Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Anyone else here like to hunt? What and where do you hunt?

I'm currently in TX so I hunt the hill country a lot. I'm a freezer filler, never cared much about trophies, just want to feed my family with the highest quality free range, grass fed, organic meat I can. Typically hunt dove, white tail, hogs and turkey.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Had my first season hunting in Manitoba, just shot my first muzzle-loader buck. Not really any hills here sadly. Also enjoy hunting wild turkey, and grouse. Looking at maybe trying for an elk draw this year.

Also have hunted Hardwood forests in Ontario, and most of Northern BC where I grew up.

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

Just started hunting a couple years ago, mostly whitetail up in Northern Alberta.

I plan to start rabbit hunting in March, as in my mind there's nothing like a nice rabbit stew to warm you up.

What caliber does everyone shoot? I run 7mm-08 Remington.

Reactions: Butler419

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'm shooting a Weatherby in the .270 win flavor. I love it. It's a very versatile gun which is great for the diverse hunting types here in TX.

Reactions: Jube

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I used to, when I lived on my grandfather's farm. Now living in the far exurbs of Cleveland, opportunities are limited. Most rural land is leased to hunting clubs. Mostly, I just pop a whistle pigs from the back porch. But that might even be problematic now, as they built a middle school across the road from me. I need to move...

C.L.Gravy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Krum, Tx
Member #

I'm in north Texas. Grew up hunting around Brady, though. I've been hunting up here near the Red River the last few years and it's totally different than down south. Not many deer and you see them for about 2 weeks out of the season. Haven't shot anything in quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Nice to see this post! I definitely like to hunt. When you move to MA, you will want to meet brother, he's also a very avid hunter and does part time taxidermy, though like you, he's very ethical and a freezer filler - not a trophy collector. MA is quite a bit different than TX as far as hunting. ;-)

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Nice to see this post! I definitely like to hunt. When you move to MA, you will want to meet brother, he's also a very avid hunter and does part time taxidermy, though like you, he's very ethical and a freezer filler - not a trophy collector. MA is quite a bit different than TX as far as hunting. ;-)
Between you and me, I grew up for about 20 years in southern NH so I have a leg up on the northern hunting from my fellow texans. ;)

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Between you and me, I grew up for about 20 years in southern NH so I have a leg up on the northern hunting from my fellow texans. ;)
Oh yes! I think you had mentioned that in another post... My apologies, you have a leg up on me for sure!!! I bet you are looking forward to being back in New England!

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Oh yes! I think you had mentioned that in another post... My apologies, you have a leg up on me for sure!!! I bet you are looking forward to being back in New England!
That doesn't mean I don't want to link up with you guys for a hunt. I haven't hunted up there in 10 years. I'm sure you have some tricks I have either forgotten or never knew. Texas is a very different piece of terrain with loads of long range shots on game. New England can be quite dense so any tips or tricks are always greatly appreciated. I will never be above learning. If you aren't learning, you aren't getting better.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

That doesn't mean I don't want to link up with you guys for a hunt. I haven't hunted up there in 10 years. I'm sure you have some tricks I have either forgotten or never knew. Texas is a very different piece of terrain with loads of long range shots on game. New England can be quite dense so any tips or tricks are always greatly appreciated. I will never be above learning. If you aren't learning, you aren't getting better.
Well said, my friend. I am so far from the expert and just really started in MA. My brother is quite an inspiration and I hope to really learn and fine tune my skills over the next year. Hope to meet up with you sometime when you relocate. Learning is all part of the process!