Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

It says it’s a day trip that starts and ends on the 6th but it also says there’s camping. Where are you going to be camping and do we need reservations?
The common place to camp is Oxford Ranch near Llano. It’s first come first serve, no reservations. BUT, that weekend is also eclipse central, so it may be packed.
So there’s not a planned location?
No, there's no pre-planned location that I know of.

Jonathon

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Marlow, OK, USA
First Name
Jonathon
Last Name
Magnus
We wont be able to make. We were in Dallas last weekend and on the way home found this guy and his sister. They had been abandoned on the side of the freeway.
Meet Ranger. Once he and his sister have all their shots we can start adventurong again. But with 4 dogs instead of 2.

Attachments

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
That is correct. When I made the trip, I was planning to camp at Oxford Ranch like Rex mentioned. However, I didn't realize at the time it would be so close to the eclipse date and how many people were planning to show up for it. Thus, I doubt there will be any locations available that weekend. I do plan to make another camping trip in the near future to make up for not being able to do it this time.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Making our way from southern ca. on route to Waco for the eclipse.
Looking forward to seeing what ‘hill country’ is all about.
Don’t know if the wife is coming but the dog is
That's quite the trip

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Making our way from southern ca. on route to Waco for the eclipse.
Looking forward to seeing what ‘hill country’ is all about.
Don’t know if the wife is coming but the dog is
So you gonna do the Hill Country trip Sat, then proceed to Waco? I-10 most of the way I guess?

Reactions: roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Waco is not in the Hill country. FYI
Even the Hill Country route is not in the real hill country. You need to go south of Kerrville, around Medina, to be in actual hill country.

Sixpack

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, United States
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
Osantowski
Member #

Looks like rain and terrible conditions for viewing an eclipse. I wonder if there will be a bunch of cancellations both for this trip and for camp sites. I’m coming even if it snows haha. I need to get out and this will be the maiden voyage of the adventure mobile. I figure a nice easy one to begin with.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Looks like rain and terrible conditions for viewing an eclipse. I wonder if there will be a bunch of cancellations both for this trip and for camp sites. I’m coming even if it snows haha. I need to get out and this will be the maiden voyage of the adventure mobile. I figure a nice easy one to begin with.
Mostly sunny and mid 70s on Saturday. Should be perfect for scenic drive.

Sixpack

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, United States
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
Osantowski
Member #

Mostly sunny and mid 70s on Saturday. Should be perfect for scenic drive.
Here’s hoping

Reactions: roots66

@gigem_chris

Rank II

Contributor III

Pearland, Texas, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Howerter
Member #

That is correct. When I made the trip, I was planning to camp at Oxford Ranch like Rex mentioned. However, I didn't realize at the time it would be so close to the eclipse date and how many people were planning to show up for it. Thus, I doubt there will be any locations available that weekend. I do plan to make another camping trip in the near future to make up for not being able to do it this time.
We still plan to camp at Oxford. There is always room there if you can manage primitive. We usually get an electric site. And Herman said he doesn’t expect the big crowd until Sunday afternoon. Plus the weather on Monday looks poor so many will not show for eclipse.

Reactions: roots66 and Sixpack

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Itinerary for tomorrow:
  • 0700 - Gather at Academy Sports in Georgetown on Hiway 29
  • 0730 - Leave Georgetown and head to Marble Falls via Hiway 29/FM 1431
  • 0830 - Arrive at HEB in Marble Falls to top up on gas, use the restroom, grab some snacks, etc (For those who can't make the 0730 time, or Georgetown is out of the way, you can meet us here)
  • 0900 - Leave HEB and head to the start of the trip via Hiway 281/Hiway 71
  • 0920 - Start of Hill Country Route at Hiway 71/CR 310 (Rex @Sparksalot will be here for anyone who wants to meet up at this location)
Reminders:
  • This is an all day drive on mostly dirt roads with a stop at Cooper's BBQ in Mason around noon. We will probably spend most of the time going 30-40 mph and stopping multiple times to enjoy the scenery. So, don't forget your camera.
  • There may be a few small water crossings along the way and a drive through the James River after Mason. None of these are very deep, but still fun to do.
  • Although not required for this trip, a form of comms is always good to have. The main form of comms for this trip will be GMRS/FRS channel 15 (462.5500 MHz). If you don't have a GMRS radio, a good quality walkie-talkie will work as we won't be spread out too far apart.
  • Most important - Have Fun!!!