Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I just saw another thread about how this app is lacking for people in the Us East region. There are resources, there are trails and PLENTY of members. But it seems members in the East don’t seem to contribute much to the app/community.

I recently became aware I got all the “trophies” in the ambassador track and had no idea what that meant. I was later informed it essentially means nothing… but it adds numbers next to your name in the forum.

Anyway… this “achievement” happened as a result of 2 reasons:
1- I’m adding resources to an app I use for my own benefit and I get enjoyment from engaging with everyone here on the forum
2- my wife and I are trying to be good members. (Ex: She is new to the outdoors so we took the tread lightly course)

So how do we make this app and this community better?
By adding resources/ enrich the experience

How do we do that?
Encourage positive participation. (Ex: members adding resources to the map and welcoming and interacting with other members and becoming educated in this such as tread lightly, or overlanding skills, first aid, etc)

How do you get people to do that?
Possibly a tangible incentive…

There are 5 of these “tracks” and I noticed each one in the app has an image resembling something like a badge. What if people were to receive a badge for completing the tracks?
It’s not much of a reward but after contributing to the community members would receive something.

Just thought I would throw this out there.
What do you think?

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I recently became aware I got all the “trophies” in the ambassador track and had no idea what that meant. I was later informed it essentially means nothing…
that's not true....

1628186949447.png

and if you moved to north korea with all that swag..,.you would be a god!

1628193004858.png

Last edited:

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
D

Deleted member 14476

I like this idea! Maybe badge upgrades/redesigns that you'd replace your current badge with.

Reactions: Dusther210

Scooter95

Rank III

Member III

Derby, CT, USA
First Name
david
Last Name
nemec
Member #

I just saw another thread about how this app is lacking for people in the Us East region. There are resources, there are trails and PLENTY of members. But it seems members in the East don’t seem to contribute much to the app/community.

I recently became aware I got all the “trophies” in the ambassador track and had no idea what that meant. I was later informed it essentially means nothing… but it adds numbers next to your name in the forum.

1- I’m adding resources to an app I use for my own benefit and I get enjoyment from engaging with everyone here on the forum
2- my wife and I are trying to be good members. (Ex: She is new to the outdoors so we took the tread lightly course)

How do we do that?
Encourage positive participation. (Ex: members adding resources to the map and welcoming and interacting with other members and becoming educated in this such as tread lightly, or overlanding skills, first aid, etc)

There are 5 of these “tracks” and I noticed each one in the app has an image resembling something like a badge. What if people were to receive a badge for completing the tracks?
It’s not much of a reward but after contributing to the community members would receive something.

What do you think?
I hope I'm doing this correctly. I think I maybe the person that started this. My problem is posting anything just a message is very confusing. Here in east coast its difficult to find other members. Ive gone on map most folks join then never interact after. This app is extremely difficult to figure out. At least for people who do not do this all day. I want to participate, I want to find folks that would like to go out and do things. This app does nothing but aggravate. I understand the 1st 5 thing. But if you cant figure out that people give up. You collect money. People get a metal to put on there vehicle and that is where it ends. Please look at CT people join then go dormant. I hope this helps folks out here. In the spirit of the community.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

How do we do that?

What do you think?
I hope I'm doing this correctly. I think I maybe the person that started this. My problem is posting anything just a message is very confusing. Here in east coast its difficult to find other members. Ive gone on map most folks join then never interact after. This app is extremely difficult to figure out. At least for people who do not do this all day. I want to participate, I want to find folks that would like to go out and do things. This app does nothing but aggravate. I understand the 1st 5 thing. But if you cant figure out that people give up. You collect money. People get a metal to put on there vehicle and that is where it ends. Please look at CT people join then go dormant. I hope this helps folks out here. In the spirit of the community.
I don’t think it was you. It’s basically all of us in the east coast. I even just made a thread complaining about the user experience on the app.

I have to say the website is very easy to navigate and useful.

But you’re right most people over just want an app that easily tells them all the secret amazing places to go “wheeling”. It’s a very toxic culture over here, it’s exacerbated by the governments over here closing everything and making it illegal.

I did a section of the NEBDR last fall that went through CT, it was one of my favorite parts of the route

But I do think a lot of East coasters hop on here hoping to find something that doesn’t exist.

@diabetiktaco is doing great things in NJ as is @5boro_ovrland (IG). We have OK4WD and MSO also. I’ve been to OK4WD and talked with the people over there, really cool.

We have Maine, that seems like the Wild West of the East…if that makes any sense lol

I think because the east coast is so densely populated and the general culture over here people just want to have their own quiet, personal and self paced adventure.

I’m probably the biggest culprit here. My wife and I only go out on weekdays and it’s kinda the only quality family time we get so we typically don’t want to see anyone … especially meeting strangers or sharing camp with people we don’t know. Especially being from NYC it’s a really hard thing to overcome.

