Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
IMG_0850.JPG IMG_0845.JPG IMG_0846.JPG A friend asked me to assist resolving some issues on a Russian customers Defender 110 Double Cab. He had been to Germany and without any real research or thought booked his Defender in to get upgraded.

The job at first glance was looked great however I was asked to look at an issue with the Aux Battery going flat very quickly. Now admittedly the Defender is not a daily drive and sits for weeks at a time. But the Aux Battery was failing. The Russian was on his 3rd Aux Battery in less than 6 months when I looked at it.

First indications were the battery monitor was in alarm on the aux battery only and I measured it at 3 volts. Recovered the battery to 12.2 Volts and started troubleshooting. The wiring was not labelled with no information from the installer on what was feeding where and the connection on the positive terminal did not tighten fully and the crimps fell off.

Cables were run out of the seat box through holes that were not rubber grommeted. And switches in the rear were wired incorrectly so they permanently illuminated.

I have rewired the switches, resolved the rubber grommets issue to protect the cables and tidied up the seat box battery cabling to make it neater and easier to troubleshoot. So now I'm hopeful he will not have the same excessive drain on the Aux Battery.

So now to get back to why I called thus thread "All the gear no idea".

With no experience the Russian took the word of the installation company and added air suspension, roll cage, rear tub, fridge and pull out slide, air lockers, heavy duty prop shafts, underbody protection, rock sliders, sand ladders, high lift jack, Aux Battery install and many many more items dusting over 10k euros.

All of which he has no idea. He thought the sand ladders once installed on the side of the tub and fold down was a table. He has no idea when and when not to use lockers. Has no understanding of the risks of using a high lift jack. His fridge and slide is mounted centrally in the tub meaning he has no access to anything else in the rear tub.
And finally he has never driven off road so is now scared of everything.

So my advice is don't fall into the same trap and if honest I did similar many years ago but not to the same extreme. If you go to a supplier and say what do I need they will see dollar signs and max you out.

So Join a club, go out with experienced people and see what you really need and what works for you and even more importantly learn how to use the equipment such as a high lift jack or a winch safely as both are killers to the inexperienced.

Does he really need air lockers,I would say no unless he wants to go extreme rock crawling etc and right now due to lack of experience he is more likely to damage something because he used them at the wrong time.

He had a standard Defender and it was more than capable for all his needs but by joining a club he could have learned and understood the modifications and then proceed and purchase them with knowledge and experience.

Sometimes we rush too much when time and patience is a better option.

I'm sure some will agree and some disagree but that is what this website is about. To discuss, debate and ultimately from that we all learn and hop fully improve.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Bahahahahahahahahaahahahaahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Shit like this cracks me up. All the money in the world can't buy experience. Or style for that matter. I've owned a first-gen 4Runner and currently DD a lifted Volvo XC70 wagon. Neither of them look particularly flossy, and on paper might be considered "Light-weight" or "Ill-equipped", but I'll be dammned if I haven't learned more about off-road driving from their limitations rather than their excesses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManWithJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Aaa
Member #

It's the same in any community - there's always the guys that get so hung up on preparing for "X", that they forget that they actually need to go out and DO it. I was big into street racing in my teens - there were guys with beat up cars built on a budget kicking everyone's butt, and then there were guys who built the ultimate race car with all the bells & whistles but would only drive far enough to park it at their local car show for 6 hours a week and play pretend.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Even the basic stock defender is more than capable enough For most overlanding I bought a ltd defender Td5 And drove it stright to tong a 4x4 off road Center ,
There are several porpose built tracks with differing degrees of difficulty .
All manner and builds of 4x4 attend The majority are driven to and from the site a few on trailers . There are hard core and total beginners , but there is allways plenty of craic and advise . When i turned up with a brand new td5 there were gasps of you will get that dirty scratched etc etc but the best advise i got was. LOW RANGE IT WILL GO ANY WERE , it did. I only ever changed one thing the tyers !

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Maybe, in true Overlander fashion consult him and offer some training or advice on proper use of his gear and maybe take him on a short day long wheeling trip? I am always more than pleased to offer advice or help to new Overlanders, it's what we do! (I am not harping on you by the way, no ill intent-just my two cents)

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Maybe, in true Overlander fashion consult him and offer some training or advice on proper use of his gear and maybe take him on a short day long wheeling trip? I am always more than pleased to offer advice or help to new Overlanders, it's what we do! (I am not harping on you by the way, no ill intent-just my two cents)
He saw my Defender a while back at a mates garage and that is why he started upgrading. I did tell my mate to give him my details as I was happy and always am to help as I'm also always happy to discuss what I have put on my Defender and why and would also take him out on some trips.
Not sure if the message was ever passed or or if he decided not to ask. And I have not met him myself to offer in person.
Personally if you drive a motorised skateboard with raised suspension I am always happy to help and assist if requested.

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

He saw my Defender a while back at a mates garage and that is why he started upgrading. I did tell my mate to give him my details as I was happy and always am to help as I'm also always happy to discuss what I have put on my Defender and why and would also take him out on some trips.
Not sure if the message was ever passed or or if he decided not to ask. And I have not met him myself to offer in person.
Personally if you drive a motorised skateboard with raised suspension I am always happy to help and assist if requested.

Awesome man! Overlanding is, as you seem to know, more than just cool rigs. It is a mentality to explore, customize, train and spend time with people. Keep it up!!

Ganja_Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Monroe, Wa
Member #

I had a boss once who pined over my fully expidition equipped 4runner. He had an AMG g-wagon and would constantly tell me it's clearances and forging depths and what not. One day he asked me if I knew anywhere he could use his g string I mean g wagon without any getting it dirty or risking scratching it. I just laughed and shook my head.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app