Any Interest in a Photo how to?

• HTML tutorial

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

Looking to see if anyone is interested in learning photography tips and tricks from an overlander /adventurer's perspective. Its one of the few skills I have, and I'm willing to share it with you. I can do a complete write up, or I can do a Q&A post. I do stills and video. I'm also an avid kayaker and multi sport cyclist. I have done multi state self supported bike and paddle trips so I can also help with advice for those special requirements.

Dave.

Reactions: Michael and Steve

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I think "how to" write ups is a great idea on subjects such as photography, video, etc. Including some of the editing techniques. I'm hoping to get a kayak or paddle board this summer. Not sure which one I want. I've done both, but not very much.

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

I've done both, but not very much.
Get both, they don't overlap. The real question is what kind of kayaking do you want to do, Depending on the answer to that question, the paddle may be more important than the boat. If you are not going to use the paddle board in the ocean, its not that big of a deal.

Bob

Rank III

Advocate II

A write up of photo hints or tips would help me, I could sure use any that you care to share.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I'm game for the photography how to... I do shoot color but, I'm in a black & white phase right now. Using Illford Delta Professional 100 & 400 and been playing around with Lomography Earl Grey 100. So yeah, I'd love tips and advice and such....

I shoot with...
1971 Miranda Sensorex C...21mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm 1:1.4-1:1.9, 55mm-135mm,
90mm-230mm, 1000mm

1967 Miranda G...(great camera for astronomy as it has a manual locking mirror and
adapter for micro/tele scopes and interchangeable focusing
screens)...50mm 1:1.4-1:1.9, 105mm, 135mm, 200mm, and a
3x teleconverter.

1980's? Sears KS Super II SR2000 (Ricoh XR6) (my backpacking camera)...50mm,
135mm Tele/Macro, 28mm-70mm Macro/Zoom, 80mm-210mm
Macro/Zoom, 500mm.

Go Pro 3...with accessories.

2007 Fuji XP 20...fixed lens pocket camera, 16 mp, 64gb, waterproof to 10 feet, shock/
drop, freeze proof...lol perfect for my lifestyle.

***Note****...my Miranda's have some great accessories as well...to include...
extension tubes, portable bellows, interchangeable prisms, etc.

Reactions: Steve

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Get both, they don't overlap. The real question is what kind of kayaking do you want to do, Depending on the answer to that question, the paddle may be more important than the boat. If you are not going to use the paddle board in the ocean, its not that big of a deal.
Ahh see, I didn't know there was a different in paddles. Probably rivers and lakes. Not many oceans around Iowa, lol. Maybe we should start a thread on watercraft activities and types.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Pazuzu1991 Sounds great! I know the mechanics, and framing. It is always the lighting that kills me. (Lots of examples in my western trip last fall.) Go ahead and do a write up, and we can move it to the Overland Boot Camp article contribution forum. Then Michael can review it and put it in the "OB Approved" folder.

@Laughing Otter Now you're talking my language. In addition to the Nikon D750 and a passel of lenses, I have several film cameras. I Still have a Brownie Bullet like I got for my eight birthday in 1961. My favorites are a 1953 Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35 folder that still works great, and a Yashica Mat-124G 120 roll film camera that makes just beautiful images. I don't use them much any more, as our only local lab closed down. I've got a great Nikon F4 body that just sits around, too.

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

@Pazuzu1991 Sounds great! I know the mechanics, and framing. It is always the lighting that kills me. (Lots of examples in my western trip last fall.) Go ahead and do a write up, and we can move it to the Overland Boot Camp article contribution forum. Then Michael can review it and put it in the "OB Approved" folder.

@Laughing Otter Now you're talking my language. In addition to the Nikon D750 and a passel of lenses, I have several film cameras. I Still have a Brownie Bullet like I got for my eight birthday in 1961. My favorites are a 1953 Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35 folder that still works great, and a Yashica Mat-124G 120 roll film camera that makes just beautiful images. I don't use them much any more, as our only local lab closed down. I've got a great Nikon F4 body that just sits around, too.
Nice! Yeah, I've got an Argus C44, a Kodak Pony 828, a Ricoh one five nine, Miranda Sensoret range finder that is similar to the Canon Canonette QL, and the very iconic Polaroid SX-70...all functional but don't use them much.