We’ve made exceptions, met some wonderful people and made good friends from here. But it’s incredible the culture difference between the east and west coast overlanding communities.

I think one thing that needs to be done to really make a difference is to clean up and re-open Stag Hill. It would require a serious effort and support from the local community but that would be the start to change the perception and culture over here. That was the closest trail from NYC and I’m sure the town there might like the idea of charging people to access it and a local group of people to maintain it.

I’m sure OB has some people knowledgeable with the area etc.

YouTube and IG shows a lot of people illegally accessing it, I’m sure that is not helping our image any… it carries over into the NJ pine barrens. It’s literally the only legal place to drive off parent in NJ. Meaning it’s getting a disproportionate amount of traffic… how long until NJ ruins that?? And there’s plenty of YouTube videos of people doing donuts etc in places they shouldn’t be…

I’m inspired by the videos Michael shared recently and last year of the clean ups on the west coast, where they worked with the officials and locals.

Anyway… this turned into quite a rant. Hopefully you enjoyed reading it or there was something helpful in this lol

Scooter95

Rank III

Member III

Derby, CT, USA
First Name
david
Last Name
nemec
Member #

How do we do that?

What do you think?
I don’t think it was you. It’s basically all of us in the east coast. I even just made a thread complaining about the user experience on the app.

But you’re right most people over just want an app that easily tells them all the secret amazing places to go “wheeling”. It’s a very toxic culture over here, it’s exacerbated by the governments over here closing everything and making it illegal.

I did a section of the NEBDR last fall that went through CT, it was one of my favorite parts of the route

But I do think a lot of East coasters hop on here hoping to find something that doesn’t exist.

@diabetiktaco is doing great things in NJ as is @5boro_ovrland (IG). We have OK4WD and MSO also. I’ve been to OK4WD and talked with the people over there, really cool.

We have Maine, that seems like the Wild West of the East…if that makes any sense lol

I think because the east coast is so densely populated and the general culture over here people just want to have their own quiet, personal and self paced adventure.

I’m probably the biggest culprit here. My wife and I only go out on weekdays and it’s kinda the only quality family time we get so we typically don’t want to see anyone … especially meeting strangers or sharing camp with people we don’t know. Especially being from NYC it’s a really hard thing to overcome.

We’ve made exceptions, met some wonderful people and made good friends from here. But it’s incredible the culture difference between the east and west coast overlanding communities.

I think one thing that needs to be done to really make a difference is to clean up and re-open Stag Hill. It would require a serious effort and support from the local community but that would be the start to change the perception and culture over here. That was the closest trail from NYC and I’m sure the town there might like the idea of charging people to access it and a local group of people to maintain it.

YouTube and IG shows a lot of people illegally accessing it, I’m sure that is not helping our image any… it carries over into the NJ pine barrens. It’s literally the only legal place to drive off parent in NJ. Meaning it’s getting a disproportionate amount of traffic… how long until NJ ruins that?? And there’s plenty of YouTube videos of people doing donuts etc in places they shouldn’t be…

I’m inspired by the videos Michael shared recently and last year of the clean ups on the west coast, where they worked with the officials and locals.

Anyway… this turned into quite a rant. Hopefully you enjoyed reading it or there was something helpful in this lol
Look how you have to respond to someone its difficult. Anyway 20 yrs ago I offloaded in CT weekly. I dont even know if those places are legal anymore. The problem is if you look at folks in Ct on members map they join and within 2 months they stop being active. That tells me they get frustrated. I've tried a few time to meet up to get coffee and chat with folks and they stop communicating. I've friended them and I see I have 2 friends but no way to get in touch cause I cant see who they are.
This could be a me thing not using the app correctly. But you cant deny that people join and lose interest. I think parcily it's this app.
Also I've gone to East Coast section, and I see stuff for other countries???
Yes cleanups, coffee meet up, ect be nice. Problem is is people can communicate to get that stuff started it's just not going to happen at all.
I totally understand the family time thing. I like my alone time alot myself. But didn't we join this to meet new people, go out and offroad, camp , and see new and exciting things?
Idk I'm finding this whole experience frustrating.
I didn't join for badges.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

How do we do that?

What do you think?

