Antherzoll's 2005 Volvo XC70 Vehicle/Trip Thread

• HTML tutorial

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
"Adventure Protection"

Got under the XC today to check out a few things. Had a rattle that was coming from a loose brake line, retrieved a 13mm I lost months ago, and noticed a bit of oil collecting on the skid plate that looks like it's the turbo oil drain leaking...again [emoji1], just going to ignore that for now. Also noticed that the engine and transmission has been making some contact with the skid plate.

There's no contact when it's on the ground, must be from hard use such as puddle jumping. Just bent down the tabs a bit and reinstalled the plate.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Yay!
More Volvo's, have had 5 myself ('85 and '91 240 GL, '86 740 GL, 88' 760 GL with the crappy 2.8 v6 and '95 460)

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Has it been that long? [emoji16]

Well, officially kicked off camping season last weekend with the family at Long Point Provincial Park on Lake Erie. We really enjoy going to Long Point the weekend before the 2-4 as it's not busy and it's a great place for bird watching.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Reactions: dolli310 and Steve

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Small, but worthwhile upgrade to the AWD. Volvo uses a Haldex Coupling that is electronically controlled by a DEM (Differential Electronic Module). There are quite a few versions of the coupling, but for the 2003 to 2005 Haldex Generation 2 is installed in the XC70. Haldex Generation 3 labeled 'instant traction' from Volvo came out on other models, primarily the XC90. I won't go much further into it but I'll provide a link below on how this upgrade works.

I purchased and installed a DEM, sensor, and valve from a 08 XC90 V8 to install on my 05 XC70 with the Gen 2 haldex to gain instant traction and the XC90 V8 AWD torque split of the Gen 3 Haldex.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=558890&share_tid=558890&share_fid=17438&share_type=t

XC90 DEM Module and components

The swap is super easy, if you're quick enough you will lose minimal oil and will not need the top it up.

While at Long Point I got the test it out on some sand and I have to say that I'm quite happy with its function. The vehicle does feel more like an all-wheel-drive and less like a front-wheel drive. It feels more predictable and the rear end wants to come out [emoji16]. Some slow-mo videos posted below.

Launch at 2.5k rpm.

Pulling The Trailer out.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Had some time today to install the XC70 Lift Springs, the install went quite smoothly without any surprises. Took me 5h including a lunch break along with my 4yo helping fetch parts and 'inspecting' the install [emoji23]. Quite happy with everything so far. Only drove it up to 40mph and it feels ok, definitely more roll but nothing too crazy. Was worried about the rear camber being neutral or positive, but even with the lift there's still a slight negative camber which I'm happy with. There's a bit more rubbing up front now when turning full lock, will look into that more later.

...of course the first adventure was to the grocery store [emoji23]. It's only a Volvo. [emoji8]

I expect it to settle a bit over the next few days/weeks. Not running out to get an alignment right away as it feels ok. The springs are also quite a bit stiffer which should help when loading down, had a fun time compressing then. The original springs are 14.5mm, the lift springs are 15mm. Not a large difference.

Reactions: dolli310

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Alright, so took it on it's first real trip today, Canoe, Kayak, BBQ, 3 adults, 2 kids, dog, and gear. Gotta say I'm quite happy with the lift springs. Sure there is a bit more body roll when unloaded, but they handle being loaded down much better. With the roof loads and pack the vehicle doesn't squat as much, actually feel better on road, and will handle drop offs and bumps with less rebound. Although I've been on the fence for years as I felt the stock suspension was enough, so far I'm very happy to have these on my XC. It actually makes the vehicle look more stock as the XC90 wheels and tires no longer stuff the wheel wells.... Maybe time for bigger tires? [emoji23]

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Weekend adventures in the Haliburton Highlands...

Bent and banged up the the exhaust pipe on a river crossing [emoji22]

Not too bothered by it. Will get a pipe expander to get it back to round.

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Pinery Provincial Park!

Towing in a headwind [emoji33]

Tire rubbing on the sway bar at full lock. Passenger's side CV is throwing some grease, but the joint feels ok... I have a spare Volvo axle I may swap in.

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
2018 East Coast Road Trip

Only a short one this year, 10days and 2800mi. Went out to visit family and stay in a few park along the way.

Trailer loaded up, tank topped, kids fed we took off Saturday morning at 5am for Parc provincial Les Jardins de la République in New Brunswick. A 10h30m travel day that ended up being 14+ [emoji51].

A nice park right off the highway perfect for a quick stop over.

Packed up the next morning the it was off the The Bay Of Fundy National Park, Chignecto Campground. The XC had a fun time on some the the hill climbs, but I wasn't the only Volvo on the road.

Chignecto Campground is a very nice well serviced campground with great access to a lot of areas. We didn't have much time to explore on our way through, but we did check out Hopewell Rocks on our way to our next site at Five Island Provincial Park.

Our destination, Caledonia close to Kejimkujik National Park to visit family. Spent a few days camped out on their property while we day tripped.

A quick stop over in Halifax, then begins our return trip home. Ended up staying in an inn in Amherst for a night to make time so we could make it to New River Beach Provincial Park. Pretty much spent the whole day with the kids collecting beach combing. The low tide beach was amazing.

The last leg of our trip took us up Nackawic, NB on our way to Lac-Témiscouata National Park, Grand-Lac-Touladi Campground in Quebec. Nackawic's 'claim to fame' ladies and gentlemen is 'The World's Largest Axe'

...and Big Axe Brewing. Picked up a few along with some local brews that I'm enjoy as I write this [emoji16]

Lac-Témiscouata National Park is our first time staying in any park in Quebec, and I must say the campground, facilities, park roads and sites are very well set up. Lots for the kids to do and Grand-Lac-Touladi is great for them to swim and wade in. 10/10 would go there again.

So from here we headed home, again another 10h30m travel day turned into quite the adventure when at hour 14 the XC broke down in Toronto.

So the throttle body caused the engine to just die. I had a spare at home which I swapped out today and all is well. Opened up the and there's water and corrosion on the contact. Thankfully this happens close to home and not in the bush, but I suppose that the unit could have been cleaned and dried to get it working again in a pinch.

All in all it was a nice trip, a bit short, but still great to be out there.

Trip totaled:
2821mi +tow [emoji28]
15mpg
711L 188g fuel

Cheers! [emoji482]

Reactions: dolli310 and Joey83