Any families in the Oakland, CA area with little kids?

• HTML tutorial

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

Hi friends,

My four year old boy and I are looking for some good folks to share some memorable times in nature with, and it would be great to get together with families with other little kids.

I prefer dirt, fresh air, quiet and solitude over campgrounds and busy resort type places. If I had my way, I’d be living like Dick Proenneke (in case you haven't heard of him - check him out in the video) or pack stocking Kings Canyon as a lifestyle.

Reactions: Francis84

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I have 2 small ones left... my youngest daughter is 3 and my youngest son is 6. I also have a 12 and 18 year old.. all of them have started camping with us at around 3 years old or younger. I also prefer secluded sites but my wife on the other hand prefers actual camp sites with flushing toilets haha...

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
3, 6, and 9 for my little ladies, I can get them in the back yard, and at camp grounds, but moms not keen on being to far from flushing potties... yet... Yet any time spent with our children as a family is great time, its even better however out doors and away from electronics.

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
We have a 4 year old and a newborn. At the time its day trips for us. Our latest was to 600-1 in the Talladega National Forest. We prefer either the beach (wife) and being in the outdoors ( a good trail for the F150), anything that gets us away from the hustle of life and closer together.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Rujack

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

Lol, title edited. I’m in California with the fruits and nuts! You guys are probably too far for a kid play date!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Hi Rujack,

I live in Orinda, just through the tunnel from you and have an almost 3 year old. My wife and I lived in Oakland in the Hiller Highlands area for several years and still visit Oakland often for food and beer.

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I’m in Oakland......will have my first born in a month. I guess the kids will be too far apart in age by then

john casson

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Danville CA
Member #

Hi friends,

My four year old boy and I are looking for some good folks to share some memorable times in nature with, and it would be great to get together with families with other little kids.

I prefer dirt, fresh air, quiet and solitude over campgrounds and busy resort type places. If I had my way, I’d be living like Dick Proenneke (in case you haven't heard of him - check him out in the video) or pack stocking Kings Canyon as a lifestyle.

I'm in the east bay three boys 20, 12 and 9. Started them camping since 3 months old. Just got back from 4th July trip. A lot of great places to see in Calif.IMG_20180708_163630_125.jpegIMG_20180705_191931_170.jpeg20180701_145654.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

Costa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Costa
Last Name
Etlender
Member #

Hi, I'm not from Oakland but from Mountain House, CA
My son is 4 and daughter is 3, so far we have been camping in campgrounds but I would love to camp off-grid.

Reactions: Rujack

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

Hi Rujack,

I live in Orinda, just through the tunnel from you and have an almost 3 year old. My wife and I lived in Oakland in the Hiller Highlands area for several years and still visit Oakland often for food and beer.
Hey Slomatt,

Nice. Where do you guys like to get away to?

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Hey Slomatt,

Nice. Where do you guys like to get away to?

Most of our trips are in the Sierras anywhere from Yosemite up to North of Tahoe. We have also taken longer trips around the western US... Oregon, Utah, Colorado, etc. Earlier this year we went on a "waterfalls" trip up near Mt Shasta.

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

Most of our trips are in the Sierras anywhere from Yosemite up to North of Tahoe. We have also taken longer trips around the western US... Oregon, Utah, Colorado, etc. Earlier this year we went on a "waterfalls" trip up near Mt Shasta.
Yeah, the western US is the better part of the states for scenery and nature.

The Shasta trip sounds awesome. Waterfalls in quotes- did you find any? Any fun trails?

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

Corral hollow trail , and slick rock.camped on Untica reservoir. Planning Lost Coast trail first weekend of August. View attachment 61193View attachment 61194View attachment 61196

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app
That’s cool. Were there many people up there? Where are you planning the LC trip? I’ve been down usal road but that’s all I know. Drove out on the sand a ways. Decent camp spots but not far enough out for me.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Yeah, the western US is the better part of the states for scenery and nature.

The Shasta trip sounds awesome. Waterfalls in quotes- did you find any? Any fun trails?

Sorry for the confusion, I put waterfalls in quotes because that wasn't really the focus of the trip but we ended up exploring 5 different falls.

- Hedge Creek falls in Dunsmuir
- Lower, middle, and upper McCloud Falls
- McArthur-Burney Falls

SuperSeven

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Highlands Ranch, Douglas County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Preece
Member #

We're in Moraga, just over the hill from Oakland. 5 boys: 13, 11, 9, 6 & 5! We do a mixture of off-grid, campgrounds and KOA depending on how many of us there are and how long we've been out. Mainly in and around the Sierras: Lake Alpine/Utica Reservoir, Mammoth Lakes, Alabama Hills, Lake Isabella plus Shaver Lake/Mojave with OverlandBound.