Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Vincent
Member #

Hey Andrew, just got back from our meeting. Thanks for your into! I ran part of Barney Riley last year and agree those trails can be tight. One of the guys is in a brand new Jeep so I'll have to make him aware of the potential scratches. He and I are going to continue to 395 from the hot springs, instead of turning around, so that should help him. I'll have my cage doors on so I'll be cool.

I've been reading a lot about slick Rock and how the new section is pretty tough. Majority of people, including one member at the meeting tonight, say 35's and side rails are needed. Some people needed to be winched out but we'll have that covered. He ran it just last weekend. My friend will not be running it in his new JL so if you're not comfortable you guys can just run as fast as you feel good with. Turning around is apparently not an issue on that trail.

And I've also heard running from the reservoir to Lake Alpine is preferred and I plan on doing it that way. I have maps printed out for that direction.

I'm changing things so that we camp two nights around Lake Alpine. Camping on top of corral hollow will not be as enjoyable as Lake Alpine since there is nothing to do up there. Lake Alpine has a store, restaurant and bar, and of course the lake, to enjoy. So we're going to have to find a site Friday morning. There are several right there at the Lake and another site (Bloomfield) further east on 4 that we camped at last year that had plenty of room.

Can you meet us at Big Trees at 10:15?
Sure, 10:15 Friday. See you there! Also - hot springs are not the bomb at Barney Riley. The pools got smashed out, not sure how. There was only 1 small pool full of algae.

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

Hey Ray, It was good meeting you last night and discussing Slick Rock. I'm trying to juggle things around so I can meet up with you guys for at least a day run on Saturday. We'll probably bring the Land cruiser and run from Alpine towards Utica, so if you're going to start at the lower (Utica) end of the trail we'll run into you on the way down. My suggestion would be to take a drive over to the trail reroute from camp at lake Alpine and walk through the reroute before deciding to do the trail in one direction from the Utica side. Since you have all day, it's a lot more fun to go down and back up on the trail instead of driving around on the road.
Hope to see you up there!

Reactions: JKU Ray

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
UPDATE to everyone who I haven't already reached out to. We'll be looking to camp two nights around Lake Alpine as there are way more amenities/sites to check out around there as compared to the top of Corral Hollow. We'll be leaving the Bel Air parking lot in Cameron Park at 8:15 Friday morning. We'll be meeting a couple of other rigs at the Big Trees Market in Arnold around 10:15. From there we'll head up in a caravan and then branch out to look for two camping spots at any of the numerous sites around Lake Alpine. After settling in, we'll run Corral Hollow! I can be reached at 916-320-2813 and will be on HAM channel 146.460. Going to be a great weekend!

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
Love that idea and will take your advice!! Good meeting you guys too and hope it works out where we can run it together!

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Hi Ray-
I'll have to pass on this years trip. Wife doesn't want me to bang up the Jeep on Slick Rock reroute. Take pictures if you can.

FYI - From what I have heard you probably can expect snow on the trail for the Corral Hollow run.
Justin

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
Okay bud, I understand. But there is another brand new JLU that is coming that won't be running slick Rock so don't feel you have to.

Thanks for the heads up on Corral Hollow. Quite the difference it'll be from last year then!

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Hey Andrew, just got back from our meeting. Thanks for your into! I ran part of Barney Riley last year and agree those trails can be tight. One of the guys is in a brand new Jeep so I\'ll have to make him aware of the potential scratches. He and I are going to continue to 395 from the hot springs, instead of turning around, so that should help him. I\'ll have my cage doors on so I\'ll be cool.

I\'ve been reading a lot about slick Rock and how the new section is pretty tough. Majority of people, including one member at the meeting tonight, say 35\'s and side rails are needed. Some people needed to be winched out but we\'ll have that covered. He ran it just last weekend. My friend will not be running it in his new JL so if you\'re not comfortable you guys can just run as fast as you feel good with. Turning around is apparently not an issue on that trail.

And I\'ve also heard running from the reservoir to Lake Alpine is preferred and I plan on doing it that way. I have maps printed out for that direction.

I\'m changing things so that we camp two nights around Lake Alpine. Camping on top of corral hollow will not be as enjoyable as Lake Alpine since there is nothing to do up there. Lake Alpine has a store, restaurant and bar, and of course the lake, to enjoy. So we\'re going to have to find a site Friday morning. There are several right there at the Lake and another site (Bloomfield) further east on 4 that we camped at last year that had plenty of room.

Can you meet us at Big Trees at 10:15?
Hi Ray-

Have fun and if you get a chance take some pictures of the Slick Rock reroute. Justin

Reactions: rho

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

Hi Ray-IMG_0508[1].JPGIMG_0505[1].JPG

Have fun and if you get a chance take some pictures of the Slick Rock reroute. Justin
Here's a couple from the reroute last weekend.
I'm betting Ray will have more to post, but this shows the current condition of the loose climb on the uphill side..

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
What a weekend!! Thanks for all the participated! We all (well most ;) ) had a great time. Corral Hollow was the expected easy run for everyone with awesome views at the top. Slick Rock was a mutha!! But was a lot of fun and truly a test of ones rig, driving capabilities and spotting skills! We were spent afterwards but were all very excited we got through it without much damage to anyone's rig. 3.6 miles took us 6 hours (with one hour spent jumping into creek along the way). Great running into you there Jim!

Barney Riley was tougher than I initially expected but again a lot of fun! Long run, with some incredible views, and some challenging points. Carson River was too full to cross so we had to make our way back towards 89 before being able to head east on the Leviathan Mine Trail. I highly recommend this trail!

We're truly fortunate to live in this part of California with these amazing trails (let alone the Rubicon) so close by! I'll post photos as soon as I can. Great times, experiences, new friendships and photos that will last a lifetime!

Reactions: Andrew Vincent

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Thanks for the recaps guys. Wish I could have made the trip. Next time.

Andrew Vincent

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Vincent
Member #

All rigs from our Corral Hollow run, lined up at the ridge overlooking Bear Valley.

Also, our view from near the Utica Reservoir side of Slick Rock Trail.DD6FA869-E4A6-42CA-BA54-FEB8EC323106.jpegBAF485FD-01AD-4CFA-A98E-F5408C5201B8.jpeg

Reactions: JKU Ray

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Hi Andrew-
Do you think a 2dr JK could make the trail with 33" tires and a 3.5" lift without damaging stock bumpers?

Andrew Vincent

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Vincent
Member #

Hi Andrew-
Do you think a 2dr JK could make the trail with 33" tires and a 3.5" lift without damaging stock bumpers?
I think you’d have some trouble not dinging your stock bumpers at Slick Rock. I’m lifted 6” on 37s, and my rear hit a couple times. The bigger Jeep I was with (Ray) hit his rear bumper and bent it up - and it was an armored one. I think he’s lifted 4” on 35s.