Any TJ guys out there?

• HTML tutorial

Caleb.Thomas

Rank 0

Traveler I

Texas
Basically I'm dead set on buying myself a tj, no question about it. I'm planning on buying a fully stock one and wondering how much it would cost. If I could get a good deal I'd get one maybe a little but if accessories but I would rather build it on my own. For a stock one I was hoping to spend no more than around 6 thousand for the jeep itself. Is this reasonable, or am I insane?

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I use a 2005 TJ unlimited (LJ) and thoroughly enjoy it. Your price goals sound reasonable to me, but it’ll depend on where you’re at I suppose. Have a look at my build in the signature if you want.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

You should have no problem finding a good TJ for that price. I have a TJ and an LJ and if your plan is to overland it you might want to consider an LJ for about the same price … maybe a bit more. The extra space comes in handy and if you plan to pull a trailer the LJ with a 3,500 lb. towing capacity is nice compared to 2,000 lb. with a TJ.

If you don't already know of it, here is a TJ specific forum which will give you PLENTY of information on them ... Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum

Happy hunting!

deadspot

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'll just chime in to say I have a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon. And I saw your older post about Jeeps in general. I had a 2007 JK Sport unlimited and traded it in and got a 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon. I had the 2015 for a couple years but with two kids out the door, I decided to sell it and get a TJ. Not knowing much about TJs, I didn't realize there was an LJ (unlimited). I started looking for an LJ rubicon. They are harder to find and cost a lot. I found one with low miles and got it - it wasn't cheap. I do see non-rubicons out there in good shape and a decent price. I love the look and feel of the TJ/LJ and was glad to get a 2 door. All of that said, if I were going on really long trips, needed more space, wanted slightly better gas mileage, etc, I could see the value of a JK/JL. The JK/JL has more creature comforts and is a nicer ride. The 4 door overs a ton more space. Personally, i'd stay way from the earlier years with the 3.8 engine. As i'm sure you've researched, in 2012, came the 3.6 engine. But, sounds like you're going with a TJ. If you do, I'd look for a clean LJ to get the extra space and, as other mentioned, more towing capacity. It feels like 6K won't be enough - but it won't take long to scour the market for ideas. Obviously, it's all about location. And be really careful about the rust (including inside the frames). I'd echo browsing the TJ forum. Look forward to seeing what you find!

Arod1243

Rank 0

Contributor I

I just picked up a 97' TJ with the 2.5L motor. It has a new crate motor in it with 150 miles on it and I got it for 3800. The issue is the frame. I ended up have to cut out some of the joints and weld new ones in, but for the price I was willing to do the work. I have noticed that if you go for the 2.5L rather than the 4.0L you can find much better deals. However, most people are dead set on the 6-cyl due to the horsepower difference.

Reactions: oilwellfixer

Luke VC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jefferson, NY
First Name
Luke
Last Name
VanCleef
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2LVC
I have run a 2000 tj for hardcore off road (pine barrens every weekend when I lived in NJ .) since it was just about new .... lifted locked lots of goodies ..... It is 19 years old and only has 50000 miles ... 46000 off road lol... its been the best jeep I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch ... from a 1948 to a 2016 and most everything in between . 23 jeeps in all ... (yeah its a sickness) My son turned 16 in April and the jeep is now his .getting some rust work done now but will be back on the trail soon .. So I j picked up another ... 2003 tj ... work in progress ... tight for overland unless you pull the backseat but awesome still the same. I bought mine in decent shape last summer for right about your price point... look hard , watch the frames for rust ..imo get the 4.0 stick ... good luck and have fun

Reactions: JeepWave

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

You will love a TJ. I have a 2005 Rubi LJ. It is tight for overlanding, but the extra 10" wheelbase really comes in handy. Out here on the West coast, that letter "L" adds several thousand dollars though.

IMG_20190412_123437.jpg

IMG_20190412_095620.jpg

Reactions: Agustin David

Elblanco chingon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Murray Ky
Member #

You will love a TJ. I have a 2005 Rubi LJ. It is tight for overlanding, but the extra 10" wheelbase really comes in handy. Out here on the West coast, that letter "L" adds several thousand dollars though.

View attachment 97420

View attachment 97421
TJ's are awesome...the last REAL jeep! I own a jk and love it for long trips and looking pretty but I would even consider taking it th places I take my tj...no doubt it would go anywhere my tj would,it would just leave a trail of plastic behind! LOL when looking for a tj look close for frame rust in front of th rear wheel (control arm mounts)and check bolts holding skid plate/trans mount,that's usually where you'll find a problem. If its cheap enough you can get repair pieces from "auto rust technicians" (Google it ) they are 3 sided frame sections with brackets attached. I have used MANY times with excellent results...just be sure to cut out ALL of the rust before installing. I have bought and sold hundreds of tj's in the past so I know them very well...and they are still my favorite! Look for one with a 44 rear or you'll probably regret it. I've ran v8's with Dana 44 rear 30 front and 35's without a problem,but dana 35 rears suck! View attachment 9747020190323_074721.jpeg20181211_125149.jpeg

Reactions: Brewbud