Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Went from 12" rims to 13" rims, and flipped the axle. 5K miles on the trailer since the flip. Knock on wood, no issues so far. I now have a set of 14" and will remove the fenders and put them on, in the next month.
RTT trailer 13.jpeg
Sipsey Trip.jpg
I figure with all the Rubbermaid Totes, Solo Bonfire, firewood, chairs, water carrier, and RTT, the whole sheebang probably weighs 500lbs.

Lumbjack_MC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Prineville, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Countryman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7FTC
If you don't want the tires to stick out the extra 2" with spaces you can buy new trailer hubs with the bolt pattern you desire. That's what I did when I restored an old trailer. The only problem I ran into was the center bore of the trailer axle was larger that the hole in the jeep rims I wanted to put on it. I just had the rims machined at a local shop cost $100 for all 5 rims I had done. Good luck with the build and have fun!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Went from 12" rims to 13" rims, and flipped the axle. 5K miles on the trailer since the flip. Knock on wood, no issues so far. I now have a set of 14" and will remove the fenders and put them on, in the next month.
View attachment 134656
View attachment 134657
I figure with all the Rubbermaid Totes, Solo Bonfire, firewood, chairs, water carrier, and RTT, the whole sheebang probably weighs 500lbs.

[/QUOTE
When did this happen, we were just talking about it yesterday. Wow, that was quick. I thought you wanted a tire size the same as your rig so the spare was interchangeable. Trailer supply stores sell bigger finders for a fair price, so does Northern. You should keep fenders on it and may be required by law to do so. Your fenders can be stretched as well and save a little money. It all looks good and very functional. I think it was a smart move. Happy trails !

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

Update: used my angle grinder and cut off
The fenders.

my eBay wheel adapters came in and I tested them out using the spare tire for my Tacoma. They aren’t going to work as I don’t have enough backspacing to fit that tire. I can mount them
But the tire is touching the frame of the trailer so that’s a no go.

trying to figure out what to do for wheels now. What do you guys think? Should I just flip the axle and get some bigger trailer wheels?

I really wanted to run the same size tire in the trailer as my truck but without buying a different axle for the trailer I don’t see another way.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The fenders.

my eBay wheel adapters came in and I tested them out using the spare tire for my Tacoma. They aren’t going to work as I don’t have enough backspacing to fit that tire. I can mount them

trying to figure out what to do for wheels now. What do you guys think? Should I just flip the axle and get some bigger trailer wheels?

I really wanted to run the same size tire in the trailer as my truck but without buying a different axle for the trailer I don’t see another way.
Your back spacing on the Tacome wheel is probably too deep. Measure the spacing and buy wheels that has less back spacing by however much you need to clear the frame.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I would have the axle cut and widened. Not a big job if you can weld. Or buy another axle the proper width.

But I still don't advise wheel spacers unless the offset of the wheel maintains the same center relationship to the hub.

Reactions: Deragheth

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would have the axle cut and widened. Not a big job if you can weld. Or buy another axle the proper width.

But I still don't advise wheel spacers unless the offset of the wheel maintains the same center relationship to the hub.
He already has them because he has a duel bolt pattern. One for the original trailer and the other is for the wheels. Look at his pictures.

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

I thought about that but I don't weld so I would have to have a buddy do it. For now I think I may just get some larger trailer wheels/tires to keep it cheap until I want to get a different axle

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

The fenders.

I have a set of spacers that would probably work.

Not sure if you wanna run spacer/spacer, but they'd do the trick.

You are welcome to them. I bought a set of 4 for my 4Runner and only needed 2.

ZY Wheel 4pcs 1.25" 6x5.5 to 6x5.5 Hub Centric Wheel Spacers 106mm Bore 12X1.5 Studs Black for Lexus GX470 GX460 HL450 Toyota 4runner Tacoma FJ Cruise

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

I have a set of spacers that would probably work.

Not sure if you wanna run spacer/spacer, but they'd do the trick.

You are welcome to them. I bought a set of 4 for my 4Runner and only needed 2.

ZY Wheel 4pcs 1.25" 6x5.5 to 6x5.5 Hub Centric Wheel Spacers 106mm Bore 12X1.5 Studs Black for Lexus GX470 GX460 HL450 Toyota 4runner Tacoma FJ Cruise
I apricate it but I think im going to be either A. going with a different axle or B. just getting 15" larger trailer wheels/tires

Reactions: WAYAWAY

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Yes I’m going to put a wood floor in and eventually maybe some kind of rack system.
Not sure if one of these kits would interest you or not but thought I would throw it out there.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Just posting a bit more info on "Flipping" trailer axles.
The axle is positioned from the top of the spring pack, to the bottom. Or, vise-versa.

dd9863ceaa908c2dabbfdf6e68fbb4c6.jpg

Almost ALL trailer axle are "Cambered"
camber.png

Reactions: Road

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

UPDATE: ok so I decided to go with 1” spacer and a 205/75r15 tire (28”). Got tire/wheel combo on eBay for $170 shipped.

fits perfect!