Look how you have to respond to someone its difficult. Anyway 20 yrs ago I offloaded in CT weekly. I dont even know if those places are legal anymore. The problem is if you look at folks in Ct on members map they join and within 2 months they stop being active. That tells me they get frustrated. I've tried a few time to meet up to get coffee and chat with folks and they stop communicating. I've friended them and I see I have 2 friends but no way to get in touch cause I cant see who they are.
This could be a me thing not using the app correctly. But you cant deny that people join and lose interest. I think parcily it's this app.
Also I've gone to East Coast section, and I see stuff for other countries???
Yes cleanups, coffee meet up, ect be nice. Problem is is people can communicate to get that stuff started it's just not going to happen at all.
I totally understand the family time thing. I like my alone time alot myself. But didn't we join this to meet new people, go out and offroad, camp , and see new and exciting things?
Idk I'm finding this whole experience frustrating.
I didn't join for badges.

I had actually joined originally mostly to just find places to go.
Have you used the website on the phone or computer?

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Looks like I need to check this app out. I just cone here to document my adventures and let people follow along if they like. But, I have also noticed people show up looking for a trail and then never come back.

I only use paper maps and usually travel alone...so I just ignore technology mostly. But if me embracing it helps some one else...i can get on board with that.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Looks like I need to check this app out. I just cone here to document my adventures and let people follow along if they like. But, I have also noticed people show up looking for a trail and then never come back.

I only use paper maps and usually travel alone...so I just ignore technology mostly. But if me embracing it helps some one else...i can get on board with that.

Thank you, this is the kind of energy we need more of!

Reactions: DevilDodge

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
There is quite a bit going on in this thread. East Coast, App, and OPs original idea.

OP: I like the idea! The coins are physical and quite nice. very heavy:

IMG_6352.jpg

The intent is to give these out for folks completing the track but we have not implemented that program yet. "It means nothing" is not correct. I see about 5 people a week completing the Tread Lightly 101 course to get that trophy. That makes a huge difference for our environment, and if you have completed the Ambassador track, you did so by helping other members - a great contribution to the community. That means a lot.

The reason for these tracks is to give back to the community, and as we develop the trophies, better prepare you to adventure outdoors.

Regarding any app feedback, bring it. I love it - thank you for trying it out! Feedback needs to be very specific to be actionable. We dedicate significant resources to the app - so things can change quickly!

We are developing our app because we saw no other app that included community, mapping and navigation, and trip planning all one so you had all the support you need when you travel. It's a work in progress but Overland Bound One already does a lot...getting there!

Thanks all!

M

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
There is quite a bit going on in this thread. East Coast, App, and OPs original idea.

View attachment 208000

The intent is to give these out for folks completing the track but we have not implemented that program yet. "It means nothing" is not correct. I see about 5 people a week completing the Tread Lightly 101 course to get that trophy. That makes a huge difference for our environment, and if you have completed the Ambassador track, you did so by helping other members - a great contribution to the community. That means a lot.

The reason for these tracks is to give back to the community, and as we develop the trophies, better prepare you to adventure outdoors.

Regarding any app feedback, bring it. I love it - thank you for trying it out! Feedback needs to be very specific to be actionable. We dedicate significant resources to the app - so things can change quickly!

We are developing our app because we saw no other app that included community, mapping and navigation, and trip planning all one so you had all the support you need when you travel. It's a work in progress but Overland Bound One already does a lot...getting there!

Thanks all!

M

Thank you for responding to this! You’re right, there really is a lot packed in one thread lol

But that is EXACTLY what I was talking about, that exact thing in your hand! That is AWESOME!!

When do you expect to get the program going and sending those out?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

View attachment 208000

Thanks all!

M

Thank you for responding to this! You’re right, there really is a lot packed in one thread lol

But that is EXACTLY what I was talking about, that exact thing in your hand! That is AWESOME!!

We’re not quite sure. Hopefully before next year.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

View attachment 208000

Thanks all!

M

We’re not quite sure. Hopefully before next year.
Sounds great! I look forward to it

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Well, I use the web and the app.. new things always pop up.. as for the badges it’s a family effort.. it’s like getting patches as a scout. We thrive on getting a new badge.. and bring up the leader scores. We do beach clean up every weekend if the weather permits.. we are still waiting on new badges to be made… the inventor and the builder, mechanic category should be explored. When ever anyone wants to round up some trash while off-roading or fishing at the beach.. we are always games. I can be reached via Instagram at meta_green_machine_aquaponics
Via Facebook at
Empire State Overland Admin
Via Overland Bound
Cpol #14325

Last edited:

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Well, I use the web and the app.. new things always pop up.. as for the badges it’s a family effort.. it’s like getting patches as a scout. We thrive on getting a new badge.. and bring up the leader scores. We do beach clean up every weekend if the weather permits.. we are still waiting on new badges to be made… the inventor and the builder, mechanic category should be explored. When ever anyone wants to round up some trash while off-roading or fishing at the beach.. we are always games. I can be reached via Instagram at meta_green_machine_aquaponics
Via Facebook at
Empire State Overland Admin
Via Overland Bound
Cpol #14325
your family has done very well

Last edited: