Any thoughts on the Bilstein 5100 Shocks or Icon stage 1?

• HTML tutorial

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
I dont have a Toyota. But I do have Bilstien 5100's on my 2014 GMC Sierra z71. I took off the old Ranchos and put the Bilsteins on top bracket. What a difference!

Unfortunately I've only had them on a few months. But in those few months I've done quite a bit of driving, including driving the Mt. Washington Auto Road in New Hampshire.

My experience so far has been very positive. I got a two inch front level and a hell of a lot better control over city pockmarked, potholes streets as well as winding, dirt mountain roads.

As I understand it, if you want o do something like rock crawl, these mat not be for you. But mountain passes, dirt roads, fire and service roads and mild offroad, the Bilstein 5100's should do you just fine.
I am truly convinced , thanks ThundahBeagle - Great Feedback!!!

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

I am truly convinced , thanks ThundahBeagle - Great Feedback!!!
Ive ran 5100's on my 99 land cruiser for years. last change was 5 years ago.. I think. owned it since 99, three sets of shocks. (factory changed at 20k to 5100's, then 125k / 5100) 187,000 total miles. OME suspension .. 2.5 lift. 25 inch tires (toyo) mud set and all terrain set. mud on tundra wheels. at's on the factory. using spacers on both.

its my hunting truck now.

Reactions: Huggy Bear

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
Ive ran 5100's on my 99 land cruiser for years. last change was 5 years ago.. I think. owned it since 99, three sets of shocks. (factory changed at 20k to 5100's, then 125k / 5100) 187,000 total miles. OME suspension .. 2.5 lift. 25 inch tires (toyo) mud set and all terrain set. mud on tundra wheels. at's on the factory. using spacers on both.

its my hunting truck now.
Thanks Roach, These 5100 looks like they way to go.
Are they stiff enough for you?

Can these 5100's be serviced like the Icons or Kings?

Reactions: The Roach ...

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

you can rebuild the 5160's but not the 5100's, Bilstein has a rebuild service but the cost makes replacement make more sense.. 5160's are remote res. and you can rebuild them.

if you've never rebuilt a shock.. its not all that hard.. but not all that fun either.

Thanks Roach, These 5100 looks like they way to go.
Are they stiff enough for you?

Can these 5100's be serviced like the Icons or Kings?

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I did the bilstein 6112 fronts, 5100 rears on our 4Runner. It’s been on there about 25,000 miles and so far so good. Ride is firmer than stock, but not rough. It got rid of the factory body roll/nose dive while braking. I also increased spring rates to compensate for bumper and such. Put 700lb springs up front and wheelers t-13 in rear.

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
I did the bilstein 6112 fronts, 5100 rears on our 4Runner. It’s been on there about 25,000 miles and so far so good. Ride is firmer than stock, but not rough. It got rid of the factory body roll/nose dive while braking. I also increased spring rates to compensate for bumper and such. Put 700lb springs up front and wheelers t-13 in rear.
Ryan,
Are you rolling 285's?

I am considering some form of Hybrid / off road tire . . .
I will spend 80% of the time on the highway, and then 20% off road... Nothing fancy like rock crawling. . .
Just want them quite on the pavement.

Any suggestions?

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I
Ryan,
Are you rolling 285's?

I will spend 80% of the time on the highway, and then 20% off road... Nothing fancy like rock crawling. . .

Any suggestions?
i am on 285/70/17 falken m/t‘s on stock trd rims. They clear by 1/4” on the sway bar/control arm. But they clear.

Mine are not quiet... but they’ve gotten me everywhere so far. Lol

Last edited:

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Ryan,
Are you rolling 285's?

Any suggestions?
Im running too open country at3's. great tire. did pretty well in the mud and in my opinion better that the mud tire for everything else except the kind of mud you look at and wonder how far you go before you HAVE to winch. I am running at3's on my f250 overlanding / towing truck. Toyo just seems to always perform. now the at2.s. they aren't worth anything off road.. lol. but wear like iron.

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
Im running too open country at3's. great tire. did pretty well in the mud and in my opinion better that the mud tire for everything else except the kind of mud you look at and wonder how far you go before you HAVE to winch. I am running at3's on my f250 overlanding / towing truck. Toyo just seems to always perform. now the at2.s. they aren't worth anything off road.. lol. but wear like iron.
Roach, Are they quite?

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
You know Ryan, my stock are well thought of such that they are quite and easy on the gas mileages and such.

How much did your Gas mileage do after you when to the 33 inch tires (285) ?
Are they very loud on the highway ?

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

You know Ryan, my stock are well thought of such that they are quite and easy on the gas mileages and such.

How much did your Gas mileage do after you when to the 33 inch tires (285) ?
Are they very loud on the highway ?
Mine now downshifts to 4th on nearly any hill on the highway, trans temp runs higher than it used too. I added a cooler. Tires are heavy, and the 4R feels it. I am looking at regearing differentials at some point to be honest. Gas mileage took a hit. I don’t really figure mine, as it’s our weekend car. But it did drop some no doubt. I’ll try to look and see what the dash says in a bit

As far as how loud they are. You can definitely hear mine. You can talk over them. But they aren’t quiet by any means.

imho if you’re happy with your stock tires, Stick with an all terrain and look at the tire spec sheets to see which ones are lighter. A heavy tire is harder to turn, mind you they are typically stronger too. But lighter may not affect gas mileage as much.

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
OMG, this is something that I will need to take a hard look at.

I am doing Great mileages off the dealers lot still.
Hybrid tires are probably the only way for me.

I had a Jeep Commander and it was a beast (V8), on a good day, I was happy with 14 MPG.

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Eagle Mountain, Utah, United States
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

I've had 5100s on my Tacoma for almost 3 years now and 75,000 miles on them. They have been great and no issues so far, I definitely am really hard on them. The stiffness went away a little after about 10K miles. My next purchase will be OME or 6112s

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

It’s all a matter of what works for you. But, if mileage is a big concern, you may take a good look at just upgrading tires alone. The more that you modify, the worse it gets. Then if you pull a trailer ever, it tanks it. I got single digits pulling our camper to New Mexico a year or two ago.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

I have a 99 land cruiser and a 2018 ford f250 diesel. every asks why did I overland the ford? When evaluating the 'rig' mileage and payload are considerations. I didn't want to 'upgrade' to the 200 series land cruiser, and at 10 mpg the 99 on mud tires wasn't viable for anything really cross country related. Im in Dallas so any thing is going to be a 3 hour drive minimum.

so the diesel became an obvious buy. then payload. well, bang for the buck.. you can't beat a 3/4 one truck. people marvel about places I put the truck but really if you measure vehicles these days the width is fairly close. you just have be a bit more careful in certain spots.

but on at3's (35 inch) with a tune, and a small lift. carrying 1500lbs of gear .. we get 18 to 19 on the highway. and on trail the range is huge. next step is larger fuel tanks. and the rtt rack is coming along well (want to open my cover with the tent mounted)

So when people ask .. I say consider full size diesel. you gain more than you lose...

OMG, this is something that I will need to take a hard look at.

I am doing Great mileages off the dealers lot still.
Hybrid tires are probably the only way for me.

I had a Jeep Commander and it was a beast (V8), on a good day, I was happy with 14 MPG.

Reactions: ryanorr280

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
I have a 99 land cruiser and a 2018 ford f250 diesel. every asks why did I overland the ford? When evaluating the 'rig' mileage and payload are considerations. I didn't want to 'upgrade' to the 200 series land cruiser, and at 10 mpg the 99 on mud tires wasn't viable for anything really cross country related. Im in Dallas so any thing is going to be a 3 hour drive minimum.

so the diesel became an obvious buy. then payload. well, bang for the buck.. you can't beat a 3/4 one truck. people marvel about places I put the truck but really if you measure vehicles these days the width is fairly close. you just have be a bit more careful in certain spots.

but on at3's (35 inch) with a tune, and a small lift. carrying 1500lbs of gear .. we get 18 to 19 on the highway. and on trail the range is huge. next step is larger fuel tanks. and the rtt rack is coming along well (want to open my cover with the tent mounted)

So when people ask .. I say consider full size diesel. you gain more than you lose...
The Sweet SPOT!

Reactions: The Roach ...