Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Well, I lost my '15 OB in a wreck so now I'm building up a '18. I'm planning to take everything I learned so far and just do it all at the same time.

I'm curious, would you just straight up do the King Springs with 2" spacer lift if you were to do it again? My last build has rallitek overloads in the back and Kings in the front.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app
I probably would go with the Rallly Tech springs next time also. Kings are still a bit stiff unless I am really fully loaded.

morty muerte

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Well, I lost my '15 OB in a wreck so now I'm building up a '18. I'm planning to take everything I learned so far and just do it all at the same time.

I'm curious, would you just straight up do the King Springs with 2" spacer lift if you were to do it again? My last build has rallitek overloads in the back and Kings in the front.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app
My 2017 OB has a 2" ADF lift plus standard height King Springs. I have never tried Rallitek, but i will say i love my King Springs to death. Not only has it been a massive improvement off road, but it handles much better on road compared to stock. My vehicle is often empty for on road and when i take an off road trip it is typically loaded up with gear. No issues in either scenario and zero rear sag. Plus a bonus yellow accents in the wheel wells which look great!

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

My 2017 OB has a 2" ADF lift plus standard height King Springs. I have never tried Rallitek, but i will say i love my King Springs to death. Not only has it been a massive improvement off road, but it handles much better on road compared to stock. My vehicle is often empty for on road and when i take an off road trip it is typically loaded up with gear. No issues in either scenario and zero rear sag. Plus a bonus yellow accents in the wheel wells which look great!
Agreed. The improvement in the load shift while braking is worth it alone. I'm all lined up for a total 3" lift (2" spacers plus 1" rallitek springs) for my new 2018 OB. It's all going on next week and I'll report on how it goes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
OH yes I love the King Springs and have had a wonderful experience with them. Although I have noticed a little over dampening if I go over bumps a little hard, backend tends to jump back up. I hate those unexpected obstacles off road. All in all I love them especially since I've taken the rear sway bar off, don't notice a bit of difference in rear sway on the paved mountain roads. Enjoy your Subi, I know I'm loving mine.

morty muerte

Rank II

Enthusiast II

OH yes I love the King Springs and have had a wonderful experience with them. Although I have noticed a little over dampening if I go over bumps a little hard, backend tends to jump back up. I hate those unexpected obstacles off road. All in all I love them especially since I've taken the rear sway bar off, don't notice a bit of difference in rear sway on the paved mountain roads. Enjoy your Subi, I know I'm loving mine.
Is the rear sway bar removal a big difference? My mechanic said it wouldn't be so i left it. But now you've got me second guessing...
What characteristics does it change?

Reactions: Rocky

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I have noticed no real change, maybe a little easier when you get a little articulation but not much. It's easy to remove and reinstall, just 4 bolts if you want to try it.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Is the rear sway bar removal a big difference? My mechanic said it wouldn't be so i left it. But now you've got me second guessing...
What characteristics does it change?
What you immediately get from removing it is a little more droop since the suspension hangs from the end links. That and freedom to ‘flex’ are the benefits you see off road.

On road I barely noticed it being gone even with stock springs. The Outback is a ridiculously heavy understeer car so that wasn’t surprising since it’s the front sway bar that does a great majority of the work. If you decide to run aftermarket springs it’s like it’s still there except not having it calms the rear down and makes it less twitchy in day today drives.

All in all it’s a super easy thing you can try since it takes 10 minutes to remove and you don’t even have to lift the car to do it. Just make sure you’re on level ground.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Hey everyone, haven't updated this in a bit as I have only been out running and going through a big move with my home. Well here we go, traded out my old rack for a Front Runner rack with the RTT quick releases. And a new CVT Mt Shasta standard Pioneer 2+ RTT. All fits on real nice and rides super nice with the King Springs. No real road noise, had more noise with the old rack. Now to see what this does to my milage. LOL

IMG_3889.JPG IMG_3885.JPG unnamed-2.jpg IMG_3896.JPG

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

Hey everyone, haven't updated this in a bit as I have only been out running and going through a big move with my home. Well here we go, traded out my old rack for a Front Runner rack with the RTT quick releases. And a new CVT Mt Shasta standard Pioneer 2+ RTT. All fits on real nice and rides super nice with the King Springs. No real road noise, had more noise with the old rack. Now to see what this does to my milage. LOL

View attachment 69719 View attachment 69722 View attachment 69723 View attachment 69725
Very nice, that looks great.
Was it very difficult to install?

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Not at all. Igot the rack and tent together by myself. To get the tent up it took 2 of us, my son helped me lift and set it on the quick release points, took about 2 minutes to get the tent up and locked down.

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE

View attachment 69719 View attachment 69722 View attachment 69723 View attachment 69725
I have said it before and I'll say it again. I really like what you have done with your rig. I plan on doing something similar with mine but progress is very slow due to work/budget reasons. Question though, with this new rack, can you use it for storage still? or is it only to hold the RTT? Sorry if it is silly question.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
It can be used for both. It is just a flatter rack without the taller sides of the other one. Front Runner has a complete line up of accessories to fit this rack out.

ca_rage

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area
Another question that may have been answered somewhere else: Will the full size AT spare tire not fit in the original location or do you put it on the hitch mount for convenience?

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Unfortunately it will not fit. We're stuck with putting it in the cargo area, a roof basket or some sort of hitch/custom bumper solution.
Another question that may have been answered somewhere else: Will the full size AT spare tire not fit in the original location or do you put it on the hitch mount for convenience?

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Exactly what WhatThe Zo said, rear tire does not fit. This is why I have a rear tire carrier from Wilco and use the area where the old spare was for my tools and gear I don't need in a rush.

Vesteroid

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hudson
Right now not to much more. Am installing a mount for the iPad system for NAV. I will post that in a few days. Trying to get her ready for a long adventure next year. Should be pretty well set for this.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/alasaka-bound.3806/

Hi Terry,

I have a 17 built sort of similar. I have a lp adventure 2" lift and motegii 118 wheels and ko2 in 245/65/17s

I even have the same rack. I have to add the hitch and carrier as I currently have my tire on the rack. I am going to get a tent for the spring.

can you please give a bit more detail re the mount for the ipad..I understand the ram parts, but that l bracket and what it mounts to are not clear to me.

in addition I was curious if you get any "shudder" in the drive line. I get it about 15-20 mph. its not all the time its just sometimes and typically it feels like the old days where you just let out the clutch and it was engaging. Maybe its normal in the cvt but I have no idea and want to address it if is a problem. Of course it will be interesting if it is and its still under warranty.

Thanks in advance.