Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
OK gang, here is my plan for a 45 (?) daylong adventure in either 2017 or 2108. This is still in the early planning stages so any recommendations of additional places to see along that route or more interesting roads to explore would be appreciated.

Alaska Adventure.png

Praying it can come together in 2017.

Starting in SoCal I will be heading up Hwy 395 to the 36 and over to Lassen NP. From there it is up to Crater Lake with a resupply stop in Vancouver WA to see my son and family.

Then it will be off to Glacier NP, Banff NP and Jasper NP before heading up Canadian 97 and 4 to Dawson. Now does anyone know the road conditions for the road north out of Dawson along the Canadian 9 and US 4 to Chicken? I would love to make the loop north but I don’t know if a Subaru Outback with a 2” lift is capable on that road.

From there it would be down to Skagway to jump on the Marine Ferry System to Glacier Bay NP and to continue south on the ferry to Prince Rupert.

Getting off at Prince Rupert I would head to Prince George along Canadian 16. Then south along the 97 and 99 to Whistler, sneaking my way back into the US and heading east along the 20 to visit the Cascades and then head south along the 97, stopping to see Mt Rainier and the east side of Mt St Helens. Then it would be back to Vancouver for a little R&R then south along the coast and Hwys 101 and 1 back home.

Well what do you think?

Happy adventures to you all.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Looks like a great route, Sierras, 101, Columbia River Gorge (avoiding East OR), Glacier bay. How many miles is your route?
Thanks I am excited for this adventure. Haven't checked the total mileage as it is still a preliminary route. Retired so time and distance is not a concern right now. I'll check the mileage later and add it to the post later.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I will keep an update on the planning and the actual adventure here on Overland Bound. Be happy to meet any of you along the way and if there are any of you who want to tag along for a bit I would welcome the company. Again this trip is a ways out but planning will take a while. Pre-trips will be happening for shake down.
Happy adventures

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, as we are also retired, and this is a trip we'd like to take. Curious why you don't plan to go any further north into Alaska?

Several years ago, we did a 14 day cruise/rail trip, leaving Vancouver, sailing to Anchorage, flying to Fairbanks, and then the train south back to Anchorage. I was bored on the cruise (the only one I've ever taken) and loved the trip south on the train. We want to go back and explore more at our own pace. Plus head north to the Beaufort Sea.

Back before the Internet and cell phones, an acquaintance of mine traveled from Texas to Prudhoe Bay in a 1958 MGA Roadster. Many of the roads that are now paved, weren't then, and accommodations were far fewer and rougher. Unfortunately, one fellow who was following along part of the trip was fatally injured in a wreck. Here's a link if you're interested: http://mgaguru.com/mg11.htm

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Did a cruise in 1999 like the one you took with my late wife and we enjoyed it, yes it was nothing like overlanding but still pretty good. Just got off another round trip cruise, 8 days, from Seattle with family as they wanted me to get away after my wife's passing last March. Good times but again that is what got this idea in my mind. This is a tentative, highly likely to change route. Wanted to see timing and how long the trip might be. I would love to travel further north to Prudhoe Bay if possible. Am traveling alone right now and this influences my travel plans, but company is always welcome. More travelers more adventures. If plans change as I get further into planning I will keep this post updated. I would like to go north out of Dawson and head to Haines to catch the Ferry to Glacier Bay. If that happens then it will be back to Skagway and overland back home instead of the Marine Highway, which sounds better to me all the time.
Happy Adventures.

Reactions: Steve

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Been doing some serious thinking here and I think I want to eliminate the Marine Highway south and drive it.. Will see more of the land and I think it will be less $$$. I still will use the Marine Highway to get to Glacier Bay between Haines and Skagway. With a possible trip to the far north if possible. Any comments - recommendations?Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 11.03.22 AM.png

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

Been doing some serious thinking here and I think I want to eliminate the Marine Highway south and drive it.. Will see more of the land and I think it will be less $$$. I still will use the Marine Highway to get to Glacier Bay between Haines and Skagway. With a possible trip to the far north if possible. Any comments - recommendations?View attachment 12537
For us the Marine highway was not an option, pulling a trailer was stupid expensive $$$
After driving both the Dalton HWY and the Dempster HWY, we found the Dempster more scenic and full of wildlife. With the Tuc HWY opening in 2018 it will allow you to drive right to the Sea, the oil facilities in Purdhoe Bay prevent that.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
For us the Marine highway was not an option, pulling a trailer was stupid expensive $$$
After driving both the Dalton HWY and the Dempster HWY, we found the Dempster more scenic and full of wildlife. With the Tuc HWY opening in 2018 it will allow you to drive right to the Sea, the oil facilities in Purdhoe Bay prevent that.

Thank you for the info. I have thought of doing the Dempster as it was right out of Dawson but was unsure of the scenic value of each. So another new plan arrises, this will save crazy milage and be a better fir for me. Will a Subaru Outback with 2:" lift make it to the end? And how is the road to Chicken out of Dawson, passable with he same vehicle? Thank you for your input. Any other experiences will be welcome.

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

Thank you for the info. I have thought of doing the Dempster as it was right out of Dawson but was unsure of the scenic value of each. So another new plan arrises, this will save crazy milage and be a better fir for me. Will a Subaru Outback with 2:" lift make it to the end? And how is the road to Chicken out of Dawson, passable with he same vehicle? Thank you for your input. Any other experiences will be welcome.
Your very welcome! The Dawson/Chicken Hwy is very doable and scenic!

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Gunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Avondale, Arizona
Member #

Been doing some serious thinking here and I think I want to eliminate the Marine Highway south and drive it.. Will see more of the land and I think it will be less $$$. I still will use the Marine Highway to get to Glacier Bay between Haines and Skagway. With a possible trip to the far north if possible. Any comments - recommendations?View attachment 12537
Terry,
I am looking at a similar trip for April - June 2018 while my starting point will be Avondale, Arizona. Just ordered a 5X9 Hiker Trailer to stay in. My initial plan is about the same route with Homer, Alaska added in for some deep sea fishing for flounder. Will continue to watch your posts.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Terry,
I am looking at a similar trip for April - June 2018 while my starting point will be Avondale, Arizona. Just ordered a 5X9 Hiker Trailer to stay in. My initial plan is about the same route with Homer, Alaska added in for some deep sea fishing for flounder. Will continue to watch your posts.
Do you have a post written for yours? I would enjoy following it to see how your adventure goes.

Agplant

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

High Level, Alberta
Member #

Got a link to your thread here, Re: your questions on the "Top of the World highway" from Dawson to Chicken, that road is very doable with the Suburu you mention, I have ran it several times on a bike. Was just up there again in June and the worst part was a couple miles of construction just east of Chicken. There is a stretch of about 10 miles of almost new pavement just west of the border crossing, on the Canadian side the road is good gravel till just about into Dawson where it is paved again. The border crossing is only open I believe from 9 till 9 so may need to keep that in mind as you travel through.
I am in the planning stages of a run north next June/July with the jeep & trailer and plan to do the Dempster all the way to Tuk. The extension of the road is going to be finished this fall from Inuvik to Tuk. June is a great time to travel as it never gets dark that far north. If you are going to run the Dempster or Top of the world the roads are coated with Calcium Chloride for dust control, which packs down close to pavement when dry but turns to grease when wet and gets onto and sticks to everything.