Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
Came across an interesting video for a DIY Awning. I have been wanting one, and being a the type who rather build than buy, well you can guess what happen.

Here is the video,

Some random pictures from the build process.

20200726_134121.jpg

20200727_142608.jpg

20200728_091740.jpg
20200728_091703.jpg

20200727_190656.jpg

I still need to make the cover. and add some velcro straps to help tighten up the awning to the frame.

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
got the cover made tonight, would have turned out MUCH better if I had not mis-ordered the vinyl. I ended up having to sew on an extra piece to make it long enough. I forgot I ordered the vinyl for another project oops...

Tomorrow is a my last day of my off week, so that usually means getting things ready for the next 8 days of work, But I might be able to get this buttoned up and on the truck permanently.

Reactions: AntWookie

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
The homemade awning is turning out to be fairly durable. All things considered .
20210206_164550.jpg
20210206_163042.jpg

Held up well to the gulf winds. 15 to 20mph winds.. But with out guying the awning there was no way I was going to trust it overnight. The poles where buried a couple inches in the sand and with the back side.free.to billowmout there was no lifting of the frame at all

If anyone decides to build.one look up kedar rail or awning rail should do alot to mprove the attachment points for the fabric.

I am not sure if I like the hose mod on the swing out arms or not..

There needs to be a couple more.holes on the arms to adjust the awning .

And it needs some.more velcro straps to secure the fabric to the swing outwards.

The m18 lantern worked great hanging from the awning when it got dark.

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
RIP diy awning..

A gust of gulf wind did it in. It had been reasonable far as winds went during daylight hours. But a sudden gist came along and flipped it up on top of the truck tearing one of the rubber "hinges". And bending the EMT poles a bit.

Should have put a Deadman in for it. Like we did the shower tent...20210529_100356.jpg

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I used to use old fishing rods since they had a bit of give to them. I would also use a rod holder and either drop the pole in directly or tie off.
Also look into the screen instead of solid tarps I’d just for shade.

Attachments

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Also, if you don’t have coolers and water jugs to hold things down, I would carry a small stack of good 3 gallon buckets that I’d fill with sand and then top off with ocean water.

Reactions: Pyrotech