Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
This update comes from trying to sleep in my 4Runner.

One of the things I noticed was when you put the back sets down there is a 2 ½ inch lip between the rear seats and the cargo area.
This lip perfectly aligns with my ribs when I sleep in the back of the 4Runner.

So I search online looking for a solution that would not add a ton of extra weight to the rig, cost a fortune or be so complicated I would end up with a something I didn't like.
I landed on a middle ground of building my own rear cargo hatch platform.

A few things I considered :
  • I wanted to keep it low so when I did not lose cargo space ( I use the front runner boxes for most of my gear )
    • I wanted head room when I do sleep in the back to get dressed and do whatever else suits my fancy.
  • I did not want to add drawers under the platform.
  • I did want space to add a pull out table

So I went an purchased a 4x8 sheet of ¾ baltic birch plywood ( I think it is 13 layers ) from our hardwood store (Aura in Santa Cruz) and a 1 inch by 2 foot oak plank for runners.

I mentioned this to my husband the I wanted to build and platform and since he is a wood working shop kinda guy he was willing to do the fiddly bits.

The length we cut everything to is 42 long and 43 wide.

Step 1
We started with the runners first
Measure and cut

IMG_4884.jpeg

Step 2
Cut the plyboard
IMG_4885.jpeg

Step 3

Dry fit everything
IMG_4886.jpeg

Step 4

Chamfer the edge that fits against the back seat rest
He used an electric hand held planer for the plyboard and the electric saw for the runners
IMG_4889.jpeg

Step 5

Glued the runners to the plyboard and then pre-drilled all the screw holes and then screwed the top to the runners.
IMG_4890.jpeg

Step 5
Installed!
I think it looks great and now I can start to use it and figure out what more I want to do with it. ( eg pull out table, a way to secure it to the rear cargo area... )
IMG_4892.jpeg

See ya down the trail!

Attachments

Last edited:

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Great project! I made a similar platform for my 4Runner (photos are somewhere in the forums). I took the advice of some YouTubers and covered the top with very thin industrial carpeting. It makes a nice surface for sleeping and softens any potentially sharp edges. I applied 3M spray adhesive to the entire top area to set the carpet in place, then neatly folded it over about 2” and stapled it on the underside. Note that prior to attaching the carpet, I rattle-can painted the platform underside and support runners for a more finished look. It’s convenient that you can leave the platform in place and still use the rear seats in their normal position during the day.
I don’t use this platform when pulling the trailer or tent camping, as it reduces my storage space by several inches. I store it at home and just use the Husky cargo liner.

Reactions: Advtres

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Finally got around to adding a cover to the platform.
I first painted/sealed the wood and then added contact cement and covered with a faux cow hide rug I found on amazon.
Using a staple gun I secured the edges.

I had a vintage solid wood Ouija board and wanted to add a small table to make coffee in the morning, so I added this to the bottom of the platform.

Lastly, since I always seem to come into camp late, I added a couple Baja lights on the front bumper.

Glued down and positioned the faux rug and then stapled.
Secured the board under the platform using some angle brackets
- Note : On the metal runners for the table board I glued fabric to the runners so it would slide, apparently I did not let the glue dry completely and the board/table was glued to them... So yeah, um, let the glue dry before you attach the board...

IMG_5677.jpegIMG_5678.jpeg

Installed in Alice
IMG_5682.jpeg

Baja Lights on the front bumper.
IMG_5684.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: AggieOE and dstock

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I had to do a double to make sure you didn't live in Texas. haha The platform looks great! The details in the cut are nice. Did you run any fabric underneath between the wood and the back of the seats?
Also, I've heard cowhides can be a target of some bugs or beetles. Maybe you already know that. I think they're simple to keep away though.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I had to do a double to make sure you didn't live in Texas. haha The platform looks great! The details in the cut are nice. Did you run any fabric underneath between the wood and the back of the seats?
Also, I've heard cowhides can be a target of some bugs or beetles. Maybe you already know that. I think they're simple to keep away though.
Yah - could have been Texas :) - Thanks for the words on the platform, I do really love it, and there is enough room underneath that I put a small slide out so I can store all my repair bits and bobs...
I did not put any fabric under the rails in the cargo area, there is the carpet between the seats and the platform.

The cow hide is not a real hide, it is a faux one, so no worries about creepy crawlers :)

So far have been on 2 trips with it and it is awesome.