The Ziess Ikon is on my wish list as is a Hasselbad 500...but these are $$$$$$$$$$$, maybe one day *Sigh* and if I hit the lotto, maybe a few vintage Leica's.

I have recently started dabbling in 8mm and super 8. I have a NOS in box Rondo Traveler 8T 8mm wind up movie camera and a Nikon Zoom 8x super 8 w/ the 7.5mm-60mm zoom lens. I hear Kodak is bringing super 8 back.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I would love to see a write up with some tips and also pitfalls mixed in. Always good to see the common mistakes explained so we know why they are mistakes.

Reactions: deeker

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Looking to see if anyone is interested in learning photography tips and tricks from an overlander /adventurer's perspective. Its one of the few skills I have, and I'm willing to share it with you. I can do a complete write up, or I can do a Q&A post. I do stills and video. I'm also an avid kayaker and multi sport cyclist. I have done multi state self supported bike and paddle trips so I can also help with advice for those special requirements.

Dave.
That would be GREAT!

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

OK, I'm headed out to capture the images I need for the first part of the tutorial. I'm going to focus (no pun intended) on the basics of composition techniques and tricks for making epic photos. I will then build on that, adding sections on lighting and diving deep into techniques and styles as I build on the photo how to. My main concern is composition and visual approaches, overlanding introduces an interesting element of adventurous storytelling into the composition of the photo. sometimes we capture this by accident, sometimes we try to hard to capture it. I will try and explain how to do it on demand.

I wont critique photos lols, that's answering the question, do these jeans make me look fat? nothing good will come of it hahaha.

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

OK part one is done. Let me know if you guys want me to keep building on it. I can get really technical but I'm trying to keep it simple. FYI to the old guys, I also shoot film, I have a couple of old Nikos, an F100 and an F2. I like old Kodak film, as in expired old film. I use it to shoot magazine or album covers for darker subjects lol. But if I'm shooting film I prefer the o'l medium format Pentax. If I'm shooting weddings I use the Pentax for some of the shots. My Fav cameras are the D810 or the D610, I also like Canons for some stuff. For video I use Sony FDR x100 4K cams and GoPro's . I edit with a full adobe creative suite. I want a Fuji x100T but cant justify it.

Last edited:

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

OK part one is done. Let me know if you guys want me to keep building on it. I can get really technical but I'm trying to keep it simple. FYI to the old guys, I also shoot film, I have a couple of old Nikos, an F100 and an F2. I like old Kodak film, as in expired old film. I use it to shoot magazine or album covers for darker subjects lol. But if I'm shooting film I prefer the o'l medium format Pentax. If I'm shooting weddings I use the Pentax for some of the shots. My Fav cameras are the D810 or the D610, I also like Canons for some stuff. For video I use Sony FDR x100 4K cams and GoPro's . I edit with a full adobe creative suite. I want a Fuji x100T but cant justify it.
Old Guy's?????????!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm 46...not 70...LOL!!!!

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

Old Guy's?????????!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm 46...not 70...LOL!!!!
The bigger question is how old do you really feel?! Ha hahahahaha I'm 42 by the way. And feel like I'm 18 most of the time, except in the morning when I'm getting out of bed, or when I try and hop on to something and it seems to move further away from me mid leap.

Last edited:

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

The bigger question is how old do you really feel?! Ha hahahahaha I'm 42 by the way. And feel like I'm 18 most of the time, except in the morning when I'm getting out of bed, or when I try and hop on to something and it seems to move further away from me mid leap.
Same here...lol...

Hank_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson Michigan
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Heise
Member #

Fantastic job on the first installment. A lot of great information. It is helping me to see why I hate some of my pictures and love some others. This will be very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Hank