Explorer I

Lansing, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Heusinkveld
Member #

Hi all,
Been looking at the National Forest maps and was wondering if there is anything in the lower half (of the lower peninsula) in Michigan as far as dispersed camping goes? Maybe State Land? I can't seem to find much and not asking for specific or secret camping spots, just general ideas - thanks!
Dispersed camping in state forests is allowed as long as you are at least a mile from a state campground and aren't in a hunting area, park, or a few other restrictions.

This link has the state forest campground locations.

National forests also allow dispersed camping with some restrictions. Details in the link below.

-Ryan
Thank you Ryan

Reactions: RyanC and JoshDante

Fleamac

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lowell, Michigan
First Name
Gus
Last Name
M
Member #

Hi all,
Been looking at the National Forest maps and was wondering if there is anything in the lower half (of the lower peninsula) in Michigan as far as dispersed camping goes? Maybe State Land? I can't seem to find much and not asking for specific or secret camping spots, just general ideas - thanks!
Look around the Cadillac area. Lots of trails from easy to hard. Plenty of dispersed camping, a few state camps, and state land to camp in. Seen a few bears in Caddy area so be mindful, lots of wildlife.

Reactions: JeeperJim