very easy to use and maintain.

CFB2C107-FBD0-4BA8-8708-DA961D63293A.jpeg

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Keith, how do you like this Explorer? I'm thinking of going to REI this weekend and getting one and using it with my trailer I'm building.

https://www.rei.com/product/115534/camp-chef-explorer-2-burner-camp-stove
We like it especially if there is a large group. For just general/typical Overlanding trips, it's a waste of space and gas. But if a group is having a community kitchen, a tailgate or something special outside at the house, worth the buy. Got mine on Amazon so unless REI gets you extra beenies, check Amazon or even Cabelas, Bass Pro or Academy Sports to see what their deals are.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I joined REI back in the 70's when they were purely mail order from the small ads in Backpacking and Climbing magazines. Several years back an REI store opened 5 miles from me so I went in. To my utter surprise I was in their membership system still under my old address from 1977 so we updated and there you go. That was pretty cool so some props to REI.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

To my utter surprise I was in their membership system still under my old address from 1977 so we updated and there you go. That was pretty cool so some props to REI.
Did they have your old join date? I too joined in the '70s, but when I asked, they have my join date as 1987. They said probably when the membership info was computerized.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Did they have your old join date? I too joined in the '70s, but when I asked, they have my join date as 1987. They said probably when the membership info was computerized.
No, they had the date too. The girl was playfully needling me about my age and if I did any white water with Noah or mountain climbed with Moses? She then said in about 40 years some 20 something smartass is going to get me back for this.

We all laughed.

SgtMac

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ 85747, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McGuire
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Ret.
We use the Coleman RoadTrip. I hate the size/weight, but with the grill grates, griddle , and the stove top grate. It does everything. I use the hose adapter so I don't have to use 1lb green propane canisters. I have had that thing cargo strapped down in the back the truck over a lot of washboard miles, and not one problem. I have actually purposely been rough with it over the past few years, in hopes it would break. No Luck. I have thought about taking the legs and side tables off to make it more compact. Part of my unpacking is pulling it out, and spraying the whole thing down with Simple Green to de-grease it while I unpack the rest of the truck.

S

SubeeBen

9C633831-531E-4E4C-9164-126E6D2061D5.jpeg I go elk hunting in Colorado every September & a guy I go with has the camp chef 3 burner & it cooks enough food for 6 guys all at once & works great. I am personally building a off road teardrop & just installed my stove/ oven & could easily be used in a vehicle as far as size/weight etc. made by camp chef also.

Reactions: Glenn

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

We like it especially if there is a large group. For just general/typical Overlanding trips, it's a waste of space and gas. But if a group is having a community kitchen, a tailgate or something special outside at the house, worth the buy. Got mine on Amazon so unless REI gets you extra beenies, check Amazon or even Cabelas, Bass Pro or Academy Sports to see what their deals are.
So, last weekend while in Arkansas, I saw the Camp Chef Yukon on sale for $99 (normally 139) and went ahead and got one.
Now I'm going to try to get a carry bag for it or maybe try to find a plastic tote that will fit it to keep it out of the elements while in the little trailer.