Any Tuff Stuff overland trailer owners out there?

• HTML tutorial

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Really helpful thread! Thank for all the input.

So I am trying to make a decision between two trailers, the Tuff Stuff Base Camp or a Turtleback. While I like the layout, storage and galley on the TS, not to mention the price point, but am getting a little fervor’s after reading some of the issues in this thread. The Turtleback is really well built. It’s made by hand here in AZ and the the guys in the shop are great. Price difference is significant. All-in, the TS is about 18K including RTT and Awning. A similar setup on the Turtleback in right around 30K. Just trying to determine what the best path forward is. We don’t do any hardcore over landing so both are a bit overkill. I’m really just wanting something that I can store all my gear in and hook up and go when I need too.

I would also like any feedback on the quality of the Tuff Stuff RTT’s. The one on the trailer is the Elite Overland that comes with the awning. It’s massive. I am leaning toward a 23 Zero Walkabout or iKamper (crazy expensive). There’s not a lot of info out there in the TS tents so I’m just curious. They seem a lot less expensive so I’m afraid the quality isn’t there.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Matt
Don't have much to compare but I had a TS Ranger and I thought quality was very good. I just got the TS ALPHA hardtop and I think I am going to be very pleased. Hardtop is easier for my old ass to deal with and lots of good features.

Reactions: Mwaldrip

Mwaldrip

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Waldrip
Don't have much to compare but I had a TS Ranger and I thought quality was very good. I just got the TS ALPHA hardtop and I think I am going to be very pleased. Hardtop is easier for my old ass to deal with and lots of good features.
Good for you... Did you by chance compare the Alpha to the iKamper? I need to sleep 4 so the big footprint is Nice.
I just sold mine and if I were to do it again I would for sure go Turtleback despite the big price difference. Others may feel differently but I had to replace a lot of hardware, get stuff powder coated etc etc. Originally Tuffstuff said they would pay for all of that and replace bad slides etc. but never really materialized. You are right though, very cool and practical layout. When I sold it, I emptied out all my gear and was amazed at how much stuff it holds!
That’s too bad. I guess you get what you pay for...

Thanks for responding.

Matt

bshinn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

China Grove, NC, USA
Member #

Really helpful thread! Thank for all the input.

So I am trying to make a decision between two trailers, the Tuff Stuff Base Camp or a Turtleback. While I like the layout, storage and galley on the TS, not to mention the price point, but am getting a little fervor’s after reading some of the issues in this thread. The Turtleback is really well built. It’s made by hand here in AZ and the the guys in the shop are great. Price difference is significant. All-in, the TS is about 18K including RTT and Awning. A similar setup on the Turtleback in right around 30K. Just trying to determine what the best path forward is. We don’t do any hardcore over landing so both are a bit overkill. I’m really just wanting something that I can store all my gear in and hook up and go when I need too.

I would also like any feedback on the quality of the Tuff Stuff RTT’s. The one on the trailer is the Elite Overland that comes with the awning. It’s massive. I am leaning toward a 23 Zero Walkabout or iKamper (crazy expensive). There’s not a lot of info out there in the TS tents so I’m just curious. They seem a lot less expensive so I’m afraid the quality isn’t there.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Matt
If you can cover the nut, get the Turtleback, no question. The design of the TS/Crux is cool and the price point (was) nice, but the build quality sucks on mine and I'm by no means alone. If you go for the cheaper option, think of it as an overlanding trailer kit, you will have some work ahead of you before you're satisfied probably.

Fuelfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

If I were to do it over again I would go turtle back instead of TS. Build quality was just not there as previous posts have said. Actually if I were really to do it over I would get a trailer that had an enclose sleeping area with the ability to put a tent on top for family outings. But if I were just going for another trailer turtle back is better all around and being broken in the middle of nowhere makes $10k seem like not that big a deal. Good luck with your decision