Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

Hey guys! Iv been a long time lurker here but I haven’t posted much. I’m happy to be here and be part of this awesome community!

I just picked up this small trailer on Craigslist yesterday. It’s one of the cheapy 3x5 Lowe’s utility trailer. I have a short bed Tacoma that fills up fast when we go camping. My plan is to put larger tires and use it for camping equipment. Maybe to haul 400-500lbs of gear. Light off-road here and there but it will primarily be used on road.

I have never done anything like this before so I was wondering if I could use wheel adapters to get the same bolt pattern as in my Tacoma And run the same tires.

Is it safe to use wheel adapters for a trailer like this? Again, trailer will be used primarily on the road.

Attachments

TXJeep

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas
First Name
James
Last Name
C
Looks like a pretty clean trailer, must have been garaged.

New here myself and I am currently looking for a 4x6 or 4x8 trailer to build. You think you have storage problems, try cramming stuff in a jeep, especially with three car seats in the back row.

From what I have read wheel spacers should not be an issue as long as you get them torqued on correctly. I will be doing the same thing so that, worse case scenario, I have a couple extra spares for the jeep.

Post pics as you build it up

Reactions: Mitch65 and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I would like to have something like this as the end result.
I was just talking about doing something like this with @hutchman over lunch on Monday. Post a build thread in the trailer forum when you start on this project, others are definitely interested.

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

I was just talking about doing something like this with @hutchman over lunch on Monday. Post a build thread in the trailer forum when you start on this project, others are definitely interested.
I sure will! I just ordered wheel adapters from eBay so they should fit the lug pattern on my Tacoma. I’m going to drop the spare tire off the truck to test the fit when I get them next week.

we won’t be taking a camping trip until the end of March so plenty of time to get this thing ready

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hey guys! Iv been a long time lurker here but I haven’t posted much. I’m happy to be here and be part of this awesome community!

I just picked up this small trailer on Craigslist yesterday. It’s one of the cheapy 3x5 Lowe’s utility trailer. I have a short bed Tacoma that fills up fast when we go camping. My plan is to put larger tires and use it for camping equipment. Maybe to haul 400-500lbs of gear. Light off-road here and there but it will primarily be used on road.

I have never done anything like this before so I was wondering if I could use wheel adapters to get the same bolt pattern as in my Tacoma And run the same tires.

Is it safe to use wheel adapters for a trailer like this? Again, trailer will be used primarily on the road.
I cant tell from your pic, but I think ypu will need to flip the axle so that the spring is on top of the axle instead of under the axle. Some mild fender stretching (front and rear angle) will be needed for larger tires. It's good you have a 5 bolt pattern because most small trailers have a 4 bolt pattern and so cannot buy larger tires. Look in craigslist Tucson az under auto parts and you will find a very good source for wheel spacers. They are billet steel
and he can make them with duel wheel bolt patterns. Usual cost is $25 per spacer which includes shipping cost. As stated elsewhere herein, tork the spacers down to specs on a clean surface. Pull the trailer around with a load on the trailer for 20-30 miles, pull the wheels off and re tork the wheels spacers and wheels to specs again. That should do it.

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

I was planning on flipping the axle if I had to for clearance and trimming or removing fender. I just ordered these on Ebay and i hope they work. Should let me put Toyota wheels that match my tacoma.

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

I cant tell from your pic, but I think ypu will need to flip the axle so that the spring is on top of the axle instead of under the axle. Some mild fender stretching (front and rear angle) will be needed for larger tires. It's good you have a 5 bolt pattern because most small trailers have a 4 bolt pattern and so cannot buy larger tires. Look in craigslist Tucson az under auto parts and you will find a very good source for wheel spacers. They are billet steel
and he can make them with duel wheel bolt patterns. Usual cost is $25 per spacer which includes shipping cost. As stated elsewhere herein, tork the spacers down to specs on a clean surface. Pull the trailer around with a load on the trailer for 20-30 miles, pull the wheels off and re tork the wheels spacers and wheels to specs again. That should do it.
I was planning on flipping the axle if I had to for clearance and trimming or removing fender. I just ordered these on Ebay and i hope they work. Should let me put Toyota wheels that match my tacoma.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Neat little trailer. In addition to your wheel mod will you be doing anything in the way of a liner to keep the road trash off your load ?

TXJeep

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas
First Name
James
Last Name
C
So, are you guys simply flipping the axle without welding on new plates. Isn't that jacking up your camber since the bend will be going in the wrong direction.

Reactions: M Rose

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

Neat little trailer. In addition to your wheel mod will you be doing anything in the way of a liner to keep the road trash off your load ?
Yes I’m going to put a wood floor in and eventually maybe some kind of rack system.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Thin Wheel adapter...Yes

Two inch wheel spacers....Only if the wheel offset remains centered on hub. If you extend the offset out from the centerline of the hub you add tremendous strain on those tiny 1' stub axles. I wouldn't do it for anything approaching a long trip.

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

So, are you guys simply flipping the axle without welding on new plates. Isn't that jacking up your camber since the bend will be going in the wrong direction.
You are Correct about the camber. If I can fit the wheels without flipping it then I will do so. The tires alone will provide plenty of lift so we shall see.
Iv read of a lot of guys flipping them with no issues so idk how much camber would effect such a small trailer. I’m not sure

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I've checked a number of these garden trailers and have never measured any camber.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Flipping is just that, you flip everything including mounting plates. Trailers have no camber angle as far as I know, or toe in. What bend are you talking about ? Axles are straight.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
You are Correct about the camber. If I can fit the wheels without flipping it then I will do so. The tires alone will provide plenty of lift so we shall see.
Iv read of a lot of guys flipping them with no issues so idk how much camber would effect such a small trailer. I’m not sure
Wheels alone don't give much lift. A 4" bigger tire only gives you 2" of lift. An axle flip can give 4" easily. There is no camber in trailer axles. I built a tandem wheel car trailer back in 1968, no springs at all. I built my own axles from heavy wall 4" pipe and used the spindles from old Chevy front axles. I still use it and driving at speeds over 80 mph.

Deragheth

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Meriden, CT, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Defosses
Ham/GMRS Callsign
kb1rqz
I would check to be sure you know the weight rating on the axle. Dont forget to factor in the flooring you add and what not when you look at your load weight. Also when adding wheel spacers or adapters you need to leave more of a cushion for the max load since you will be adding addition deflection on the wheel bearings at an increasing rate as the load weight increases due to the increased distance of the wheel from the bearing. Even more if the offset of the wheel you are using brings the centerline of the wheel away from the bearing. Kind of like holding a cinder block in our hand close to your body or carrying that same cinder block with your arm extended.

TXJeep

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas
First Name
James
Last Name
C
Wheels alone don't give much lift. A 4" bigger tire only gives you 2" of lift. An axle flip can give 4" easily. There is no camber in trailer axles. I built a tandem wheel car trailer back in 1968, no springs at all. I built my own axles from heavy wall 4" pipe and used the spindles from old Chevy front axles. I still use it and driving at speeds over 80 mph.
Trailer axles definitely have camber built in.

I am no trailer expert but I have had a 14 foot and 16 foot tandem used commercially and they both had an upward bend in the axle unloaded. Flip it and you would have some issues.

Maybe on a lighter duty axle you might not notice it.