Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

As we have borders all over Europe, some just a line, some water or mountains, but always going into another country pretty fast, I was wondering how far do you drive to go for a specific track, area, trail or such?

An example in my case. For a day trip we do around 100km/60 miles one way. For a weekend we do around 200km/125miles one way. So that is without the trail, lane, track or such.

As I just cant imagine how fast the USA is, I am wondering what kind of distances you drive to do your Overland tour.

Very curious about it.

Greetings from Robert

E

expeditionnorth

I'm nestled right up against the Green Mountains, so its only 5-15 miles to a bunch of trails

maybe 50 miles in a day or so checking out new trails off of those etc

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

I'll drive 4 hours (400 km +/-) one way just to get to some decent trails.  Usually, I will camp for the night, run another trail and head home - but I have done it in one day a number of times.

We have lots of farm land and privately owned in Southwest Ontario.  Not much in the way of open access or Crown land.  We have to drive further north to get to the areas where we can get on a decent trail system and spend some time camping out and enjoying the trails.

I am quite  jealous of those who can head 'out their back door' and be in great areas to play off-road and enjoy the outdoors.

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Deeker, here in the UK there are virtually no trails at all, full stop! I'm constantly in envy of you guys in the US and Oz who have thousands of acres of places to explore with 4WDs. Here we've got a few green lanes and the neighbouring houses complain bitterly about those.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
11062 said:
I’m nestled right up against the Green Mountains, so its only 5-15 miles to a bunch of trails maybe 50 miles in a day or so checking out new trails off of those etc
Jealous. :blush:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@ukcrd , not trying to rub it in or anything...this is this weekend up in Sequoia National Park (article coming). Literally no one around except my two friends and I.

@baddragon This weekend I travelled about [highlight]600 miles[/highlight] up to the park and back. Well worth the drive and it made 3 days seem like five!

M

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Michael, that's just plain mean, mate! :blush: LOL! That looks worth the drive to me, though!! Fantastic!

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Thanks for the info. So, well..... I will do more miles, but the point is that it is very hard to get to some nice lanes, trails and tracks. The best countries here in Europe for doing good 4x4 travel (not laning) is, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland (the Alps) Poland, Rumania, Bulgaria, Albania and such. Which all a more then 1000km away from us. Which is around 600 miles one way without the trail itself.

Duncan, I have the same problem here in the Netherlands, laning is hard to find, even much more as in the UK. That is why I will go to Wales again this year, just for some nice Laning. And in October to Morocco for 3 weeks of 4x4 travel/Overlanding.

I will do with midsun a little trip of 4 days in France Elsas/Lorraine. And that is laning as well. I hope as we go just on way points it is worth it. As there are no known lanes there. Too bad that there is nothing in a range of 300 km with decent trails. So we need to do more mileage.

Very jealous about you guys in the states, as you have those fast distances and areas to go.

Greetings from Robert

E

expeditionnorth

11203 said:
@ukcrd , not trying to rub it in or anything…this is this weekend up in Sequoia National Park (article coming). Literally no one around except my two friends and I.

@baddragon This weekend I travelled about <span class="highlight">600 miles</span> up to the park and back. Well worth the drive and it made 3 days seem like five!

M

cant wait for part2

AllWheels

Rank 0

Contributor I

@administrator Hey this weekend we travelled about 250 Miles from LA  to some glorious landscapes in the Sequoia's using the south entrance.  I was surprised that most of the 'off road' tracks were still closed.  Guess I should plan ahead and check the parks website...

OLB.  Great site. Very informative, this is my first post.

Cheers

Harry OTB

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@allwheels Awesome! I entered at the King's Canyon entrance and indeed, the Big Meadows area was still closed! We still had fun!

Welcome to the site! Glad to have you!