Ivins, Utah, United States
First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
Let me start out with a warning. If you eat all the fire starter you will not have any fire starters to use to cook the rest of your food. I start with this statement because children and spouses tend to annihilate these guys if they catch site of them.

I served many tours in special forces and the idea of keep it simple, keep it light, and make it have multiple uses is ingrained into my psyche.
FB_IMG_1495990202901.jpegFB_IMG_1521483352132.jpeg
Doritos. that is right; the delicious snack desired the world over is my tip.
I always carried them in my pocket while on the teams. They are a great way to make new friends in every country I have been to. They are easily carried. They are readily available. They make screaming children(and hangry spouses) happy. They are high in energy content which leads so well to their fire starter capacity.
36063757_1947561411922838_1622464260166647808_n.jpg

Due to the inherent value of doritos, once they are lit on fire they are difficult to put out. Simply place a few of the tasty chips in the fire ring, cover with your typical layers of material, light the dorito on fire, and bam.
obviously for heavy rain it will require a bigger pile of chips and I recommend you get one or two chips burning at least for 10 seconds before placing them into the previously mentioned pile under your burn layers. Since the main aspect burning is the oil in the chip you have now created an oil fire at the base of your fire pit that is very difficult to put out.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
that sounds like a good thing to know when other options are not available. my wife gets toilet paper tubes and fills them with dryer lint and uses that to start fires. not really my thing, but it seems to make her happy by "contributing" so i go along with it.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

that sounds like a good thing to know when other options are not available. my wife gets toilet paper tubes and fills them with dryer lint and uses that to start fires. not really my thing, but it seems to make her happy by "contributing" so i go along with it.
I use a variation of this. I seal one end of the toilet paper tube loosely and then I stuff it with cotton balls that I have saturated with vasoline. I stuff as many as I can into it and then rub a little more vasoline onto the tube itself and seal it in a ziplock bag. After it starts it will burn hot and fairly large for a remarkably long time. I have even lit these things in the wet. Once it starts burning good, I place it with the large side down. You still need to try to give it some dry fuel. It won't catch on soaked wood, but it will dry up some slightly damp logs to get them burning.

Getting the cotton balls soaked with the vasoline and into the tube is a messy business. It's definitely a garage job. Make sure you have a clean dry rag nearby and have the bags already open to put it in.

Happy Trails.

Jeep jeeep

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Plastic gallon milk jugs. cut it into strips, lit one, lay it across your pile then lay more on, as they burn they'll melt and drip into the pile spreading the fire nicely

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I use a variation of this. I seal one end of the toilet paper tube loosely and then I stuff it with cotton balls that I have saturated with vasoline. I stuff as many as I can into it and then rub a little more vasoline onto the tube itself and seal it in a ziplock bag. After it starts it will burn hot and fairly large for a remarkably long time. I have even lit these things in the wet. Once it starts burning good, I place it with the large side down. You still need to try to give it some dry fuel. It won't catch on soaked wood, but it will dry up some slightly damp logs to get them burning.

Getting the cotton balls soaked with the vasoline and into the tube is a messy business. It's definitely a garage job. Make sure you have a clean dry rag nearby and have the bags already open to put it in.

Happy Trails.
I have used Fritos in the past but I also prefer the cotton balls soaked in Vasoline. I usually only have to use one cotton ball.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I have used Fritos in the past but I also prefer the cotton balls soaked in Vasoline. I usually only have to use one cotton ball.
the cotton balls sound like a good idea. i saw a thing somewhere about 50 uses for vaseline in a survival kit, i might should google it and check it out...vaseline is cheap and easy to store and i doubt it goes bad over time.
i was issued a small jar of vaseline in navy boot camp and didnt know what it was for...i later got orders to my first submarine command and then i understood

Last edited:

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Ivins, Utah, United States
First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
Plastic gallon milk jugs. cut it into strips, lit one, lay it across your pile then lay more on, as they burn they'll melt and drip into the pile spreading the fire nicely
Please do not use plastic in a fire. It is highly carcinogenic to breathe and even worse if you cook over that fire. I am a doctor so please heed my warning

Jeep jeeep

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Please do not use plastic in a fire. It is highly carcinogenic to breathe and even worse if you cook over that fire. I am a doctor so please heed my warning
I'm aware of this and should have stated such, thank you for your warning. This method should only be employed in a survival situation and never for general camping. Good call out sir.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Will have to remember this and carry a couple snack sized bags in my kits. This is a hell of a lot cheaper than old road flares for sure!

Reactions: Ubiety

Jetrngr430

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Port St. Lucie, FL, USA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Miller
Member #

We usually start with the log cabin style wood stack. Smallest to the top. Down in the center we put about a tablespoon size wad of dryer lint.( we keep some in a zip lock baggie) Some small shavings on top of that then strike up the fire steel. Few sparks and we’re in business!

jonald

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Corvallis, OR, USA
First Name
Jonald
Last Name
Gradwohl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7KWY
I carry pj cotton balls, but my favorite is a stick candle. Light it with a lighter or a small piece of cotton and a striker. Just pasted a link in the waxed cotton disk thread to a how to video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toady

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
I realize this is an old thread but I think the idea of most “fire starter” is something you can catch with just a spark. Something you would use if you were nursing a tiny ember from a wood bow. Or at least a ferro rod or flint.

will corn chips light with just a spark? Or do you use a lighter to light them and then use their energy density to light the bigger stuff?

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

LouCampin

Rank 0

Traveler I

West Covina
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Valencia
Let me start out with a warning. If you eat all the fire starter you will not have any fire starters to use to cook the rest of your food. I start with this statement because children and spouses tend to annihilate these guys if they catch site of them.

I served many tours in special forces and the idea of keep it simple, keep it light, and make it have multiple uses is ingrained into my psyche.
View attachment 123431View attachment 123432
Doritos. that is right; the delicious snack desired the world over is my tip.
I always carried them in my pocket while on the teams. They are a great way to make new friends in every country I have been to. They are easily carried. They are readily available. They make screaming children(and hangry spouses) happy. They are high in energy content which leads so well to their fire starter capacity.
View attachment 123434

Due to the inherent value of doritos, once they are lit on fire they are difficult to put out. Simply place a few of the tasty chips in the fire ring, cover with your typical layers of material, light the dorito on fire, and bam.
obviously for heavy rain it will require a bigger pile of chips and I recommend you get one or two chips burning at least for 10 seconds before placing them into the previously mentioned pile under your burn layers. Since the main aspect burning is the oil in the chip you have now created an oil fire at the base of your fire pit that is very difficult to put out.
I agree with the doritos, they once helped start a bbq that would not stay lit. I am a believer.

Reactions: Jaytperry89