Alpine Loop - Colorado: First Overland/Camping trip. Driving from Texas. Trip Planning.

• HTML tutorial

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

@ProcTheDr
Your welcome. Most of the area is part of the San Juan National Forest so you are permitted to camp anywhere off the trail. That said these are some of the busiest trails in Colorado so don't expect to get much sleep if you are camped in a pullout. (I've encountered folks on an ATV Night ride come buzzing through at 3 am). I also suggest that you reach out to the SJNFS headquarters out of Durango (970) 247-4874 both for info about the area and as you head out in case there are any camping, fire, or other restrictions/bans in place. (There have been for much of the last 5 years.) If you reach out now they can make recommendations and provide suggestions.

Boort
Caution you really can't just camp anywhere along those trails, the alpine tundra is extremly fragile pulling off the trail above timberline is frowned upon (in fact you can get sited by the rangers for it) know before you go where it really is legal to camp. (There is a video that discusses these rules in detail from the rangers that patrol the area). That being said we found great established campsites off Engineer pass right along the river so nice and then after touring the Animas Forks ghost town we set out to find a campsite closer to highway 550 so we could meet up with the family who used lodging in Ouray to run BlackBear pass the following morning. We ran California gulch and Corkscrew pass and found the perfect large group site but wanted something a little more secluded and found one tucked away from the trail. Not far from 550. Note; there is a big staging area/camp area right off 550 but it was loaded and really no room for us.

I wish I could go down to the San Juans at least once a year, but life is very busy. It is my favorite part of Colorado! Happy trails!

FozNasty

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Texas
Member #

iOverlander app is an excellent tool!!! I have rarely used the campsites people post but usually very close to ones listed, it really helps since I have found a lot of national Forest land is private land and no free camping in some of the areas, it's helped me not waste hours of driving when I just want to find a spot to camp after a long drive.

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
As others have mentioned with the snowfall this year the trails are unlikely to be open before late June or even early July.

We’ve received way above average snow fall this year and it hasn’t stopped falling yet. It is starting to warm up, but there is a lot to melt.

There are other passes around like Ophir that generally open earlier than the rest. I would just plan to have a backup option. Moab is also relatively close.

I hope the timing works out and enjoy your visit to Silverton.

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
We are planning the same trip the first week in August. Thanks for the camping info. My daughter and son in law did this trip a couple years ago (they will be joining us) and they had rain and it was pretty cold. They also found the hotels in the area very expensive ($400/night) and pretty booked up. I will be watching this thread also.
The Avon Hotel in Silverton, has a range of options from dorm style accommodations to suites, but all of the hotels do completely book up in the summer.

Reactions: Ross Hoffman

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
@ProcTheDr
Your welcome. Most of the area is part of the San Juan National Forest so you are permitted to camp anywhere off the trail. That said these are some of the busiest trails in Colorado so don't expect to get much sleep if you are camped in a pullout. (I've encountered folks on an ATV Night ride come buzzing through at 3 am). I also suggest that you reach out to the SJNFS headquarters out of Durango (970) 247-4874 both for info about the area and as you head out in case there are any camping, fire, or other restrictions/bans in place. (There have been for much of the last 5 years.) If you reach out now they can make recommendations and provide suggestions.

Boort
A huge section of the Tellourayton area is not part of the San Juan National Forest but is BLM, Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forest and Rio Grande National Forest. This caused me a lot of grief when researching the area 15 years ago (before good maps were available online) since the area is always referred to as the San Juan's.

My favorite area to camp is on the east side of Stony Pass since it is quiet. You are a rough trail ride away from the Silverton/Animas Forks area though which can make for a long day if doing Black Bear and/or Imogene.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I was surprised at how great Imogene pass was. I would venture to say that trail was probably the best trail we ran. But all of them are very scenic. Can'wait to go down there again!

Reactions: Heart of Dixie

Ross Hoffman

Rank 0

Contributor II

Hey guys looks like I may have to make a few changes to this years trip. With everything going on July 19th-24th was our only time frame to go to Colorado and experience the loop and surrounding forests/parks. I recently discovered that the FJ summit is taking place that weekend, in that that area. I've read many places that trying to go and experience the loop and surrounding area while that FJ summit is happening can make things quite hectic and almost unpleasant. Would everyone here agree?

If this is the case can anyone recommend a trip comparable to do during those dates? Maybe still in Colorado? We are even thinking of driving to Yellowstone(we have never been) but we wouldn't know where else to go other than the national park.

I did install a diamondback cover on the pickup and I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Tepui Ruggedized Series Kukenam 3 RTT so we'll HAVE to go somewhere! Thanks in advance guys!

Also, maybe if the snow packs weren't as bad and melted sooner we could pick some dates to go earlier? But from what is sounds and seems like, most trails won't open till late July.

Reactions: DirtySouth

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Hey guys looks like I may have to make a few changes to this years trip. With everything going on July 19th-24th was our only time frame to go to Colorado and experience the loop and surrounding forests/parks. I recently discovered that the FJ summit is taking place that weekend, in that that area. I've read many places that trying to go and experience the loop and surrounding area while that FJ summit is happening can make things quite hectic and almost unpleasant. Would everyone here agree?

If this is the case can anyone recommend a trip comparable to do during those dates? Maybe still in Colorado? We are even thinking of driving to Yellowstone(we have never been) but we wouldn't know where else to go other than the national park.
Colorado is big with a lot to see. If you want to avoid the FJ Summit mess and want to remain in Colorado, check out the Taylor Park area north of Gunnison. Do Taylor Pass and run down Richmond Hill into Aspen, check out American Flag Mountain on your way to Crested Butte, drive the infamous Tincup Pass, explore St. Elmo, drive up the 14'er Mount Antero, stop in Pitkin for snacks, etc. This area is also easier to find trail side camping and is generally less busy than the Tellourayton area.

Ross Hoffman

Rank 0

Contributor II

Colorado is big with a lot to see. If you want to avoid the FJ Summit mess and want to remain in Colorado, check out the Taylor Park area north of Gunnison. Do Taylor Pass and run down Richmond Hill into Aspen, check out American Flag Mountain on your way to Crested Butte, drive the infamous Tincup Pass, explore St. Elmo, drive up the 14'er Mount Antero, stop in Pitkin for snacks, etc. This area is also easier to find trail side camping and is generally less busy than the Tellourayton area.
@KonzaLander This is great! Exactly the kinda information I'm looking for! Is this area in the two Colorado trails books "Guide to Colorado backroads" and "4wd Adventures:Colorado" ?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I did install a diamondback cover on the pickup and I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Tepui Ruggedized Series Kukenam 3 RTT so we'll HAVE to go somewhere! Thanks in advance guys!

Also, maybe if the snow packs weren't as bad and melted sooner we could pick some dates to go earlier? But from what is sounds and seems like, most trails won't open till late July.
If those are the dates you are planning your trip to Colorado and want a good area to explore and want to stay away from such an event as the Fj summit. There are a couple of other extensive trails systems that is well worth exploring. (and are often used for other such events as the summit). I would opt. for the Area 3 Map in the Colorado Fun-Treks Books. Although it is not quite the same experience as you would have in the Alpine Loop area, it is a very great area to explore. (this area has several top notch Hot-spring pools (Mnt Princeton Pagosa Springs) that would serve well for a day for the family to enjoy and clean-up from the days of off-grid travel)
I am hoping to get my rig back together and might be exploring that particular area near the same time., I'm hoping to put something together with the locals who are members of O.B.and new to wheeling that I met earlier this month. I had the privilege of staying the night at the Pitkin Hotel and running a few trails will a group the following morning. There is also a area near Buena Vista (4 mile area) that has extensive 4 wheel hiking and dispersed camping. It is a hop-skip-jump from St. Elmo the starting point from which you can explore some great high mountain pass trails, Tincup Pass, Hancock Pass, Mount. Princeton are Moderate. While there are several harder trails that if you have the rig (what kind of truck do you have?) would be extremely fun to run. From Buena Vista you can travel north to Area 4for another great area to explore more.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I guess I took to long to post my reply but I totally agreed. One thing to note in planning your trip is that here in Colorado they require a OHV permit for your vehicle for the trail that shares with ATV's. (which is 85% of our trails) The permit only cost $25 and helps fund maintenance and keeping our trails open. I have never have seen a ranger checking vehicles for the sticker but it would be something that would avoid any trouble? You can probably go on line and call to verify and go ahead and purchase it if you have your trip set in stone.

I also wonder if there are special permits require in other states as well that would be helpful info for our travels to Utah/California/Arizona???

Last edited:

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
@KonzaLander This is great! Exactly the kinda information I'm looking for! Is this area in the two Colorado trails books "Guide to Colorado backroads" and "4wd Adventures:Colorado" ?
I honestly do not know. I started exploring this area of CO in 1999 before these helpful type of books were out.

These maps would keep you busy for weeks and weeks in the area of CO @JDGreens and I are referencing:
https://www.amazon.com/Gunnison-Pitkin-National-Geographic-Illustrated/dp/1566953960/
https://www.amazon.com/Crested-National-Geographic-Trails-Illustrated/dp/1566952476/
https://www.amazon.com/Independence-National-Geographic-Trails-Illustrated/dp/1566953588/
https://www.amazon.com/Collegiate-National-Geographic-Trails-Illustrated/dp/1566953251/
https://www.amazon.com/Salida-Shavano-National-Geographic-Illustrated/dp/1566953502/

Ross Hoffman

Rank 0

Contributor II

@JDGreens @KonzaLander Thanks a lot for the replies and information. Were this trip to happen, I'd be driving in from Texas in my '17 F250 FX4. The mods are mild at best, level kit, 37" falken MTs, diamondback cover, future RTT. I have little "overlanding" experience, so I'm looking for trails that will accommodate a full size rig and ones that don't typically need other items like a winch or front lockers.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
@Ross Hoffman - If you stay out of places like Chinaman Gulch around Buena Vista you will have no problems on the trails. Taylor Pass has a rough creek exit, but anything on 31" tires can do it and avoid Pearl Pass in your big truck (it will probably stay snowed shut all year anyhow). The high elevation roads around Taylor Park are quite similar to those around the Alpine Loop, just a little rougher with fewer shelf roads, so the experience would be about the same.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

The thing with a full sized truck on tight shelf roads is that you want to keep an eye on what is far ahead of you. Even though right away goes to the uphill traveler. If you are just one going up the hill, if you see 5 rigs starting down and you have a spot to pull over, it would be less a wait for you to make room than to force 5 rigs to negotiate to a spot to pull over. When we were going up Mineral creek with our 3 rigs a older couple from (Texas) was coming down the trail. So many come to experience these areas that have no idea what it takes to stay safe. They had plenty of places to wait for us to pass but came down towards us anyways and said we needed to get out of their way. Not having a clue what they were actually in for on this trail. The wife was so shaken by how scary the shelf roads were (and this trail is much rougher for a stock F-250 no lift). I had got by them but there was no way the Rubicon and my other friend could do the same., so they helped him back up to a good spot. But that is the thing you will have to be mindful of and you will have a great adventure out here in Colorado. I love running the trails out here. (I feel so fortunate) I hope you have such a great time that you want to plan to come through on the way to other destinations and get to do Ouray/Lake city area and get the chance to experience that area too. You won't regret it!!

I have changed my line of work to take advantage of the summers here and do more Overland type of exploring, I can't wait!