Another Holiday sale, or is it really a sale?

• HTML tutorial

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

There's a growing trend that I have been keeping track of for the last year; and that's overlanding / outdoor (Outfitter's) offering Holiday sales, when in fact they only raise the prices and then drop them down by a % calling it a Hot sale.
The most disappointing thing here is that I tend to stick behind a few companies, showing my loyalty as a customer and for one particular outfitter I was really disappointed to see you raise your prices on their items calling it a holiday sale. Just FYI - I not only have screen shots of the items that I had wanted to buy, I also just purchased 3 items ranging from $160 to 325, the last of which I picked up in Mid April. This particular company raised the prices up by 15%, then marked them down for Memorial Day weekend by 15%.

Last edited:

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I agree with you. A lot of those corporation assume that the consumer public are not paying attention and that we are all just ignorantly duped.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I agree with you. A lot of those corporation assume that the consumer public are not paying attention and that we are all just ignorantly duped.
It's really sad to see, waiting for the holiday sale and they pull this BS. To think I had a list; more cases, an awning, and possibly an RTT with this company and now I crossed them off the list.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Be sure to let them know they lost your sale AND why. Some people will shy away from directly calling out a company on public forums, but for things like this it can be a great tool for change. An active social media department should be monitoring popular consumer forums and can impact marketing. I've seen it on HammockForums and I think one here too.

At the very least, the post could be cathartic. =D

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Not wrong there....Look at black friday and all the "deals" out there...
exactly...and a lot of the "sale items" are not the original. for example, home depot had a sale on their 14 gal ridgid shop vac. i have one and wanted another one so i jumped at the great deal. well, i got it home and opened the box and it was a cheap version of the original that had a small crappy hose and less attachments, etc.
black friday sales are notorious for having cheaper versions of an item that make people think they are getting a deal. craftsman tools did that a lot when sears was open

not sure what is worse....deceiving people with an inferior version of a well known item, or manipulating the price like they do. we have to really pay attention to things now...

Reactions: haaken675

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You watch how prices climb slowly over a few months so they can have a sale price at or slightly higher than it was 4 months ago.
As the others said, been going on forever.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
You watch how prices climb slowly over a few months so they can have a sale price at or slightly higher than it was 4 months ago.
As the others said, been going on forever.
Don't forget about the inflation that no one wants to admit to.....

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Steel and fabrication items are things I buy a bunch of. I get inflation and watch the market fluxuate considerably. When a part manufacture sells a hiem joint for $15 and the vender price's change considerably based on what time of year it is. Its not inflation, that's demand. If I can make people think their getting a better deal and stimulate my sales of course this is what I will do. Its all part of the game.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

There's a growing trend that I have been keeping track of for the last year; and that's overlanding / outdoor (Outfitter's) offering Holiday sales, when in fact they only raise the prices and then drop them down by a % calling it a Hot sale.
The most disappointing thing here is that I tend to stick behind a few companies, showing my loyalty as a customer and for one particular outfitter I was really disappointed to see you raise your prices on their items calling it a holiday sale. Just FYI - I not only have screen shots of the items that I had wanted to buy, I also just purchased 3 items ranging from $160 to 325, the last of which I picked up in Mid April. This particular company raised the prices up by 15%, then marked them down for Memorial Day weekend by 15%.
Has anyone felt that sometimes we are pointed in the wrong direction, giving the wrong advice, of just advice that doesn't pertain to your needs and wants? It might be the story of life in general, as I'm sure we can point to examples in all walks of life.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Has anyone felt that sometimes we are pointed in the wrong direction, giving the wrong advice, of just advice that doesn't pertain to your needs and wants? It might be the story of life in general, as I'm sure we can point to examples in all walks of life.
Let me expand on my thoughts here; I'll start off with my career as an example, over the last 12 years I have worked extremely hard working on my skill sets, and over time it has paid off with notable accomplishments / servicing excellence awards and at one time reaching the top of my company's list with over 10k employees - ranked #1 for time spent on front and back end certification work. You spend 12 years working your craft, setting new goals each year and then all of a sudden out of the blue some Genius decided hey Chris - perhaps you should go in this direction. A direction not determined or requested by my clients allocations, but some small group of professionals that came up with the concept that we should expand out reach into new career paths within the companies portfolio.
Now let me stop here and say, first and foremost I'm truly blessed to even have a job, a roof over my head, and I consider myself blessed to have the position that I have. With that said it came with Hard work, determination, and commitment - I paid my due's traveling the states for my clients and I invested my hard earned $$$ on a secondary eduction to support my role. Now for someone to come along and say - Well you never know the job might not be in demand might hold some truth, but what they didn't expect was my reply.
I told my team and leadership - as a manager I couldn't agree with you more, changes will come and roles will change. With that in mind, and with the time and money spent on my career path if that change does come, I will welcome it with open arms and I will also make the decision at that time if I want to stay and pivot or just hand up my hat and move on.
The Zoom call went silent and then all of a sudden other team members started to express their opinions - which by the way was right in line of what I was telling my company.

Thank you for listening as this was just one example of what I had asked about those who try to give good advice, but don't always understand that it might not apply to you and your needs.