Reactions: AggieOE

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Recently have been noticing since I went to the bigger tires and added the rear bumper that my transmission temperatures has been going up.
Last trip to Death Valley I was pushing 240>250 getting out of the valley, and just regular driving I could get up around 190+. Something needed to change!

Did I mention I have specification OCD? seriously, I am that person...

Around the same time with all this extra weight, Alice was getting a little saggy in the rear....
I have the 200lb rear springs from Toytec but figured with all the extra lbs + camping stuff + humans it was pressing the limits of what those springs were designed to accommodate.

Talked to the folks down at Shaffer off-road and they suggested adding a transmission cooler and going with OME heavy duty rear springs.

Well we finally got the work done < Thank you Annie and Mike + Alex + new guy!> and what a difference!

Rolling over Sonora pass my transmission maybe got to 200 - blasting furnace of dispair through the Central Valley, running around a cool 185... Ah-May-Zing!

So note to you 4Runner owners out there who are not running a scan-gauge.... get one - especially if you have loaded your rig up with goodies.

The OME Springs are great, the rig feels way more... hmm what is the right word... Proud now... and no sag or sway... Yup, were darn happy!
The ride is fine, not rough at all.

See ya down the trail!

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Recently have been noticing since I went to the bigger tires and added the rear bumper that my transmission temperatures has been going up.
Last trip to Death Valley I was pushing 240>250 getting out of the valley, and just regular driving I could get up around 190+. Something needed to change!

Did I mention I have specification OCD? seriously, I am that person...

Around the same time with all this extra weight, Alice was getting a little saggy in the rear....
I have the 200lb rear springs from Toytec but figured with all the extra lbs + camping stuff + humans it was pressing the limits of what those springs were designed to accommodate.

Talked to the folks down at Shaffer off-road and they suggested adding a transmission cooler and going with OME heavy duty rear springs.

Well we finally got the work done < Thank you Annie and Mike + Alex + new guy!> and what a difference!

Rolling over Sonora pass my transmission maybe got to 200 - blasting furnace of dispair through the Central Valley, running around a cool 185... Ah-May-Zing!

So note to you 4Runner owners out there who are not running a scan-gauge.... get one - especially if you have loaded your rig up with goodies.

The OME Springs are great, the rig feels way more... hmm what is the right word... Proud now... and no sag or sway... Yup, were darn happy!
The ride is fine, not rough at all.

See ya down the trail!
Nice! Also am curious which trans cooler you went with!

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Yah, the one installed is a B&M SuperCooler #70255 link here

Last edited:

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
One small addition I have done is add another TPS monitor to my spare. Turns out the spare does not automatically come with one.

You can tell the difference if the valve stem is rubber, it does not have TPS, if it Is metal it does.
I had to have Toyota do this, and the cost is around 200$ for the stem, and then they need to install and program the ECU to read the new monitor.

The reason I did this is I rotate my tires every 5000 miles, this way I always have a pressure monitor for the tires on the ground.

Downside - While the read-out in the car shows the location, this may not be the actual location unless they reprogram when they switch the tires around.

Side note : not all cars allow for 5 TPS sensors to be monitored by the ECU, so if you go this route make sure it can be used.

IMG_5265.jpeg

Ocean_Ranger

Rank VI

Expedition Master I

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pickton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6SRP (GMRS WROQ518)
One small addition I have done is add another TPS monitor to my spare. Turns out the spare does not automatically come with one.

You can tell the difference if the valve stem is rubber, it does not have TPS, if it Is metal it does.
I had to have Toyota do this, and the cost is around 200$ for the stem, and then they need to install and program the ECU to read the new monitor.

The reason I did this is I rotate my tires every 5000 miles, this way I always have a pressure monitor for the tires on the ground.

Downside - While the read-out in the car shows the location, this may not be the actual location unless they reprogram when they switch the tires around.

Side note : not all cars allow for 5 TPS sensors to be monitored by the ECU, so if you go this route make sure it can be used.

View attachment 265837
I had no idea that this was possible. This post inspired me to embark on a diy version. I’ve purchased a bead-buster tool, an extra TPMS, and a bi-directional OBD tool to reprogram the ECU. The downside is that I’ve spent more on tools than you paid the dealer. The upside, assuming that the reprogramming works, is that I avoid the dealer and can program new locations when I rotate tires.

Reactions: Advtres