Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

hmm, maybe I need to develop a list of places I want to see and do route planning for myself then. It will be interesting going solo if no-one else is heading up early. I can leave as early as Monday and I wouldn't mind delaying a little if that means I can meet up with someone else. I suck at planning trail routes but now that the DNR has published GPS tracks for the ORV routes maybe I can figure something out.
This is what I had started doing until the monkey wrench went into my plans.

Not sure where you're starting from, so that will potentially affect your route, but what I did was download all of the ORV routes from the DNR website (Side note: if you use the Chrome browser the "Batch Link Download" extension makes this MUCH easier. Other browsers have similar extensions). Once I had them all sorted out, I uploaded them all into a new map called ORV Routes in "Your Places" on Google Maps. You can't really edit or manipulate the tracks in Google Maps, but this will allow you to pick points and let Maps automatically route you from point to point for any road-sections of your trip.

If you want to get more detailed, you'll have to use a combination of Google Earth, Google Maps, or other mapping software. I've been using Earth (the desktop Pro version, not the useless cloud-based garbage) and maps to create tracks, then export them to KML and import them into Back Country Navigator on my tablet for use in the field. It's cumbersome, but it works, and is mostly free since I bought BCN Pro with a credit.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
This is what I had started doing until the monkey wrench went into my plans.

Not sure where you're starting from, so that will potentially affect your route, but what I did was download all of the ORV routes from the DNR website (Side note: if you use the Chrome browser the "Batch Link Download" extension makes this MUCH easier. Other browsers have similar extensions). Once I had them all sorted out, I uploaded them all into a new map called ORV Routes in "Your Places" on Google Maps. You can't really edit or manipulate the tracks in Google Maps, but this will allow you to pick points and let Maps automatically route you from point to point for any road-sections of your trip.

If you want to get more detailed, you'll have to use a combination of Google Earth, Google Maps, or other mapping software. I've been using Earth (the desktop Pro version, not the useless cloud-based garbage) and maps to create tracks, then export them to KML and import them into Back Country Navigator on my tablet for use in the field. It's cumbersome, but it works, and is mostly free since I bought BCN Pro with a credit.
This is good advice! I also have BCN Pro so thank you for that!

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing but I'm headed out today to meet up with some coworkers who are by traverse city to fish and then I will head up to KOAR.

Reactions: Tinker and GatorDoc

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
So I let the locals scare me out of staying in the woods my first night in the UP. It was day 2 of bear season and I was told that there were a lot of bear this year, and that I probably don't want to accidentally set up camp where a hunter had planned to be. So I ended up at Indian lake park. Had a great site next to the lake.20180911_205340.jpeg

Reactions: Tinker
D

Deleted randall08

Ryan ... Randall here in the hilltop tent red F150 ... Overland flag on the tent. what is you call ? I am
K8UFM

D

Deleted randall08

Any one from OB going out for a trail ride tomorrow morning 10:15am?

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Ryan ... Randall here in the hilltop tent red F150 ... Overland flag on the tent. what is you call ? I am
K8UFM
I'm K1RAC, I have a portable HF setup but I'm not very good with it yet. I was thinking about doing the trail ride, not sure if I want to pack my RTT up in the morning though.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

In case anyone is interested we added a forums feature on the website. If you were a part of the community experiment you should already be able to log in and use it. If not, and you'd like to use it, you'll have to register with the site in order to have access to it. Any questions, point 'em my way.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Been a little bit since I've been on. Things have been busy to say the least. In good way though. Working on tons of ideas for the future of Michigan Overland,some of which we will hopefully be able to implement next year (training, adventure routes, podcast, etc.).

How was everyone's experience at the KOAR event?

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Been a little bit since I've been on. Things have been busy to say the least. In good way though. Working on tons of ideas for the future of Michigan Overland,some of which we will hopefully be able to implement next year (training, adventure routes, podcast, etc.).

How was everyone's experience at the KOAR event?
Been kinda all over the place lately too, but I did find a little bit on the event. This short video has some pretty cool shots & from the look of it they had beautiful weather for it!

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Been kinda all over the place lately too, but I did find a little bit on the event. This short video has some pretty cool shots & from the look of it they had beautiful weather for it!

I've seen this [emoji869]. The Pioneer guys do awesome work on their videos.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I had a pretty good time. It was in the high 80s and humid though, a bit unseasonable. I did find a different video.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I had a pretty good time. It was in the high 80s and humid though, a bit unseasonable. I did find a different video.
It was pretty warm that weekend. I forget which video I watched, but I'm pretty sure I saw your truck in it. Did you put a topper on the bed? If I find it again, I'll post it up here.