Another new member from Maryland

• HTML tutorial

Porrick

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello all:

I've been lurking on and off for a while here, but I just picked up a 2011 4Runner LTD (4.0L and 29K) and decided it was time to go all in! I will be beefing the 4R up for some solo and family trips, but since it's my semi-daily, I won't be going full bore OL. At this point, I just want to improve my trail capability so I can access some more remote spots for camping, hunting, etc. My budget is limited, so I will be doing it myself and bit-by-bit. So far, I've just replaced all interior stock bulbs with LEDs (much better!) and installed engine compartment (none stock!) and cargo bay LEDs. Although I would like a Baja or Gobi rack/ladder eventually, I settled on a cheap Rollo rack for now since I sometimes use the 3rd row for people (Scouts mostly) and need the cargo capacity. It seems relatively solid for the price. Also, since the 4R stands pretty tall for my wife, I ordered Shrockworks step/sliders and a TE rocker which gives her a step up, should offer me a bit of side protection (mostly from doors at this point) and will look a lot better. The rockers are annoyingly low on the LTD, guess I should have bought a TE!. Anyway, the next thing is wheels/tires. I'm not into the 20" wheels and they're only 7" wide, so I'm going to drop down to a 17 x 8-ish and put some dual purpose rubber on there. After that, I'm thinking dual battery/solar, a fridge, and hopefully a RTT.....

Thanks in advance for answering my newbie questions.

Porrick

Last edited:
Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello all:

I've been lurking on and off for a while here, but I just picked up a 2011 4Runner LTD (4.0L and 29K) and decided it was time to go all in! I will be beefing the 4R up for some solo and family trips, but since it's my semi-daily, I won't be going full bore OL. At this point, I just want to improve my trail capability so I can access some more remote spots for camping, hunting, etc. My budget is limited, so I will be doing it myself and bit-by-bit. So far, I've just replaced all interior stock bulbs with LEDs (much better!) and installed engine compartment (none stock!) and cargo bay LEDs. Although I would like a Baja or Gobi rack/ladder eventually, I settled on a cheap Rollo rack for now since I sometimes use the 3rd row for people (Scouts mostly) and need the cargo capacity. It seems relatively solid for the price. Also, since the 4R stands pretty tall for my wife, I ordered Shrockworks step/sliders and a TE rocker which gives her a step up, should offer me a bit of side protection (mostly from doors at this point) and will look a lot better. The rockers are annoyingly low on the LTD, guess I should have bought a TE!. Anyway, the next thing is wheels/tires. I'm not into the 20" wheels and they're only 7" wide, so I'm going to drop down to a 17 x 8-ish and put some dual purpose rubber on there. After that, I'm thinking dual battery/solar, a fridge, and hopefully a RTT.....

Porrick
Hello Porrick and welcome to the OB crew. ..looking forward to seeing your build and adventures

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello all:

Porrick
Hi Porrick and welcome to OB! Sounds like a nice 4Runner you have! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!