I put 100lbs in it and gave it a test run today and it pulled really nice.

next I need to do the fenders, floor and get a swing down jack. She’s coming along nice!

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Just throwing my bit into the Camber discussion. I've built several trailers over the years as well as modified for different reasons. All of the axle I order, I specify with or without camber. If you don't specify, odds are it will have camber (or not). On my M100 and my new build you can definitely see the bow in the axle. On my buddies car hauler you cannot. If I put my bubble gauge on his you can see almost 1 degree positive camber. Not all axles will have this.

I have on "one" occasion only where another friend flipped the axle upside down so the perches were on top. This was a heavy hauling trailer with camber. He ate axle bearings pretty regularly. Once we flipped it back over and I welded new perches on, problem solved.

As for the actual definition of "Flipped". Its a slang term. That means up for debate. What does all this mean. That guy can "flip" a cambered axle upside down and never have a problem. The next guy will flip his and eat bearings. Meanwhile those guys "flip" theirs by welding in perches and don't know what the fuss is about.

First, do you have a cambered axle? If you do putting it upside down may or may not cause an issue. Remember, if you do it wrong, it can still work but its still wrong. If you have an issue and you know how it was suppose to be, you know how to deal with it. If you don't know how it works, you can do things wrong your whole life and not know it. If your going to ad in perches, weld them and make sure their the proper length.

Don't mean to derail your thread. Looks like your doing a great job on your build.

Reactions: Mitch65

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

She is coming along nicely! I decided to flip the axle and then I painted the fenders.

I put some weight in it and took it for a 30 mile test run to see how it pulls. it does pretty well but on the highway I get a slight vibration you can feel in the seat.

when I flipped the axle I literally rolled it over so I reversed the camber. I didn’t think it would matter much in such a light weight trailer that only has a couldn’t hundred pounds in it. I loaded it pretty evenly but was wondering what else I can do. More weight towards the front? Tire balance?

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you said it was wandering side to side, I would say more weight forward. You normally can't feel a vibration from a trailer unless its real bad. Things that cause a vibration for a trailer are things at road speed. Tire balance, tire runout, bent rim, rim not centered on hub, real bad bearings.

You went with hub adapters. Jack up one side of the trailer, spin the tire and watch it from the front and the side. Your looking for up/down, in/out. If its good with no movement at all, you eliminated bent rim, off center rim and tire runout.
That leaves you with bearings and balance.

Before you spin the tire, hold it while you turn it. Listen/feel for noise and crunching. Next grab at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock. Gently push pull with both hands. Top in, bottom out then reverse. Your feeling for play. It's not uncommon for a tiny "tick tick" feel. If you can move them considerably somethings wrong. Normally not enough preload in the bearings (too loose)
The opposite is also a problem where it doesn't spin freely (too tight).
Slightly loose bearings should not cause an issue where you feel vibration. That's just a while your there check. Too tight will burn them fast.

That leaves tire balance or too much tire runout.
Balancing tires over my life time I've learned this, If your going to get a bad tire, odds are it's an off road tire. Cheap tire and rims are the worse. I have balanced most of the manufactures tires. Some are better than others. The Coopers I bought for my cruiser, I will never buy again. They are so bad I pulled them to see if there was a problem with my rims. Rims were perfect, tires were horrible.
If you didn't add in shocks any tire balance issue will be amplified.
Hope this helps.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
If you said it was wandering side to side, I would say more weight forward. You normally can't feel a vibration from a trailer unless its real bad. Things that cause a vibration for a trailer are things at road speed. Tire balance, tire runout, bent rim, rim not centered on hub, real bad bearings.

You went with hub adapters. Jack up one side of the trailer, spin the tire and watch it from the front and the side. Your looking for up/down, in/out. If its good with no movement at all, you eliminated bent rim, off center rim and tire runout.
That leaves you with bearings and balance.

Before you spin the tire, hold it while you turn it. Listen/feel for noise and crunching. Next grab at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock. Gently push pull with both hands. Top in, bottom out then reverse. Your feeling for play. It's not uncommon for a tiny "tick tick" feel. If you can move them considerably somethings wrong. Normally not enough preload in the bearings (too loose)
The opposite is also a problem where it doesn't spin freely (too tight).
Slightly loose bearings should not cause an issue where you feel vibration. That's just a while your there check. Too tight will burn them fast.

That leaves tire balance or too much tire runout.
Balancing tires over my life time I've learned this, If your going to get a bad tire, odds are it's an off road tire. Cheap tire and rims are the worse. I have balanced most of the manufactures tires. Some are better than others. The Coopers I bought for my cruiser, I will never buy again. They are so bad I pulled them to see if there was a problem with my rims. Rims were perfect, tires were horrible.
If you didn't add in shocks any tire balance issue will be amplified.
Hope this helps.
Good advise. On the Cooper tire issue I had a similar experience years ago. My problem was that the whole tread was separating from the carcass of the tire little by little. When I went back to the dealer he would just re-balance and of course it would happen again. The last time they balanced them I happened to be watching and from where I was standing I could see the tire going up and down on the balancing machine. Real bad when the customer has to be the one to find the problem.