Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Agreed, I went from 255/85s to 285/75 - 16s. Mistake # 5,289. LOL I'll be going back to the 255s when these iron clad BFGs wear out. Andrew St Pierre White has an excellent video on tire choices, Mud, versus AT, skinny versus wide. He has strong opinions on the matter of width and backs those opinions up with ( heaven forbid, ) science... have a great day

There is a size I would really like to put on but I can't find it ... Sometimes someone's talking about but... Hmm it's 34x10.5 r17 do you know any tires?

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

There is a size I would really like to put on but I can't find it ... Sometimes someone's talking about but... Hmm it's 34x10.5 r17 do you know any tires?
What you are looking for is a "255/80 R17" is the closest thing. Standard tires are 31" 32" 33" 35" - 34" isn't standard.

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

What you are looking for is a "255/80 R17" is the closest thing. Standard tires are 31" 32" 33" 35" - 34" isn't standard.
I'm currently driving 285/70r17 on 9x17 rim and don't want to get wider but taller.
But I don't want to high jack this thread, need to do some more investigation.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Ronny Dahl aluminum versus steel wheels video here:

Reactions: BCBrian

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Why is this such an issue. Wider tires, more traction. More stability. Literally millions of people put wider tires on their vehicle to improve the way they handle offroad. I'm confused...
I'm not judging at all, however, next time around I'll be going back to 255/85/16s instead of the wider 285/75s. My rig actually handles much better on the pavement and off pavement with the narrower tires. It's not just me, there has been tons of research on this very issue. However, if your rig is primarily a rock crawler or mud buggy, then by all means go wider. If you just like the look of wider, then go wider. More traction, More stability, are words used by aftermarket suspension, wheel and tire marketers in order to sell their product .

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Why is this such an issue. Wider tires, more traction. More stability. Literally millions of people put wider tires on their vehicle to improve the way they handle offroad. I'm confused...
Technically, the contact patch is the same size regardless of static tire dimensions. And, technically, narrower tires perform better in almost all cases except hard cornering and sand / mud deeper than the axles.

That said, I'm a leg man, and under no circumstances will I be outfitting my rig with some skinny little teeny-bopper thighs :tearsofjoy: .

Reactions: KC2BUN

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Technically, the contact patch is the same size regardless of static tire dimensions. And, technically, narrower tires perform better in almost all cases except hard cornering and sand / mud deeper than the axles.

That said, I'm a leg man, and under no circumstances will I be outfitting my rig with some skinny little teeny-bopper thighs :tearsofjoy: .
The narrower tire is going to have a higher contact pressure. Not the best for floating across sand or snow, but better in other situations.

Reactions: KC2BUN

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

The narrower tire is going to have a higher contact pressure. Not the best for floating across sand or snow, but better in other situations.
That's the thing; it won't have greater contact pressure at normal tire pressures, because the contact patch is the same size.

Where wide tires come in is providing a greater ability resist sinking through really deep stuff--hence, like I said, they are better for soft sand and mud (and snow) that is deeper than the axles.

However, a simpler way to think of it is that adding 10% to the tire's diameter (i.e. 30" to 33") will provide much more noticable improvement than adding 10% to the tire's width (i.e. 10" to 11").