Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@Byron Eby yep. We watched him forage a while, and when we pulled away, there was another about the same size 50 yards to the left. Really cool to see.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

That is awesome. Where was this at? @SLO Rob
Right? to see TWO was pretty wild. This was maybe a quarter mile from the town of Pozo, just at the north end of a 17 mile dirt road that is fun called Hi Mountain Road. About 10-15 minutes from an area called La Panza which has lots of trials and camping...and apparently, bears!

Reactions: Byron Eby

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I've been close to Roosevelt Elk during the rutting season in November along the Lost Coast. Nothing like opening the door of the outhouse first thing in the morning to see a couple thousand pounds of elk about 50' away.

On a smaller scale, I have run into a couple rattle snakes. Most recently was last July at the Mendo Rally. I was part of the Heavy Recovery Team that pulled rally cars off the side of the mountain back on to the course. During one of the longest recoveries, there was a 4' rattler not 2' off the trail in front of my truck. Of course everyone wanted past to get pics of the recovery, so I had control my winch, watch the rest of the team further up trail, and perform crowd control all at the same time.

Reactions: BEAR and Byron Eby

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, California, United States
First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

I've been close to Roosevelt Elk during the rutting season in November along the Lost Coast. Nothing like opening the door of the outhouse first thing in the morning to see a couple thousand pounds of elk about 50' away.

On a smaller scale, I have run into a couple rattle snakes. Most recently was last July at the Mendo Rally. I was part of the Heavy Recovery Team that pulled rally cars off the side of the mountain back on to the course. During one of the longest recoveries, there was a 4' rattler not 2' off the trail in front of my truck. Of course everyone wanted past to get pics of the recovery, so I had control my winch, watch the rest of the team further up trail, and perform crowd control all at the same time.

Bob

Rank III

Advocate II

When my boys were about 10 and 12 years old, I took them to Durango, Colorado to go mountain biking.
I think the trail I took them to was called the Hermosa Creek Trail over 20 miles of mostly downhill. Anyway I dropped the boys off at the top and told them that I would meet them at the bottom.
After waiting about 4 hours they finally showed up. And I found out why it took so long.
About halfway down they decided to stop and eat some of their snacks, so they were by themselves in a meadow, when they noticed a black bear coming toward them.
My older son whispered to the younger that the best thing to do was to play dead.
So the bear came around and sniffed the oldest one and then came up to the younger boy, the bear actually opened his mouth and put his teeth on my sons calf, that was when the kid freaked out and started screaming, which as we found out later is a good strategy for black bears.
It worked this time because the bear took off, and so did the boys.
I could see the tooth marks on my sons leg from the bear. (he was wearing shorts)
After we returned to Durango, we stopped in at the ranger station to report the incident, and were told that with black bears to make yourself as big and loud as possible, and with a grizzly to play dead.
I doubt if they forget that lesson ever.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

We encountered a mountain lion this winter when hiking. We noticed the fresh tracks in the snow and decided to turn around. Apparently it turned around as well and circled through the woods in front of us. Luckily our German Shepherds scared it off.

Mountain lion print

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Old Bodie/Masonic road. Spotted a herd of whitetail deer in the dis...wait, there are no whitetails in California. Whaaaat...?

Pronghorn Antelope. We've been told we were extremely lucky to see them!

This guy was mad dogging us the whole time...

No idea what this guy was, but he shredded my finger with his antenna when I grabbed that basket!

Front porch. Alligator lizard!

Tarantula in NorCal? Apparently so!

Jerusalem cricket! They don't just bite, they chew!

Poor little guy fell from his nest. Not sure how he fared in the end (lots of barn cats here)

The wife knows better now, gave her a hard time about feeding wild animals. It's really not good for them in many different ways :-(

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I always take my 12ga shotgun loaded with slugs and 00 buck when I go camping in black bear country. I keep it relatively handy but I don't carry it around constantly. With my past training I was instructed to aim for the front shoulder of the black bear to incapacitate it if needed.... then dispatch accordingly.
I also have bear spray... I hope I don't have to use it. I hate that crap. I've been told (not sure the validity) that once you use it and it's potency gets a bit diluted on whatever you sprayed it on, bears can be attracted to it.

I got these little bear-bangers (pics attached) and typically have one in my pocket at all times. They're the size of a pen + the "banger" part screwed on the end. They sure are fun to play with(similar to fireworks) and you can get flares for them too... but I haven't used it yet for the purpose of scaring a bear. They are definitely loud... essentially the same as a shotgun blast.

I have a healthy respect for black bears but consider them basically very large nosy dogs that scare easy. As previously stated... if you have to fight a black bear... fight! Don't play dead. Punch them in the nose or jam your fingers in their eyes... do whatever you need to do. Large sticks are helpful too.

Attachments

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

A couple of years ago we were returning from a weekend in Lafitte, LA (bayou country at its best). We were running along at highway speed. In a flash a huge boar ran out of the swamp and collided with our Suburban 's passenger side. It damaged the fender and put a large hole in the tire! The boar was laid out across a lane and it took up the whole lane . We manuvered to the shoulder and were happy we were not hurt. Some folks came along and stopped short of the boar and were surprised (as we were) to see the animal get up and run back into the swamp. They were locals so they called for someone to bring pirogues so they could hunt it down for a major cochon de lait. You do not want to mess with these pigs, unless of course you are Cajun!

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

Just this past weekend (Sunday evening here) i was woken by somthing tripping on the guy ropes on my swag...swag shook....seconds later, a lot of heavy exhaling from something much larger than the average human lung capacity sat outside the swag for a few minutes...i puckered up for a bit..kept silent and eventually it made it's way from our camp....no idea what it was...but the hairs on my neck were at attention....lol...and it was 0.7 degress cel...so i was not going outside for anyone...IMG_20160814_063828.jpg

Keylay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cypress, Texas
Member #

Memorable moments with wildlife:
Philmont Scout Ranch - eating lunch and witnessed a brown bear about 100 yards up a hill behind us, flipping rocks for food.

I've also seen plenty of snake and deer here in Texas.

And just a few days ago, I cruised up on a scene of a rabbit that had just been struck by a snake. Sure enough, on the road about 2.5' behind the rabbit was a Timber Rattle Snake.